Dead Satellites?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadg2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Maiden Rock, WI
Look at Lyngsat North America satellite list. I've never seen this many birds with no data before ever. Who's maintaining/paying for all those dead birds on the arc? That's crazy to think not that many years ago, every bird and most transponders were filled to capacity. Sad to see this hobby wilting away:(

No data refers to TV and Radio services. Many of these satellites have active data services that are not applicable to the Lyngsat database.

With most satellites outliving their estimated life expectancies, they have been replaced as primary providers and continue to be operational for many more years in non critical assignments. There are more secondary satellites available in inventory than ever and are infilling the arc.

Wilting away? Just because there are more active satellites, doesn't indicate less channels. I am not observing any reduction in number of transmitted satellite channels. Specific channels come and go, but the number of available FTA channels remains almost unchanged over the past 10 years.

Reactions: fargo.hendryx
Old sats that have been replaced,new sats that are still in testing.Almost half of them are Dish/Direct/Sirius/XM sats.Mostly just parked as spares or waiting to be moved somewhere else.
And as Brian said, just not being used for tv or radio,but not necessarily unused.
As far as the hobby goes,not really their concern ;)

Reactions: Titanium
Wilting away? Just because there are more active satellites, doesn't indicate less channels. I am not observing any reduction in number of transmitted satellite channels. Specific channels come and go, but the number of available FTA channels remains almost unchanged over the past 10 years.

Your statement may be true for C-band, but certainly is not for Ku band where not only has there been the continued eroding of 24/7 channels available, but also the continued decline in feeds.

On my system of switches I have openings for 22 satellites. Not too many years ago I even managed (and wanted) 23 with an A/B switch. Currently, I have only 20 in operation (just dropped 85W off the system) and could easily take off 5 - 8 without any real loss (for example, 72W, 89W, 101W, 127W, as well as two of the three DN satellites that haven't had FTA channels in years, 61.5 & 110W) So not only has there been a decline in channels, but also a decline in the number of satellites with channels (and don't forget we lost three slots since I have been doing FTA, 74, 79, and 129).

Don't forget in the analog days there was only one channel and some audio subcarriers on a transponder. Now there are multiple channels sharing the same transponder.

Carl

Hi All.

FYI... on a somewhat related topic, the oldest man made satellite in orbit to this day is Vanguard 1.
It was launched in 1958 and transmitted data until 1964, It is expected to remain in orbit until 2198 !!!

John

Reactions: FTA4PA
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts