DBS signal retransmission

eugenek

Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I have a friend who lives across the street from me. Both of us live in a high-rise apartment buildings. He has a balcony which faces a direction that allows him to receive DirecTV and/or Dish Network DBS signals. I do not. I am trying to research if it is somehow possible to construct a setup which will allow us to do the following:

1. Receive a DBS signal from a DBS dish
2. Feed it into an amplifier
3. Inject it into a high-powered microwave transmitter with a directional antenna
4. Beam the signal across the street, where it will be accepted by a microwave receiver
5. The microwave receiver would connect to a satellite signal input of a DBS receiver.

Challenges:

1. Since the communication will be one-way, the remote DBS receiver will not be able to control the remote LNB like it typically does over the coax cable. Additionally, the remote LNB will not have access to the DC power normally supplied by the DBS receiver. Therefore, the DBS signal must be somehow received by some device that emulates LNB in a sense that it will still sit in a position where LNB usually sits and will still allow for the DBS signal that the dish receives to be concentrated in a certain location. In other words, the objective is to achieve a redirection/amplification of a DBS signal WITHOUT altering it in any way.

2. Due to a very high frequency of a DBS signal (typically 11.70-12.40ghz), it is unknown what kind of amplification/signal strength will be required for the signal to be able to penetrate at least 2 walls and travel over a distance of approx. 300Ft (actual distance between buildings).

Several people have told me about a device that allows for "redirection of a DBS signal, but I was not able to find any actual proof that such device exists, so I consider it to be a fairy tale.

However, if anyone has the knowledge that may help in building the setup mentioned above, please let me know. My building has a very crappy, ancient and overpriced cable TV system (no digital cable, no DVR, etc) so satellite is the only option for me. And no, the building management does not allow dishes to be installed on the roof.

Once again, the purpose of this effort is NOT to steal, hack or do anything illegal with the DBS signal. It's just an attempt to receive and legally subscribe to a satellite TV service without being able to install a DBS antenna

Thanks in advance

Eugene

It would probably be easier and A LOT cheaper to just retransmit the video and audio of the channel you want to watch and setup a remote to control a box at the neighbors home.

I agree wtih mkm4 on this. It makes so much more sense to send the video and audio from his receiver at your house over to his. It can be done but if you want some good hardware to do it with it may cost some money depending on how bad he wants the service.

If...you could transmit the dish signal, you would want to stack the lnb, then both polarities would fly to the receiver had and you could select any transponder.

I think you could do it with the right transmit antenna and receive antenna and some pal 1's (high freq amp provides -1dbm signal level output power) (a -1 signal level for dbs freq is very high power)

to send the signal 300 ft and catch a -5 is not a big deal, you just need to get the right antennas on both ends.

doable for sure

Sattec,

Thanks a lot for the info. Can you point me to any brands and/or equipment models that could be used for this?

Regards,

Eugene

you could pull this off a lot easier with a really good uhf remote antenna and a wireless video sender.

eugenek said:
Sattec,
Thanks a lot for the info. Can you point me to any brands and/or equipment models that could be used for this?
Regards,
Eugene

sorry buddy....this is highly experimental and wouldn't know where to start to look for the antennas needed .......the pal amp is available lots of places 120$ max price.

eugenek said:
Sattec,

Regards,

Eugene

If you are ready to spend the thousands of dollars it is goingto require to do what you want you can try here for the equipment you'll need.

how far is across the street ,if close (100 feet), get a rg6 coax and a 20 foot ladder and aerial run the coax to your house and tap into his dish. then get your own account. hell it isn't like it hasn't been done before, believe me it has, a lot

btw, retransmission is piracy

as far as to connecting to the electric co pole, the wiring is already there! if both of your cable drops come from the same pole, barrel the two drops together at the pole and VIOLA !!! you now have a run from your house to his!!!!! :eek: ;)

tech advice, if more than 100 feet use a line amp instead of a barrel at the pole :yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)