Dead pixels

penguinbrat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
With all the issues with the PQ since switching encoders - has anyone else had "dead pixels" show up? Essentially a white dot that will not go away (same spot each time) unless I bring up the guide - changing channels doesn't help... Just curious if I need to call CS or not....

Yes, I was told by others here that it's a known problem. If you press the Voom button, and then the Watch button this will take care of the problem. (Rebooting the stb takes care of it, but that's a pain.)

Penquinbrat, I get the same from time to time as well as a line down the center of the picture. Bringing up the guide usually doesn't help with either of those abberations but I just shut off the STB and turn it back on and it goes away. The problem seems to be in the STB, probably a software issue, as I didn't have it before the last upgrade. I am just hoping that if/when Voom continues, we get a software upgrade that will correct the issue. Also, for those that are reading this, the problem was noticed before the new harmonic encoders were in place, so that is most likely not the problem.

When I first saw the dead pixel on the television, I was oh noooo!!!! The TV is still under warranty, but what a pain (that being the only TV in the house). I felt better that the DVD input did not have the same dead pixel (white spot) and turning stb off removed white pixel. Glad to see this post and find out that it is happening to others. (selfish I know.)

kccody said:
When I first saw the dead pixel on the television, I was oh noooo!!!! The TV is still under warranty, but what a pain (that being the only TV in the house). I felt better that the DVD input did not have the same dead pixel (white spot) and turning stb off removed white pixel. Glad to see this post and find out that it is happening to others. (selfish I know.)

My initial reaction was much the same. Although, it was d*mn, this is a brand new TV and it was so heavy and such a pain to get in the house that I don't want to do it all over again!

Picture problem - little white oblong shape

It shows up about 2/3s up the screen and about 2/3 to the right. I first saw it on my DLP TV and I thought I might have a dead pixel or something. After a while it'd go away so I ignored it.

Well it came back today on the DLP set and I was seriously concidering calling service out until I noticed it only does it connected to the Voom Box. I tried switching from DVI to components and the picture flaw remained.

tonight in my bedroom I saw the same thing on my 27" SD tube TV. This is something coming in the video signal! This is pretty annoying.

It's happening on 2 of my three STBs so far. I never watch the #3 box but I'll try and keep an eye out for it. This is REALLY annoying!

I'll try and get a screen capture of it....

Shawn

Shawn, this has been discussed before and Voom is aware and working on the problem...the short workaround is to call up the guide (press the VOOM button) then press the view button and that should clear up the artifacts. If not, I just cycle the STB off then back on and then it goes away.

Ahh good - then I'm not going crazy :).

Here's what it looks like:

PQissue001.jpg

PQissue002.jpg

As you suggested, 'Voom' and then 'back' cleared it up. It immediately cleared up as soon as the graphics came up.

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
It shows up about 2/3s up the screen and about 2/3 to the right.

Yea, I thought it was my TV too. Then I found a comment about it elsewhere in the forums.
AND, it is in the exact same spot as mine. Should be easy to fix in the next SW rev... (I hope there IS a next SW rev!)

If I were you, I would be much more concerned about those huge yellow circles though! WOW! ;)

Andrew

Although this is an easy problem to fix (Voom then watch) you guys that are counting on a fix in the next software should not hope so much. Its been a bug since the very first software in november of 03, and we have had many software releases since then, so just get used to it, fix it when it appears and keep on VOOMIN!!!

I noticed it Saturday morning and thought I was looking at having to live with it as my Panasonic is almost 3 years old and I'm not in a position to buy another set right now. After I went out to run errands and fired up the set in the evening I saw that it was gone (a big sigh if relief)! That's when I figured it wasn't the TV.

Just out of curiosity - does everyone have the "dead pixels" in the same spot or are they random, on mine (which only started up recently) it's in the same spot... If it's the box and has been there all along (a year plus for some), lets hope that the new fancy, smancy DVR will cure it all :D

Look like this?

PQissue001.jpg

I posted about this last night too. It sounds like this has been a Voom problem for a while.

Mine is always in the exact same place.

Shawn

Fixed pixels have been with us for quite some time. We though the last SW update would resolve. Fixed pixels are typically the result of menu usage.

When a fixed pixel appears DO NOT LET IT REMAIN as it may cause damage to your screen over an extended period of time.

When you notice a fixed pixel simply recycle the power (power on off and on) the STB; this should remove fixed pixels by refreshing the screen... that is until you use menu functions again. The problem is intermittent and random for the most part.

>>> For those who experience a constant fixed pixel in the same location it is highly advisable to request a STB swap-out by contacting 800-GET-VOOM asap. Long term exposure could damage your screen without intervention. <<<

Annoying but prudent until a fix.

This is a known software bug.
VOOM-WATCH sequence always works for me.

(Threads merged)

Shawn95GT said:
Look like this?

PQissue001.jpg

I posted about this last night too. It sounds like this has been a Voom problem for a while.

Mine is always in the exact same place.

Shawn

Yep, same spot as for me - I would assume that if this was a software bug that it would have been fixed well before now, especially since it has been around for a long time... Given that, and switching video modes (bringing up the guide) fixes things I'm guessing it has to do with the video card on the box - going back to assuming that this fancy DVR will fix it... This is a weird problem though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts