Day-1 - did Dish provide any promised Olympics HD last night?

People, I don't think DISH can just put NBC-HD up nationally without waivers. That's not Dish's fault. I've got no complaints with Dish giving us Uni-HD. That's all they can possibly do.

I agree that this may be all they can do... so why didn't they know this a month ago when the CEO announced that they would have the special Olympic channel? One might just think they had worked that out with the rights' holder before they make announcements and press releases!

StevenD said:
Well, how productive is it for you to post a new thread complaining about Dish every day?

Why dont you just change providers and be done with it?

Well seems like some people can't live with them or without em :devil:

Universal HD *IS* the "special Olympics channel." It is being broadcast in HD for everyone with an HD receiver to see.

I've gone back and read these announcments and summaries, and I have not yet seen where Dish stated that they would be offering the national NBC HD feed via MPEG2 without waivers to everyone.

I can see why someone would have read this into some of the statements.

What is too bad is that NBC is reserving all of their broad based event coverage to NBC HD. I had hoped that Universal HD, USA, CNBC, and MSNBC would have carried a lot of the competition in its entirety. Then NBC HD would put together the major events with Costas quarterbacking it for a slick nightly show.

What seems to have derailed all of this is that NBC's research indicated that full coverage of "minor" events would not get the ratings of hockey & curling, for which there appears to be strong followings. So the NBC HD coverage is going to hit highlights with a heavy dose of figure skating in great detail, while the cable channels are eaten up with hockey & curling. This is bad news to me, as I'd rather see the in-depth coverage of the other events. I doubt I will watch any curling.

I believe Dish will be airing something like 230 hours of Olympics programming, not counting the 9399 channel, with over 100 of that in HD.

waltinvt said:
Now I know the same predictable Dish apologists will jump in with their usual flap but the point is this is just the latest in a series of Dish lies.

This is getting really old Walt. There was no lie here, just incorrect assumptions. I am also disappointed there isn't more Olympic HD on Dish, and while I can agree with, and respect your opinion on many of the issues you bring up, this just smacks of ranting for rantings sake. If having a different viewpoint than you makes me a "Dish apologist", so be it, but be aware your coming dangerously close to being the other side of that coin. IMHO

NightRyder

I was under the impression that UnivHD was one of the new HD channels we were getting as part of DN's HD expansion package of 25 channels. Charlie and others clearly stated that a HD channel dedicated to Olympic coverage would be added. Well, since we didn't get what was promised or maybe they couldn't negotiate a fair programming price, maybe we can request that Charlie add a second channel of Lifetime for Women or Lifetime Movies as a temporary fix? Come one Charlie, please.....:rolleyes:

StevenD said:
Well, how productive is it for you to post a new thread complaining about Dish every day?

Why dont you just change providers and be done with it?

Steven,
It doesn't look like you're new here but apparently haven't noticed that you can look under the thread title to see who authored it and thus avoid all the stress of subjecting yourself to information that obviously offends you but since you seem like a smart guy, I assume you jumped in here because you want to be here.

To answer your question: it's only unproductive if what I'm saying is not true. Since you seem to take issue with it, I assume you're going to point out where I'm going wrong

NightRyder said:
This is getting really old Walt. There was no lie here, just incorrect assumptions. I am also disappointed there isn't more Olympic HD on Dish, and while I can agree with, and respect your opinion on many of the issues you bring up, this just smacks of ranting for rantings sake. If having a different viewpoint than you makes me a "Dish apologist", so be it, but be aware your coming dangerously close to being the other side of that coin. IMHO

NightRyder

NightRyder,
As I have always had a lot of respect for your many contributions to this board, your opinion of me on this issue is disturbing. I have never viewed you as one of the Dish "apologists" nor do I now. I will consider what you're saying and go back and review everything, including the press release, chat recap and what Dish has told Scott. While it's possible I've misunderstood something, I don't think I have. If I have I'll apologize.

As for "ranting just to rant"...........I'm actually not upset over missing any Olympic coverage since I actually have a real good OTA NBC digital feed that's providing a stunning, full power signal. My reason for "ranting" is because of all the people here (many new) that WERE confused and mislead by Dish's statments.

I know my passions run a little overboard sometimes but I have no tollerence for untruths and to me something left unsaid or delibertly stated in a less than clear manner IS an untruth.

Tom Bombadil said:
Universal HD *IS* the "special Olympics channel." It is being broadcast in HD for everyone with an HD receiver to see.

I've gone back and read these announcments and summaries, and I have not yet seen where Dish stated that they would be offering the national NBC HD feed via MPEG2 without waivers to everyone.

I can see why someone would have read this into some of the statements.

What is too bad is that NBC is reserving all of their broad based event coverage to NBC HD. I had hoped that Universal HD, USA, CNBC, and MSNBC would have carried a lot of the competition in its entirety. Then NBC HD would put together the major events with Costas quarterbacking it for a slick nightly show.

