DD5.1 over HDMI with the ViP receivers ??

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Sorry if this is a repeat topic (probably is). I tried searching and couldn't find my answer in a short time. Dish Tech Support couldn't answer it either, Duuhhh!

Do the ViP receivers (particularly the 211 and 622) pass DD5.1 over the HDMI connection or do I have to also add the Toslink connection? IIRC, there was discussion in the past about this and I believe I recall that only stereo L+R is sent over HDMI. Right now I have only made the HDMI connections in my new system. I know I'm hearing SS but it might just be the receiver doing some kind of AFD function. (I still have a lot - too much actually - to learn about this new receiver...!)

TIA and BRgds...

I have a 722 and can confirm that yes, it does pass the source audio format right along over HDMI.

So far I've seen my a/v receiver identify signals from my 722 in Stereo, Dolby Pro Logic, and Dolby Digital 5.1 - all over HDMI.

Yes it works now. In the beginning there was only 2 channel sent via the HDMI cable, but that was changed quite awhile ago.

And does. The 622 got upgraded last March (L401) and the 211 has had it from the beginning. If HDMI is connected directly to the TV, 5.1 may not get passed through to your A/V receiver.

My 622 is connected to the TV via HDMI cable. The TV is connected to the audio receiver via Toslink cable. DDS 5.1 is passed to the receiver

Great guys, tks for the responses! I guess I was remembering the "early days" of the 622 when the HDMI audio signal was only L+R. Where I have my 622 I'm feeding HDMI to the TV and Toslink to the SS system, so I guess I have always been getting the DD5.1 SS experience there. In my newer system with the 211, I used to have only HDMI to the TV, then L+R audio from the TV to a "cheapie" SS system that did not take any kind of digital input, so that was only simulated SS at best. (It would do DD5.1 from a DVD but no other way.) Now I upgraded that to a receiver and the HDMI runs from the 211 to the receiver and then HDMI from the receiver to the TV. So I wanted to be sure I was indeed getting the DD5.1 from the sat. signals via HDMI at least as far as the receiver without having to add the Toslink cable. It will be interesting to see how the receiver identifies the 5.1 signals. (First I need to figure out how to activate the "Display" mode vs. the "GUI" mode - GUI is only for setup and does not display signal status AFAIK - but that's a topic for another day/thread!)

Thanks for the confirmation...!

My 622 is connected to the TV via HDMI cable. The TV is connected to the audio receiver via Toslink cable. DDS 5.1 is passed to the receiver

Beware, most current TV models will only output 5.1 on their optical ports from their internal tuner, not an HDMI source. This is so that nobody can get unscrambled 5.1 audio if program providers decide to implement copy protection over HDMI.

Yes, but this is totally dependent on the TV. Not all makes/models will do what your TV is able to do. :) Just a warning to others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)