David Lettermen in DD-2.0

KenB123

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Northern Illinois
Can someone confirm this? With Dish-TV broadcast, my AV receiver indicates that the David Lettermen show is broadcast in DD-2.0 audio. On the other hand, Jay Leno is DD-5.1. I kind of expected (and thought) that the Lettermen show was up-to-date in this respect.

Can someone confirm this? With Dish-TV broadcast, my AV receiver indicates that the David Lettermen show is broadcast in DD-2.0 audio. On the other hand, Jay Leno is DD-5.1. I kind of expected (and thought) that the Lettermen show was up-to-date in this respect.
It could be that your local station did not flip the switch after the local news.

It could be that your local station did not flip the switch after the local news.
Hmmm!

It's been like this all week as best as I can tell. This local station is advertising though that the preceeding news show is going full-HD in about 2-weeks. Wonder if this has something to do with it.

CBS sends it out in full DD, but some affiliates (like mine) can't broadcast 5.1, so all network HD stuff comes in as 2.0.

Dolby Digital - Stereo?

I thought Dolby Digital was only for Surround Sound, like 4.0, 5.1, 7.1, etc.

My TV and receiver only say DD for things in surround. When I go to something in stereo, it says 2.0, but the DD light goes out.

Dolby Digital - Stereo?

I thought Dolby Digital was only for Surround Sound, like 4.0, 5.1, 7.1, etc.

My TV and receiver only say DD for things in surround. When I go to something in stereo, it says 2.0, but the DD light goes out.
From what I know, it is most commonly associated with 5.1, but can include 1.0, 2.0, 4.0, 4.1, 5.1. With 2.0, it is a 2-channel carrier. The receiver may then process into 4 output channels. So what may on the surface appear to be 5.1, may in fact not be if more closely evaluated (e.g., is there a distinct center channel, or just front-speaker stereo?).

I don't recall my former Yamaha receiver as indicating the input source other than it being Dolby or DTS. But the Onkyo clearly indicates whether it is DD-5.1 versus DD-2.0. And I am seeing DD-2.0 for Lettermen. I will continue monitoring.

From what I know, it is most commonly associated with 5.1, but can include 1.0, 2.0, 4.0, 4.1, 5.1. With 2.0, it is a 2-channel carrier. The receiver may then process into 4 output channels. So what may on the surface appear to be 5.1, may in fact not be if more closely evaluated (e.g., is there a distinct center channel, or just front-speaker stereo?).

I don't recall my former Yamaha receiver as indicating the input source other than it being Dolby or DTS. But the Onkyo clearly indicates whether it is DD-5.1 versus DD-2.0. And I am seeing DD-2.0 for Lettermen. I will continue monitoring.

Yeah, DD2.0 is like what used to be called Dolby Pro Logic, or something like that. Now there is Pro Logic 2 and so on. I can never keep it straight, so if the SONY receiver has a blue light, I know its in DD5.1 surround sound, and I am happy. :)

Letterman has been DD-2.0 for as long as I've been watching here in NY. I remember there being one night where my receiver said it was in 5.1 and I checked the rear and center speaker and there was no audio whatsoever coming out from them, not even laughs or music. So I'm guessing this is a DD-2.0 show, but whoever is saying they consistently get it in 5.1, do you hear anything from the rear or center speakers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)