Dead/Dying 922

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dhickman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Central OK
I have had to reset this thing daily.

At first the system would freak out once in a while when changing channels.

Then it would have problems if I started to watch a show that was already being recorded.

Then when I accessed sling from remote to watch a recording the system stopped all recording and had a black screen for about five minutes. Then everything was fine.

Today it worked fine on all of the kids videos, and then when I wanted to watch 60 minutes after they went to bed, the system would lock up and show a black screen for about five minutes and then it would let me access live television, access another recording and the same thing.

Me thinks there is a hard drive issue here. So I called up tech support and they are sending me a new one.

I have backed up my schedules and setting to the remote, we will see how well it will restore on the new system.

I had the same problem, seems as if the HDD has died. I called and spoke with advanced tech support, after reset to factory deafaults and unplugging from the power a few times, they decided to send me a new box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is part of the problem. Hard drives above 500 GB tend to be less reliable than smaller drives.

I work in the computer forensic field and deal with large drives all of the time. I have noticed that the newer drives are starting to have the reliability of the older pre-ide drives.

For my field this is no issue since we always run some kind of RAID, but for the PVR market this can easily be a problem since that drive is constantly being written and read from.

Lets see how the new one goes.

Supposidly you can back up your schedule to the remote. I hope this is true, so I do not have so spend several hours tweaking the unit.

I had almost forgot about that feature. I have backed up my favourites lists, and my timers, so I will have to see how it works when I get my replacement unit.

If a drive is bad, chances are it will dial very early in its life. I would rather have one die when you just got it then die when you have it loaded with stuff. :)

Here is part of the problem. Hard drives above 500 GB tend to be less reliable than smaller drives.

I work in the computer forensic field and deal with large drives all of the time. I have noticed that the newer drives are starting to have the reliability of the older pre-ide drives.

For my field this is no issue since we always run some kind of RAID, but for the PVR market this can easily be a problem since that drive is constantly being written and read from.

Lets see how the new one goes.

Supposidly you can back up your schedule to the remote. I hope this is true, so I do not have so spend several hours tweaking the unit.
Dammit...where were you when I was taking a graduate course in Digital Forensics last semester? :)

If a drive is bad, chances are it will dial very early in its life. I would rather have one die when you just got it then die when you have it loaded with stuff. :)

Yes. I believe in stressing out new electronics. If they are going to fail, usually it is within the first few hundred hours or so. This is why computers used to be burnt in before shipping. Now only high end systems get this treatment.

Yes I much prefer that it dies after a couple of days. As it is I am still unhappy that I am going to miss a few shows, but that is life.

dhh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts