daylight savings time question

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
yesterday I was getting some of my timers set up for this week and I wanted to get the NASCAR race setup for next Sunday. However, I noticed the time is off once you get to Sunday. It's an hour ahead. Mn does observe daylight savings.

I have a program that normally records at 10...however, the EPG says 11

I got my 508 after we turned the clocks ahead, so never run into this before. On any other receiver I've had, I always had to manually set the timers, so it was irrelevant.

Do I manually have to set my timers to record Sunday morning, or if I set it (using the select program and hit "select") will that work?

This is something that Dish just can't get right....

They can't distort the guide and list the extra hour twice. So, until the clocks get updated everything after the time change is listed 1 hour off.

Since WE STILL DON'T HAVE NAMED BASED RECORDING, any timers you create now for after the tiime change will be 1 hour off (they'll save the incorrect start time currently showing in the quide).

Existing timers will be ok since they have already saved the correct start time for the show (even though on the 501/508/510 if you "info" the timer it'll appear to be recording the wrong show).

It's very sad that Echostar hasn't fixed this problem a LONG time ago.

So if David's info is correct, just set a manual timer for the correct starting time, regardless of when the guide says it comes on. And since it's a race, you probably will pad the end time.

If this receiver had been released in 1999 it probably wouldn't be Y2K compliant. :p

ShadowEKU said:
My stand alone tivo didnt have a problem but it is name based recording.
This reply has nothing to do with the Daylight Saving question. I would like to know how can i hook up a tivo to my 6000. I appreciate your help.

Thank you

TuxCoder said:
So if David's info is correct, just set a manual timer for the correct starting time, regardless of when the guide says it comes on. And since it's a race, you probably will pad the end time.

the race I can do in the morning

The problem is I have 2 shows that are on before I decide to turn the TV on (or get up for that matter)
One is at 4AM and the other is at 10

If I set it for 3:59-5:00 will the clock on the machine turn back at 2:00?

Hell, I might just do from 1:00-5:00 :)

dimi1963 said:
This reply has nothing to do with the Daylight Saving question.
Careful, it has much to do with the problem at hand. If Dish receivers had NBR, daylight savings time would presumably not be a problem (as stated about the Tivo). But since they lack the feature, the time shifting creates a problem. One more reason we must push more for NBR.

And to clarify, the problem seems to only be with going in before the time change to create timers that are only to fire after the time change.

This is why most of us Hoosiers just smile while the rest of the American TV-watching public have to run around the house twice a year, changing all their clocks... :D

Have fun!

ooo that's a good conversation starter ;)

How many clocks do you have to change? I have 6...

BFG said:
ooo that's a good conversation starter ;)

How many clocks do you have to change? I have 6...

hmm...lets see
15 :)
I've got 2 vcr's that automatically change but the other 8 don't :)
6 clocks and the TV in the bedroom

A rule of thumb for E* receivers this time of year.....

1. Weekly Timers set previously will continue to work fine after the switch....
2. NEW timers made from 10/24 on set to fire AFTER 1AM on 10/30 are suspect. (I normally record Saturday Night Live off of the West Coast feed so I have to be careful myself on this one.....)

My recommendation..... If you are adding new weekly timers, DON"T set them for weekly just yet. Set them to record once and do it again next week and set it to weekly then. If you are going to set a one time timer this week for a show on this week, go ahead, it should work fine. For a one time timer for 10/31 or later I would hold off until 10/31 to set it. If you can't do this (going on vacation or something,) set a manual timer for the time and channel you want to record.

I've done this for the past few years and haven't been burnt YET.

No prob....

I agree that they should figure out a better way to get this right after several years of trying, but at least I've found a workaround that gets the job done for me in the meantime.....

TuxCoder said:
This is the 21st century. Nearly all of my clocks automagically change themselves.

Hoosier daddy? :p
[RANT]If it's the 21st century, why is everyone adjusting their clocks and their schedule twice a year? You should be working for a company with flex-time rules that lets you decide to come in later if you don't like commuting in the dark. And what about all the 24/7 manufacturers? When did that widget roll off the production line? 2004/10/31/02:45? Which 02:45, the first or the second?

We got rid of rationing after WWII, why not DST?[/RANT]

Anyway, since my Guide doesn't shift, all the programming does. (I guess Indianapolis "fixes" this by tape-delaying their networks during DST so Prime-time always starts at 8:00 pm) So, while I don't need to change clocks, I do adjust timers to the new programming schedule.

I'm just going to delete all my timers Sunday and re-add them to avoid any potential problems. There's only about 13 of them, so shouldn't take tooo long...