DBS Adds to MVDDS Challenges in Court

silversurfer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Las Vegas, Nevada
From our friends at SkyReport.com

Last week, the Satellite Broadcasting and Communications Association, EchoStar and DirecTV asked a D.C. appeals court to review the Federal Communications Commission's April order concerning Multichannel Video Distribution and Data Service, the controversial spectrum-sharing wireless technology satellite TV interests say will interfere with DBS signals.

The FCC order that the SBCA asked the U.S. Court of Appeals to review denied several petitions for reconsideration in a proceeding that set MVDDS operating rules, which would operate in the spectrum band set aside for DBS. In petitions sent to the FCC, SBCA, DirecTV and EchoStar argued the MVDDS service rules will result in harmful interference to DBS customers, the SBCA said in its weekly Report from the President.

In July 2002, SBCA and DBS providers filed a petition for review of the FCC order that authorized MVDDS to operate in spectrum set aside for DBS.

If this would interfere with DBS, then I'm all for them keeping MVDDS out. If MVDDS could operate just fine without interferring with DBS, then I'd tell the DBS companies to take a hike.

I think they need to test this out and find out what is the truth. (PS You won't get that from Lawyers either).

This could be a way to free up LOTS of space and solve problems with providing LIL to all 210 markets. This may be important in the future as HD becomes more popular and when locals among the other channels will need to be in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)