Dead 64 GB AT&T iPad3

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
SWMBO is at the Genius Bar now. I tried to update the s/w and it trundled on for a while and then said an error has occurred, try reinstalling/ to reinstall you must do a factory reset/etc. just a loop. Sometimes it cannot see the iPad but def tries to do something with it. Internet search not terribly helpful. Some just tried 20-30 times until something "took."

So- if the Genius says it is a crisp bit of warm breakfast wheat, what would you do? Air? Prob not, 32GB is the limit. The much superior Air 2, in 64 or 128? Or wait until June, when she's back from an overseas cruise?

What if they say it can be repaired, how much is it worth to repair? I'd say $200 easy, but maybe go as high as $350? More?

Air 2 64 4G is $729. Another hundred buys 128.

Thoughts?

I went from retina to the air 1 this year. Happy with it. Didn't need the fingerprint touch.
If your eyes get big on price to repair.....time to upgrade

I've had this happen a couple times with my 6 trying to upgrade. Spent some time online with Apple and they had me swap the USB to Lightening cable. Worked.

I have an Air now. If something happened to it I would go with the Air2 64GB. I have 64GB now and it is plenty for my needs.

Thanks.

We tried two different PCs, same result. But she just texted me that they fixed it. No idea how much.

I'd rather she take an older model overseas, Barcelona - Venice - Turkey and places in between.

Then, in a few years, move to an iPad that fully supports Apple Pay.

It took an hour. Then, she asked about the bill: Nada, zip point squat, ZED!

But the Genius did make an odd, to me, recommendation: Power down completely each night when you charge it.

Then, in a few years, move to an iPad that fully supports Apple Pay.

Just curious, why would you need that? More people seem to be moving to iphone 6+. Results just announced for the last quarter and its official now. ipads are being cannibalized for more upgrades to iphone 6+. While they didn't state specifically, I believe these were reduced numbers for the ipad mini, not the full sized ones. Apple does not break down the numbers but it would seem logical if spending the money, choose an iphone 6+ over the ipad mini. Then if you must own an ipad, go for the full sized screen. So, if full sized screen, why the need for Apple Pay full support as in NFC?

I suspect that the SOP in a couple years will be Apple Pay via Apple watch. Just so much easier than even a phone. People do get used to easy, and easy is not having to dig out your phone at the register.

Good question. -I- have a 6+. I use it where I can for payment, but that is one feature, probably the only feature, that I find of interest in the iWatch. Pulling out the credit card is only marginally harder than pulling out the phone

The iPad I gave to my wife 3 years ago. She lives on it, especially for genealogy. She does not want a smartphone. She, and her mother, have flip phones. Small ones. Model Antq roksRsof and it does all she wants. She thinks the iPhone screen is too small and prefers two distinct devices.

Apple pay on the iPads is not for retail cash registers. It is for online shopping. Essentially it uses a token credit card number for the transaction instead of sending your actual credit card over the internet - similar to what it does at the cash register. Online merchants that take Apple Pay do not get your credit card information, so if they are hacked the payment information is useless to the hackers.

Yes. That's why I said waiting for full Apple Pay was desirable.

Apple pay on the iPads is not for retail cash registers. It is for online shopping. Essentially it uses a token credit card number for the transaction instead of sending your actual credit card over the internet - similar to what it does at the cash register. Online merchants that take Apple Pay do not get your credit card information, so if they are hacked the payment information is useless to the hackers.

Thanks for the full explanation. Love coming here and learn stuff every day I need to know ! But, that would be software, not hardware so even my old IPAD 3 would be able to use Apple Pay, just not with NFC at the register. Do I have that right?

It certainly doesn't work on our iPad3. But I like what you're thinking. Maybe we've just not set it up?

Thanks for the full explanation. Love coming here and learn stuff every day I need to know ! But, that would be software, not hardware so even my old IPAD 3 would be able to use Apple Pay, just not with NFC at the register. Do I have that right?

No, because like on the phone it uses the fingerprint reader to verify your identity before giving out a credit card token. The credit card information is stored on a security section of the CPU that is tied into the fingerprint reader.

OK, but the Apple watch will work without a finger print reader. Just need to know the security code after you put it on, or put your finger across the back over the 2 sensors. There is no biometrics tying a persons, skin ID or Blood or heart rate to the device security so I don't understand why the ipad wouldn't work the same, with a security code.

BTW- I do not plan to switch from my Samsung s5 to the iphone 6+ until I get a delivery date on my Apple watch. Presently, I use the Sony Smart watch too much to be without it during the week. Smart watches are addictive as they keep you so informed. Once you have one, it's like a smart phone, you never want to return to a dumb phone or dumb watch. So, I'm sure all these advantages and limitations will become clear soon.

I suspect my employer would be upset if I used those watch notifications.

If I had to suffer with a boss that was so demanding of my time he got upset with me glancing at my watch to check my appointment calendar for a second, I'd be looking for a new boss. If you have to worry about that, either you are paranoid insecure or he is psychotic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)