What seems to have derailed all of this is that NBC's research indicated that full coverage of "minor" events would not get the ratings of hockey & curling, for which there appears to be strong followings. So the NBC HD coverage is going to hit highlights with a heavy dose of figure skating in great detail, while the cable channels are eaten up with hockey & curling. This is bad news to me, as I'd rather see the in-depth coverage of the other events. I doubt I will watch any curling.

I believe Dish will be airing something like 230 hours of Olympics programming, not counting the 9399 channel, with over 100 of that in HD.

Okay I don't think anyone would argue with you about NBC doing a bad job with Olympic coverage on Universal HD, but Dish also has come control here and there was more they could have done to get an Mpeg2 feed of NBC LA and NY to as many people as the FCC would permit.

It would be one thing if everyone had Mpeg4 revivers, but most HD subscribers are still stuck with the mpeg2 and in those cases DISH not NBC is refusing to deliver that channel to them.

Hello boys...

Just happen to come accross this thread and was curious. Is UNiHD a temporary addition just for the olympics? Reason being is as I had no idea it was even available before stumbling upon this thread. I see it this morning...Yayyyyy!:rolleyes:

Dish 500 with 2 811's & 322 @110/119.

You have no idea how upset, disgusted, disgruntled, disappointed & removed I am with the whole mpeg2-mpeg4 coversion, and what will eventually become a forced equipment upgrade, the whole "we'll be adding this and that" crap, the lies or shall I say misleading truths, and the complete lack of respect and disregard for their current customer base.

And, as always the case, when someone here posts their displeasure with E*, someone else chimes in with their..."Why don't you just leave them then" bit. Well, the reply to that is... "SHUUUUUT UP!!!!"

Some of us, if not many simply don't have that luxury. I for one live in an area where I don't have access to cable, and there are no OTA HD signals with the exception PBS HD due to the terrain. So my only option is satellite be it E* or D*.

I truly envy those of you who live in an area where you can receive OTA HD networks or get HD lil's. I'd be willing to give my left nut for that luxury! And, I'm sure someone will chime in with a smart-ass remark..."Why don't you just move?" Well, as I stated above....

Walt...nice to hear from you again buddy!

Jimmy J said:
Hello boys...

Just happen to come accross this thread and was curious. Is UNiHD a temporary addition just for the olympics? Reason being is as I had no idea it was even available before stumbling upon this thread. I see it this morning...Yayyyyy!:rolleyes:

Yes, it's temporary. Universal HD is being allowed to be "seen" by the MPEG2 receivers during the Olympics only. Then it will go back to having an MPEG4 header so you will only be able to receive it if you have a 211, 411 or 622. In addition, you will have to subscribe to one of the new HD packages, which cost more the the $10 package all HD subs used to have. So don't get too used to it!! :)

NightRyder said:
This is getting really old Walt. There was no lie here...

*snip*
... but be aware your coming dangerously close to being the other side of that coin. IMHO

Opinions are great things, aren't they? :) In mine, the only thing getting old is the build up of misleading and inaccurate statements E* keeps making to its customers.

Isn't it pretty much a standard in our country that if you complain/protest once people forget quickly and nothing changes. It requires ongoing complaints to get things changed... I believe it's true about little issues, and big ones. In the grand scheme of things, satellite TV is a little one... but we are interested in TV, that's why we come to this website!

I am pretty new around here, but everytime I come I decide which posts interest me and so I follow the links and read them, and I ignore the ones that don't interest me.

Since the whole point of a message board is for people to discuss topics, thoughts, and opinions, why does it surprise us when people post them? Some people post because they need info, some because they have concerns, some because they have differing opinions, and some (I think) just because they like to argue.

Personally, I read threads like these because I have found myself agreeing with Walt about this general issue. I am not sure why someone would spend their time reading this stuff if they weren't interested, but hey, it's a great country that we can, and more power to those that disagree. Hopefully, Scott's making some money from the site, and we get a place to talk about our feelings with 1000's of other people. We all win!

I hope nobody gets too twisted about anything having to do with TV... no position on TV can be "dangerously close" to anything... IMO! :) Thanks to everyone... I enjoy chatting here!

waltinvt said:
NightRyder,
As I have always had a lot of respect for your many contributions to this board, your opinion of me on this issue is disturbing. I have never viewed you as one of the Dish "apologists" nor do I now. I will consider what you're saying and go back and review everything, including the press release, chat recap and what Dish has told Scott. While it's possible I've misunderstood something, I don't think I have. If I have I'll apologize.

As for "ranting just to rant"...........I'm actually not upset over missing any Olympic coverage since I actually have a real good OTA NBC digital feed that's providing a stunning, full power signal. My reason for "ranting" is because of all the people here (many new) that WERE confused and mislead by Dish's statments.

