Darn Trees....I need 12 feet!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

starpm

Original poster
May 11, 2008
Help....just built a new home in the woods...200 ft driveway and the only place the Dish guy said we could get a good signal was near the bottom of the driveway, and then should be at least 10 ft high. We will eventually be putting a storage shed there, and can mount the dish on the roof, but we need a solution until then. My husband was looking at a design similar to a windmill base. Any ideas on mounting a dish 10-12 feet up?

I've seen dishes mounted on large trees. And they work. At least for a while.

I've seen dishes mounted on large trees. And they work. At least for a while.

Or att least until the wind starts blowing. We got our dishes in the winter and one was mounted on a tall aspen, the other on a tripod. When the ground thawed they were mounted on poles. Whenever it was gusty we briefly lost signal.

If you are trying to get more than 1 satellite on a dish (a Dish 500 or Dish 1000), a tree mount is not going to work very well. In order to get more than 1 satellite you have to "give up a little" on signal strength in order to get the others. So a little movement can go a long way.

Make yourself a telephone pole by cutting one of the trees on your property, sink it at least 1/3 of the length in the ground. Attach guy wires on 4 sides to counteract wind forces. Use a truck winch to pull the guys tight.

I'm certainly not recommending a tree mount. But the one I saw was on a large tree, and not very high. No wind movement. Just a convenient mount for a lazy man, I guess. Tree growth must affect it.

As long as you realize that a tree is not ideal and definately not a long term solution, and that it will need to be moved, you can always go with a tree mount depending on how long until you get a shed down there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts