Deal Plus Tax?

AndyMon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Long Island, NY
I looked at my bill from E* today and noticed that they charged me $13 plus change for "sales tax & fees" on the $149 purchase of my 6000 receiver. They've never charged me sales tax in the past for either receivers or remotes or service. CSR said that it's what they do for hardware. I don't believe they have a physical presence in NY (I'm assuming that DNSC doesn't count). Is this normal or not? Is this legal?

AndyMon said:
I looked at my bill from E* today and noticed that they charged me $13 plus change for "sales tax & fees" on the $149 purchase of my 6000 receiver. They've never charged me sales tax in the past for either receivers or remotes or service. CSR said that it's what they do for hardware. I don't believe they have a physical presence in NY (I'm assuming that DNSC doesn't count). Is this normal or not? Is this legal?

As long as the sales tax is sent to NY State, it's quite legal. It may well be law that they have to charge the tax, even without a presence. I'd be interested in what the "fees" part is.

The Dish csr told me today that I would have to pay tax on my "FREE 510". Now excuse me but how much is tax on a free dvr? I passed on the free dvr for now so I can get a 522 at a deal price when they come out.

MikeD-C05 said:
The Dish csr told me today that I would have to pay tax on my "FREE 510". Now excuse me but how much is tax on a free dvr? I passed on the free dvr for now so I can get a 522 at a deal price when they come out.

The tax on the FREE 510 will be the amount of tax you would pay on the value (MSRP) of $299 (that's how sales & use tax laws usually work)

Ah, but isn't this why we buy out of state via mail order and on line? As far as I know Congress hasn't changed the law requiring an in state presence to charge sales tax, much to the dismay of local state taxing authorities. I know that a state can charge you a tax but the out of state seller is not required to pay one, yet.
Bobby said:
As long as the sales tax is sent to NY State, it's quite legal. It may well be law that they have to charge the tax, even without a presence.

I live in Florida and Dish has always charged me sales tax and a fee on services, which Florda requires.

If you figure a way out, let me know.

Sales and Use Tax

But when you buy mail order or Internet out of state, most states require you to then pay use tax on those purchases. :) I'm sure you are all doing that.....right? :eek:

The fact is, a company can charge sales tax for any state it wants to...as long as they then pay it to the state they charged it for. Many companies are starting to do this in preperation for the new Unified Sales Tax plan that is being worked on. Trust me...the state governments know how much money they are losing from internet commerce...and they will do whatever they can to recoup it.

They don't charge tax unless they have a store in the same state .

I got the Tax removed off my 6000 purchase .

ROLLTIDE said:
They don't charge tax unless they have a store in the same state .

I got the Tax removed off my 6000 purchase .
Would you like to tell us how you did this? Some details, please..... :)

ROLLTIDE said:
Call the CSR's at Dishnetwork and after about 3 hours on the phone they will take the charges off.
Let me see, that would work out to roughly $4.35 p/hr of my time. I'd be better off selling pencils on the corner. Hardly seems worth the effort unless you're a real stickler for principle and have lot's of time to burn. Oh, well :(