Deal with NPS to "save" distants on DISH!

Its no different then you going to your local cable company and buying space on their leased access channels then running ads for Satellite TV. Its your time you paid for it, you can run what you want on it as long as its legal. And NPS is legally selling distant network services as it has been doing for YEARS. Just now however they are going to gain a large number of folks who are Dish Network customers as well (as they are going to gain Sky Angel Customers)

Smart business move from NPS and all LEGAL!

Eh, what do I know about legal standards, I'm only a lawyer in real life. Let NPS put any other programming on E*'s transponders and they'll be fine. DNS by and through an E* asset, and its toast. Your bias won't make it otherwise.

Scott Greczkowski said:
No they are not NPS can run whatever they want on the transponder.
And that is what we will find out tomorrow.

The injunction is broad enough to not afford Echostar much wiggle room. It was designed in that fashion for a purpose.

Scott, the question is, who do I pay my bill to for my locals. When I'm charged with local channels, does my payment go to Dish?

I hope the NPS distants go through, but I really think the court will shoot it down. Should that happen, I'd still like to see NPS go through with offering distant nets on Ku-band. They could sell their own STB's (leasing transponders from some other company). Granted, not as convenient as running through your current E* box, but still would give an option besides going to D* for distants.

I would say its NPS that is doing the wiggiling ang giggiling and making the money. DirecTV was more than happy to activate a full set of NY and LA on my secondary account with them. Of course I did have to legaly qualify for FOX to get it even from them.

DirecTV and its minions are just mad that if this goes threw all those switch from Dish commercials might be in vain.

Dish just wont have a lot of mad customers racing over to DirecTV at least here in West Virginia. Saves them a customer and us viewers the rest of the footbal season.

Bob

Okay, here's another legal noodle to digest, Greg: Echostar is in a business agreement with all of the program providers, right? Therefore, according to your broad interpretation of the terms of this injunction, they can no longer provide their own programming! Brilliant!!

And through association with those same business partners, neither can DirecTV!!! ANY company doing business with the four Echostar holdings taint any companies they do business with. I'm sure we can come up with hundreds of examples.

"Shut 'er down, Clancy. She's a-pumping mud!!!"

Last edited:
You would figure that Dish could find a way to up link a west coast UPN or MY( (WWOR) network feed as well.

There is NO way to do that now, since it is illegal to uplink ANY new "superstations" - & since these would NOT be considered "distant networks", they could not be uplinked under that license, either.

They ONLY way this could be done, would be for those same west coast stations to license their entire broadcasts to the entire US - ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

And through assosiation with those same business partners, neither can DirecTV!!! ANY company doing business with the four Echostar holdings taint any companies they do business with. I'm sure we can come up with hundreds of examples.
You are correct, Newscorp is selling Dish Fox News, Fox Movies, Fox LIL's etc. guess that makes them "in concert" with Dish, shut them down as well.

Then how is it possible for there to be national networks broadcast around the country from Atlanta and Safrancisco. Lets not forget Dish used to have stations in Seattle and other places that were sent out nationwide.

Or are all the stations like WWOR, WPIX,WGN,WTBS, KWGN and KTLA all grandfatherd as they were superstations in the early day.

Sorry if Iam confused on this one.

Bob

I have a question regarding the NY-CBS HD station. Is this considered part of the HD Line-up or a DNS? It seems that most people have indicated that although they have lost their DNS's, they still have the CBS HD. Since my recent VIP 622 install, I have not had access to the 61.5 satellite because the installer did not have the proper switch to connect the new Dish 1000 to the separate 61.5 dish. I have an appointment to have this done in a few weeks. Is this even necessary? If I can expect to continue to receive the NY-CBS HD channel, I then don't need to pick up the CBS DNS from NPS (saves me $2.50/mo).

Does anyone know, for sure, the answer to this?

Then how is it possible for there to be national networks broadcast around the country from Atlanta and Safrancisco. Lets not forget Dish used to have stations in Seattle and other places that were sent out nationwide.

Or are all the stations like WWOR, WPIX,WGN,WTBS, KWGN and KTLA all grandfatherd as they were superstations in the early day.

Sorry if Iam confused on this one.

Bob

They are not networks under the legal term. Very different situation.

Wrong, E* is in fact getting paid for the lease of its transponders for purposes of broadcast of DNS. That is what violates the court's Order.

*sigh* The transponder does not have "purpose", NPS is free to do whatever they want with it. It was decided BY NPS *AFTER* the lease was completed that they would sell distant networks. NPS will pay the lease fees to E*, NPS keeps $ the distant networks brings in. NPS is captalizing on an opportunity to make some easy cash, good for them.

Those of you agreeing with Greg on this, let me ask you, do you think that Sky Angel is "actively working" with E*? Sky Angel is providing a service that E* can't, religious programming beyond TBN, and no money other than leasing fees are going from Sky Angel towards E*. Why is this NPS arrangement any different?

No so.

Dish is leasing a transponder. NPS is leasing a transponder. NPS is putting up signal to sell to their (NPS's) customers. Dish is getting paid RENT on the transponder no matter if NPS has one customer or a million, and no matter what NPS puts on that transponder.

Its no different then you going to your local cable company and buying space on their leased access channels then running ads for Satellite TV. Its your time you paid for it, you can run what you want on it as long as its legal. And NPS is legally selling distant network services as it has been doing for YEARS. Just now however they are going to gain a large number of folks who are Dish Network customers as well (as they are going to gain Sky Angel Customers)

Smart business move from NPS and all LEGAL!

EXACTLY

And nothing is stopping NPS from changing their mind and offering ESPN, CNN, or whatever and competing with E* in an "America's Top 10" package on the transponder instead. NPS is a C-Band programming provider who is a COMPETITOR of E*

Foxbat said:
And through assosiation with those same business partners, neither can DirecTV!!! ANY company doing business with the four Echostar holdings taint any companies they do business with. I'm sure we can come up with hundreds of examples.
Scott Greczkowski said:
You are correct, Newscorp is selling Dish Fox News, Fox Movies, Fox LIL's etc. guess that makes them "in concert" with Dish, shut them down as well.
DirecTV does not own nor sell Fox News, Fox Movies, etc. And DirecTV's agreements have nothing to do with Dish Network.

Talk about a hollow argument.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)