Dayton WHIO 7 Transmission Problems

Why, you don't pay for locals, you don't get free locals just because the station is down?

Dish is providing alternate locals for those who subscribe to locals. Hint. Hint.

I have Dish but do not subscribe to locals. WHIO has been down for me for four days and they said it could be a few more.

Hey DISH, how about giving us Dayton, Ohio non local subscribers a free preview?
How about doing the free preview on YoutubeTv and Hulu? Each offers a 7 day "freebie" I believe. So between the two, you get two weeks. This isn't Dish's problem to solve.

How about doing the free preview on YoutubeTv and Hulu? Each offers a 7 day "freebie" I believe. So between the two, you get two weeks. This isn't Dish's problem to solve.
Although he does have a point. Why hasn't the proper decision makers given Dish the green light to import another local that carries the network?

There have been countless times where WBZ has experienced issues and Dish seamlessly imported WCBS from New York to cover the outage. One time the Patriots were playing a game and WBZ went out. The feed simply switched to the other team's local CBS. Now in this case CBS owns WBZ and owned the stations imported to cover the outage. Still, there should be a variance to cover issues such as this.

Just some food for thought. It shouldn't matter who owns the station, just go to a near market and import their local that covers the network. Again, this isn't a carriage dispute, it's a technical issue.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Although he does have a point. Why hasn't the proper decision makers given Dish the green light to import another local that carries the network?
No, actually he doesn't. It was posted earlier in the thread that Dish & Direct got permission to import Cleveland CBS. So that's being done for those who subscribe to locals. Bob55 doesn't pay Dish for locals but wants them to provide an out of area local for free.

No, actually he doesn't. It was posted earlier in the thread that Dish & Direct got permission to import Cleveland CBS. So that's being done for those who subscribe to locals. Bob55 doesn't pay Dish for locals but wants them to provide an out of area local for free.
And that is where I did not read earlier. Thanks for the clarification. I assumed this was a Dish related issue and not related to OTA, as I would not assume that Dish needed to fix my lack of reception of a network via OTA. Seeing that you state that the network did give the variance, my point is moot.

Dayton WHIO is temporarily broadcasting on 16.2. Dish and Direct TV are now using the 16.2 broadcast signal to provide WHIO. Below is the WHIO news bulletin.

Meanwhile, WHIO-TV is partnering with Think TV to provide a signal using Think TV’s channel 16.2. DISH and DirecTV customers can see Think TV’s transmission of WHIO-TV on WHIO’s normal channel. Over-the-air viewers can see WHIO-TV on 16.2.

“This is a very innovative partnership with Think TV to get us back on the air as soon as possible for viewers,” said Rohr. “We are still working on some technical issues to stabilize the audio during a few shows that are in surround sound, but our news and most programming look and sound very good.”

Think TV and WHIO-TV engineers hope to resolve those audio issues today.

“We want to thank our partners at Think TV for their hard work to help us continue service for the Miami Valley,” Rohr said.

This feed over 16.2 is only temporary as we’re testing our signal over their transmission equipment.

“Thank you for your continued patience and loyalty,” Rohr said.

Meanwhile, crews continue to work at WHIO-TV’s tower site to completely restore WHIO’s signal to the entire Miami Valley. The antenna has been repaired, but crews worked through the night and into the morning on a switch issue.

“We are doing everything we can to make sure the Miami Valley has access to WHIO-TV, and we are grateful to our partners at Think TV for their help,” Rohr said. “We are hopeful that we will be fully operational very soon.”

Climbers have been working for days on the tower, which is almost 1,000 feet in the air – the equivalent of about three football fields tall.

We will continue to provide updates as the work continues.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Interesting. FWIW, if stations go to ATSC 3.0, that's how it's supposed to work. A 1.0 station dumps it's sub channels and carries the other station's primary feed(s). The 3.0 station then carries it's and the other station's primary feeds in 3.0.

Meanwhile, crews continue to work at WHIO-TV’s tower site to completely restore WHIO’s signal to the entire Miami Valley. The antenna has been repaired, but crews worked through the night and into the morning on a switch issue.
That'll teach them to buy those cheap Menard's light switches..

Reactions: charlesrshell
Since I have the Columbus satellite locals from Dish I can’t see the Dish Dayton 7.0 satellite broadcast. Although the OTA channel 7 signal broadcast on OTA 16.2 is 480i (SD) the picture is not really that bad.

Dayton Channel 7.1 WHIO signal has been restored. Here is their news bulletin:

DAYTON — WHIO-TV’s television signal has been restored and Channel 7 is back on the air.

Engineering crews have been battling snow, ice and bitter cold temperatures nearly 1,000 feet in the air to restore the signal and bring WHIO-TV news and programming back to the Miami Valley.

Turn on WHIO-TV today and if you don’t see us right away, rescan so your TV or converter box can find WHIO-TV once again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts