Deal with NPS to "save" distants on DISH!

Well I think would be cool if we had some choices as to where we could get are DNS from like Dish did for people who did not like New York or Los Angeles there were a few other options. . .

Chicago, Dallas, Denver and Atlanta if I remember correctly.

Dallas was on a conus beam for a few weeks earlier in the year, but is now back on a spot beam according to Lyngsat and Dish Channel Chart.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that is thoroughly confused about qualifying for DNS.

This is all hypothetical

Let's say I currently do not have either satellite or cable and cannot receive an OTA signal.

According to NPS I wouldn't qualify because I am not in their database. Why would I be in their database if I have never had satellite or cable?

I cannot receive an OTA signal on the Big Island because none of the Oahu stations have repeaters set up over here. Is this considered a digital white area?

Last edited:
I cannot receive an OTA signal on the Big Island because none of the Oahu stations have repeaters set up over here. Is this considered a digital white area?

Yes, the Big Island is a digital white area, but the qualification for a forced waiver depends on a few technicalities back on Oahu. Stations in markets 100 and larger that will stay on their current DTV channel are currently subject to digital signal strength testing. Stations that will revert back to their analog channel and markets smaller than 100 have until 2007 before HD waivers and signal strength measurements are allowed.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that is thoroughly confused about qualifying for DNS.

This is all hypothetecal

Let's say I currently do not have either satellite or cable and cannot receive an OTA signal.

According to NPS I wouldn't qualify because I am not in their database. Why would I be in their database if I have never had satellite or cable?

Unless the ruling has changed since December 1, to get NPS service, you have to be (or become) a Dish subscriber, have (or get) a Dish antenna and receiver and be able to pick up Transponder 15 on the EchoStar 119 satellite. Some of Dish's channels are spotbeamed to Hawaii, but who knows about Transponder 15.

Looks like NPS is going to win this one.

The judge has ordered decissionmark to once again offer its services to NPS so that NPS can qualify customers for Distant Networks.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=84265

I called tonight after being told I didn't qualify the first 9 times I called/emailed in since Dec 1st. This was the first time I was actually asked my street address. They checked and within 20 minutes I read off my Receiver & Smartcard number, gave credit card number and had the channels up and running. Looks like Decisionmark is following the judges ruling and qualifying customers. WOOOHOOO.

Voyagerbob

I'd rather have a mountain time zone to choose from but will take what I can get.

I called tonight after being told I didn't qualify the first 9 times I called/emailed in since Dec 1st. This was the first time I was actually asked my street address. They checked and within 20 minutes I read off my Receiver & Smartcard number, gave credit card number and had the channels up and running. Looks like Decisionmark is following the judges ruling and qualifying customers. WOOOHOOO.

Voyagerbob

I'd rather have a mountain time zone to choose from but will take what I can get.

bob

Do you have LiL from DIsh?

Voyagerbob

How is the PQ?

Mitch

Voyager Bob...U must have been one of the lucky ones. I just tried phoning and at the recording entered my phone # and was not qualified -- "at this time." Does that mean they were closed for the night?

Yes, I do have LIL from Dish Network.

The PQ is so/so. Not great by any means but watchable.

I waited until I spoke to a live person. This was around 7pm Dec 12th. I was put on hold once or twice while they went and checked (I'm assuming this was with decisionmark to see if I qualified). Not to bad of an experience. Hopefullly others will have the same luck to at least get your address checked instead of a phone number check.

Voyagerbob

I posted this in the other thread but I'll post it here too:

Ok I tried NPS again tonight and I think thier databases are more accurate now as I was able to qualify for FOX. I heard about the quality issues but I decided to activate them anyway because I figured I could always cancel. I guess they have worked on the quality since launch since they don't look "awful" anymore. FOX Atlanta still has a slight double image but it's sharp other than that. FOX San Fran looks really vibrant and sharp surprisingly, the only problem it looks like it has some slight "grain" in it. Hopefully they can keep working on these but I'll hang on to these for a while. Where are you guys reporting quality issues to NPS?

Persistance Pays Off

I have tried the NPS website every day since December 1st, and even tried calling the 800 number to try and qualify for the DNS package wirh NPS for the last 4 days, and the answer was always "You don't qualify". Sometimes the reason given was because I wasn't in their data base, and sometimes no reason was given, just the email back to provide my smart card number and I would hear back from them in 7 to 10 days. I haven't received a single response from NPS dating back to my first call on December 1st. THEN, this morning when I called the 800 number, I was surprisingly asked for my physical address in addition to my telephone number when I made my daily call, and presto, in about 2 minutes the lady came back on the line telling me I was qualified for ABC, FOX, and CBS DNS service, the price would be $45 for 6 months, plus $3 for submitting a waiver request to NBC. I gave her my credit card info for the 6 month service, and within 5 minutes I had the 6 channels I had paid for on all 4 receivers in my home. The PQ quality is better than I had expected, given the reports I have read from other members over the past several days. I might add that you should have the receiver number and smart card number for all receivers you plan on activating when you call NPS, as they will ask you for that information when you supply your credit card info. Another piece of info you may find interesting. I DO receive my local channels from Little Rock from Dish, so this apparently did not affect my qualifying for the NPS DNS service. Something has apparently changed at NPS in the last day or two in how they are qualify people for DNS service.

I have tried the NPS website every day since December 1st, and even tried calling the 800 number to try and qualify for the DNS package wirh NPS for the last 4 days, and the answer was always "You don't qualify". Sometimes the reason given was because I wasn't in their data base, and sometimes no reason was given, just the email back to provide my smart card number and I would hear back from them in 7 to 10 days. I haven't received a single response from NPS dating back to my first call on December 1st. THEN, this morning when I called the 800 number, I was surprisingly asked for my physical address in addition to my telephone number when I made my daily call, and presto, in about 2 minutes the lady came back on the line telling me I was qualified for ABC, FOX, and CBS DNS service, the price would be $45 for 6 months, plus $3 for submitting a waiver request to NBC. I gave her my credit card info for the 6 month service, and within 5 minutes I had the 6 channels I had paid for on all 4 receivers in my home. The PQ quality is better than I had expected, given the reports I have read from other members over the past several days. I might add that you should have the receiver number and smart card number for all receivers you plan on activating when you call NPS, as they will ask you for that information when you supply your credit card info. Another piece of info you may find interesting. I DO receive my local channels from Little Rock from Dish, so this apparently did not affect my qualifying for the NPS DNS service. Something has apparently changed at NPS in the last day or two in how they are qualify people for DNS service.

Yes I was told I didn't qualify the first few days by just using a phone #. If you use the automated system when you call you'll also be told you don't qualify. I just happened to call them last night out of curiosity and got a live person and was asked for my physical address and I was told I qualify for FOX (which is correct). This probably has something to do with them now using DecisionMark. The quality of the channels leaves something to be desired, but I'll leave them on at least until football season is over in 3 weeks and if they get the quality up to par with what Dish provides I'll keep them.

What is DecisionMark and how does it help evaluate us for dns channels?:confused: should I try to call for my dns again?

At first it seems NPS was qualifying people based on a phone # which wasn't accurate AT ALL. Now they are asking for a physical address to qualify you (using the DecisionMark qualification system) and it seems it's giving proper qualifying results now. Call them and see, you have to talk to a live person though because the automated system will still reject you.

At first it seems NPS was qualifying people based on a phone # which wasn't accurate AT ALL. Now they are asking for a physical address to qualify you (using the DecisionMark qualification system) and it seems it's giving proper qualifying results now. Call them and see, you have to talk to a live person though because the automated system will still reject you.

What is the tel# to call