Darker picture after 811 install

BCH

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Atlanta GA
I noticed after the install of my 811 that the picture was noticeably darker on all channels. Connections were made with a DVI and a S-Video (the same cable that was previously connected to a 6000) cable. Both connections rendered a equally dark picture. Yes, this situation can be overcome with the brightness control but it renders the remaining five video inputs too bright.

Dish senior technical support indicated that a replacement unit might have the same results. He did indicate that this problem could probably be corrected with a software update.

I would like to know if others have experienced this problem. If you have tech support would appreciate a report.

I just had my 811 installed this morning. I have noticed the darker picture too. However, are you sure that when you adjust your input on the S-Video or DVI that you are also changing the other inputs? On my Pioneer 630HD each input has its own adjustments and you can adjust each individually. :)

Yes I am sure. I have a SONY KV-34XBR910 and all settings of a selected picture mode (Vivid, Standard, Movie & Pro) are applied universally to each Video Input. Dish tech support did indicate that the 811 output (brightness) should be consistent with other (dvd player, vcr, xbox etc.) componets.

If what we observed is indicative of other 811s then a software update to address this problem is in order. Please report your experiences to Dish tech support.

I just had mine installed about 2 hours ago, and I noticed the same thing. I think you are correct; it's something that should be addressed by a software update. Along with the guide, the picture formats, and (oh please) allowing information on the local OTA digital channels.

And Dish, if you're listening, how about the ability to control our DVD recorders with the 811? VCR's are a thing of the past!
Other than that, my new 811 is great!

They will only address it if enough people make them aware that this is not an isolated problem.

If its darker with DVi then its your set. The DVI passes the digital signal over, and lets your set set the actually color, brightness, etc.

Of course it may indicate that the 6000 and now 811 was doing a poor color rendition before sending the analog signal to your set.

It was mentioned comparison to svideo. A more meaningful comparison is to Component/RGB outputs.

I'm seeing darker also using component. I've also noticed that some of the audio is also lower, on some channels.

Just got my install this Sunday morning and I'm noticing it being darker as well using the DVI.

My standard def channels seem to look a bit worse though. My standard def on my 721 looks better than my 811.

I had to call tech support twice today because for some reason when they listed the Amplifier/Tuner codes in the book they stopped at N. I have a Sony and so anything starting with N-Z was omitted. The first tech gave me the wrong codes. The second one didn't know what to do, and even asked for me to pull the smart card out. (I guess they don't know that the 811 doesn't have one) and finally gave me a list of codes that one of them worked.

So if you have a Sony A/V receiver here are the list of codes to choose from:

Hope that helps

Neutron said:
I had to call tech support twice today because for some reason when they listed the Amplifier/Tuner codes in the book they stopped at N. I have a Sony and so anything starting with N-Z was omitted. The first tech gave me the wrong codes. The second one didn't know what to do, and even asked for me to pull the smart card out. (I guess they don't know that the 811 doesn't have one) and finally gave me a list of codes that one of them worked.

So if you have a Sony A/V receiver here are the list of codes to choose from:

Hope that helps

I went through the same thing yesterday. You can also use the POWER SCAN function on the remote to have it scan for the codes.

This dark thing some are reporting with the 811 using a DVI is odd. My first impression of PQ when I first conected the 811 via DVI to my plasma was that the picture was brighter/crisper with more color depth.

Not sure if it makes any difference but I am using a 10 foot Dual Link DVI-D cable. BTW, it is a generic Cables to Go cable, not even a fancy unobtanium plated "Monster Cable Magic Fairy Dust Rip Me Off" type cable.

Yes, the power scan is listed in the manual.

Turn on you amp/receiver/tuner. Hold the aux button until all the buttons glow and then flash. Push 2 (For amp or tuner). Press the power button. Then keep pushing the up or down button repeatedly until the receiver turns off. Then push the # key.

It's possible some units can't be controlled but I think most can. Good luck,

I tried that and it didn't want to scan, it just wanted to turn my TV off. And yes I did the 2* thing with aux. I had to call DISH to get the code for my Sony A/V Receiver since they didn't list it in the 811 book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts