Deal with NPS to "save" distants on DISH!

chaddux

Insert Clever Phrase Here
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 19, 2004
DMA 114
The major networks have filed an emergency motion because they think that Echostar's deal with NPS to lease satellite capacity on Echostar 7 at 119 is a deal to keep distant networks on DISH. See attached court filing below.

I guess it would work similar to the Sky Angel deal. You are technically doing business with another company but you use your regular DISH equipment to view the programming. NPS sells you distant networks but you view them on your DISH receivers. Very clever if it is correct.

Press Release regarding deal with NPS: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68854&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=937088&highlight=

Credit goes to DBSTalk for posting this information first.

Attachments

• NPS-Court-Filing.pdf
    202.8 KB · Views: 454
How can they prove that's what Echostar leased that space for? Nowhere does it publicly say that NPS is going to provide distants. And if so, wouldn't they wait before they already cut people off?

How can they prove that's what Echostar leased that space for? Nowhere does it publicly say that NPS is going to provide distants. And if so, wouldn't they wait before they already cut people off?

It sounds like they may have some inside information about the deal. Regardless, that's what the motion is for. They want to make sure that's what the deal is about and get it stopped.

It sounds like they may have some inside information about the deal. Regardless, that's what the motion is for. They want to make sure that's what the deal is about and get it stopped.

I don't think the networks have a case to be honest. This is no different than Sky Angel like you said, and given the nonexistant relationship between Sky Angel and Echostar, they are hardly in "active participation". It could work similar to the old DirecTV/USSB deal. E* found a legit loophole, good for them. Hope they get this running soon.

I don't think the networks have a case to be honest. This is no different than Sky Angel like you said, and given the nonexistant relationship between Sky Angel and Echostar, they are hardly in "active participation". It could work similar to the old DirecTV/USSB deal. E* found a legit loophole, good for them. Hope they get this running soon.

I agree but they are trying hard. Rupert really wants DIRECTV to benefit from this so he's going to do anything that might hurt DISH.

Seems like a good idea to me. Let NPS qualify subs and take the profit from it. Punishes E* some (not as much as before though) and lets customers who need distants keep them.

Hopefully NPS will hire some of Dish's CSRs who aren't that great with English for their distants qualifcation line. "Yes yes you like distant signal, very good I get you that sir" :D

Hopefully NPS will hire some of Dish's CSRs who aren't that great with English for their distants qualifcation line. "Yes yes you like distant signal, very good I get you that sir" :D

LOL! Unless they're selling the adult channels, then it is: "Me love you long time!"

I heard a rumor about this yesterday afternoon, but didn't report it as it sounded to crazy.

Boy was I wrong.

In fact the more I think about it, the more I think this is a great idea.

There is nothing on NPS site that says anything about need to qualify for their service. Does anyone know if they are/were able to provide to c-band customers without qualification process?

There is nothing on NPS site that says anything about need to qualify for their service. Does anyone know if they are/were able to provide to c-band customers without qualification process?

I don't think there is a qualification process with NPS since they do not offer local into local.

Technically I think NPS could sell anyone distant networks, and if they do that I know I'll be signing up tomorrow.

So You Know

NPS does have a license they have been providing Distant Networks to C band Customers forever. :)
The court document clearly states that Echostar's FCC license is being used to facilitate these channels. If that is the case, then the arrangement is flawed. Otherwise, there is nothing to stop this going forward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)