Dead SD DVR - FIL wants to upgrade to HMC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nvguy38

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 30, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So, my Father-in-law has a seriously old SD DVR where the HDD has finally given out...will not record anything...throws all kinds of errors. He's out of contract and is looking to upgrade his seriously outdated system to handle the new HMC. Problem is, DirecTV doesn't want to budge off their 'offer' of $397 to go to the new HMC. He's cool with all the other charges associated with using the HMC, just likes the option to be able to record 5 shows and wants D* to treat him right. I think he's been with them like maybe 6 years? Been using a deal he got through Quest (now CenturyLink) with very minimal programming and nothing but SD content. He's trying to get caught up to the 21st century and willing to pay some extra but not the ~$400 D* wants to charge for the HMC. I think his current bill is just South of $80/mth...trying to stay around that if at all possible.

Anyhoo, any thoughts on how he should go about trying to get a deal on a 2-year contract renewal which will include the Choice Xtra programming, Whole Home DVR service and HMC plus 1 HD receiver? He's already called twice with the 2nd time getting retention....D* still won't budge off the price. I know current subs are usually screwed while new subs gett huge breaks...BUT...for comparison....D* is offering new subs the HMC for $99 with up to 3 FREE HD receivers....bookoo discounts/rebates on programming for the first 2 years.....just trying to see if he can catch a break if I'm able to give him some solid advice.

Any and all suggestions welcome!!

Thanks!

I am a tech csr and we are not allowed to give any kind of deals like that on the HMC. It's 399 for current customers. He might try threatening to cancel, customer retention MIGHT be able to do a deal on the HMC but don't quote me on that.

Hello nvguy38,

Like anyone else that goes to retention it is totally the luck of the draw. Some people get a discount and others do not. There are some who try again and again until they get what they want but still others do not get a discount. By the way the HR34 is superb but it might have a few quirks during the first week or two. He will need to upgrade to a SWM system if he does not currently have on as the HR34 is only SWM and will not work on the older non-SWM (legacy) system. A SL3 or SL5 dish (with 4 cables out to the SWM16 or SWM8. The best option for a SWM is the SWM16 as there is little to no need to upgrade the satellite hardware as it is capable of handling up to 16 tuners (8 on each half of the SWM16). I did not get a deal on the HR34 through Customer Service. I made a purchase on EBAY for $349 per unit. Since I already had an SL5 to a multiswitch system I purchased the parts that I needed to replace and installed them myself. The SL5 dish was installed some years ago by DirecTV when I upgraded to HD/SD system from my original SD (101 only satellite system).

Yeah...he will need all of his equipment replaced...LNB and everything else involved with the SWM setup. I think he's going to try for a Supervisor in retention on Monday...keep trying the customer service roulette wheel!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)