I know my passions run a little overboard sometimes but I have no tollerence for untruths and to me something left unsaid or delibertly stated in a less than clear manner IS an untruth.

Walt, no one has pushed Dish harder or been a more informative source of information on DNS than you. I applaud and support your efforts in that area. If I've never thanked you before, please accept my sincere appreciation.

My previous post was prompted by my perception that your recent posts have gone from a tone of rightful frustration to what could easily be perceived as angry bashing. I would hate to see you get stuck with that label because once you go down that road it can be very hard to recover credibility. Of course this is just one members opinion so you can assign it as little or much value as you wish.

One last thought and I'll shut-up :clap . IMHO - Playing to the mob is a no win proposition, eventually you'll say the wrong thing or fail to show what the mob considers the proper amount of indignation and they will turn on you. I've seen it happen here several times. Don't get caught in that trap.

Take care,

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Walt, no one has pushed Dish harder or been a more informative source of information on DNS than you. I applaud and support your efforts in that area. If I've never thanked you before, please accept my sincere appreciation.

My previous post was prompted by my perception that your recent posts have gone from a tone of rightful frustration to what could easily be perceived as angry bashing. I would hate to see you get stuck with that label because once you go down that road it can be very hard to recover credibility. Of course this is just one members opinion so you can assign it as little or much value as you wish.

One last thought and I'll shut-up :clap . IMHO - Playing to the mob is a no win proposition, eventually you'll say the wrong thing or fail to show what the mob considers the proper amount of indignation and they will turn on you. I've seen it happen here several times. Don't get caught in that trap.

Take care,

NightRyder

Hey, don't feel like you have to shut up - I and I'm sure others value your opinions - humble or otherwise:D . Again, your points are well taken.

One thing you may not have noticed in the middle of all my rants this past month, were a few (not many I admit) of my posts where I stated that as bad as I felt about some of the stuff Dish was pulling, I still considered them to be the best option (least of all evils may have been my term) but that it was so frustrating because of their potential and the way they keep blowing it. That's what this is all about. I don't think I'm really catering to the mob. Although I care about people not being taken unaware, I'd be voicing these opinions anyway - I just say it the way I see it. ALthough I admit I'm still not used to these tri-focals the VA gave me.:D

waltinvt said:
Hey, don't feel like you have to shut up - I and I'm sure others value your opinions - humble or otherwise:D . Again, your points are well taken.

One thing you may not have noticed in the middle of all my rants this past month, were a few (not many I admit) of my posts where I stated that as bad as I felt about some of the stuff Dish was pulling, I still considered them to be the best option (least of all evils may have been my term) but that it was so frustrating because of their potential and the way they keep blowing it. That's what this is all about. I don't think I'm really catering to the mob. Although I care about people not being taken unaware, I'd be voicing these opinions anyway - I just say it the way I see it. ALthough I admit I'm still not used to these tri-focals the VA gave me.:D

Fair enough Walt. Thanks for clarifying. Sometimes I can't resist playing the Devil's Advocate (or is that the Advocates Devil? :devil: ), anyway it's a new week, we'll have to see if E* can make it through this one without pissing even more people off. :D

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
<snip>.... anyway it's a new week, we'll have to see if E* can make it through this one without pissing even more people off. :D

NightRyder

Good outlook:) , I agree.

In fact, maybe I'll try not to piss anyone off this week either. Yea, that's the ticket.
..............................but there is always that "no rebate for 942 lease subs" thread ..............I'm sure there's more I could say about that
..............hmmmmmm ...........nope, I'm really going to try. It'll be the new me:D

The problem doesn't lay as much with Dish or NBC as much as the Italian Olympics Committee. When I was working at the Salt Lake Olympics I learned a lot about the broadcasting of the Olympics. NBC has bought the broadcast rights from the Italian Olympic Organization. So, if they don't feed NBC HD signals, no HD...The Salt Lake Olympics had access to HD cameras and equipment and so there was more content available. We watched in our venue the direct feed from the Salt Lake Committee which had the same graphics that NBC later used. You look at the cameras and none of them at the venues say NBC on the side of them...They are the host countries people and equipment. So they just might not have access to equipment so that is probably why NBC and Dish don't have nearly the amount of content that Salt Lake did. My two cents...

Well, it's obvious to me that NBC decided to do their highlights from Torino in SD, vs the HD highlights from Athens. Whether NBC ever intended to do HD highlights from Torino is open to speculation. Maybe Dish assumed that the NBC feed from Torino was going to be the same as the Athens feed.

I'm not "apologizing" for anybody here, I just think there might have been some wrong assumptions made.

I'm not sure, But, it seems, if I remember correctly, there was a HD only channel during the Athens Olympics on E*. A 4 or 6 hour loop of HD programming. Plus there was a Network HD feed for the local affiliates. OTA. I am assuming that this HD only channel is the channel that we are all looking for. I also would like to know where this channel is at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)