Deal with NPS to "save" distants on DISH!

ti_yn said:
My point is, if satellite or cable are going to be used to redistribute broadcast stations, it should be to expand the consumer's choices, not diminish them. As it stands today, with legal use of LIL, any choices a consumer is offered are scarce.
But once again, for satellite to be a competitor with cable, satellite needed networks (to a point). In order to have the networks on board to be delivered via satellite, the networks would have some say in how their programming is delivered. They chose the Nielsen DMA method. There are numerous trade-offs here at work, even though it appears the broadcasters received a very good deal.

But the original intent on being able to get distants was all based on the viewer being able to receive a FREE signal OTA.

The original intent was to provide network signals to those who could not receive them any other way. These are locations that would be seeing a particular network for the very first time.

The OTA "free signal" standard was an attempt to define who was served and who wasn't. It was never intended to create multiple methods to receive a particular network. At one point you could not switch from CATV to satellite and get DNS unless you waited for 90 days.

Now, I agree with your desire to see other markets, but there are other ways to do that. In many cases a tower and antenna will get more stations than predicted and the effort can be very rewarding.

Last edited:
I just Called NPS up and they wanted a $10 fee to get my San Francisco Stations.....
They said that they will have to get a waiver first and should have it by Jan 17th 2007......
Now what are the chances of me getting the Stations by giving my Aunt Tilly Address in San Francisco???
or
Would it be best to have given them a WHITE area somewhere in the Desert somewhere in Nevada?????
Glad we have NPS......................JohnnyT

I just Called NPS up and they wanted a $10 fee to get my San Francisco Stations.....
They said that they will have to get a waiver first and should have it by Jan 17th 2007......
Now what are the chances of me getting the Stations by giving my Aunt Tilly Address in San Francisco???
or
Would it be best to have given them a WHITE area somewhere in the Desert somewhere in Nevada?????
Glad we have NPS......................JohnnyT

All this is because some idiotic old judge in Florida has a problem with this. I wonder what his problem is.

Sea Beagle said:
All this is because some idiotic old judge in Florida has a problem with this. I wonder what his problem is.
Slow down a minute. The only reason the judge issued the permanent injunction was because the law states that is what needs to be done, and because the higher court told Judge Dimitrouleas to issue an injunction. So it wasn't some crochety old judge that made a decision; there were multitudes of judges that looked over the decisions before Judge Dimitrouleas was forced to order an injunction.

For those who don't want to download and read legal documents, the Judge in the Distant Networks Permanent Injunction case has ruled that NPS can legally provide Distant Networks to Dish Network customers who qualify according to the normal qualification procedure.
(And the Judge also ruled that whether or not the customer subscribes to LIL via E* or D* is irrelevant.)

Just wondering what is a white area???
And what are some of the white areas that we can use?
Hope they OK my San Francisco address otherwise I will need a white area...
Glad NPS can get us locals but its hard to find a area i would think.JT

For those who don't want to download and read legal documents, the Judge in the Distant Networks Permanent Injunction case has ruled that NPS can legally provide Distant Networks to Dish Network customers who qualify according to the normal qualification procedure.
(And the Judge also ruled that whether or not the customer subscribes to LIL via E* or D* is irrelevant.)

The judge also ruled that henceforth the term, "In Concert," shall be replaced by the term, "In Bimson." ;)

Seriously though, I'm glad the judge and magistrate were able to see that this was merely an attempt by the plaintiffs to expand the previous injunction and ultimately grant D* a monopoly.

Barring some financial setback by NPS, I think DNS service is gonna be around a few more years. Of course the NAB and it's little minions can file suit against NPS like the Judge stated, but that is starting at ground zero all over again. Maybe the NAB needs attract better lawyers and stop paying their lobbyists so much. The NAB may have congress in it's back pocket but it seems they have some homework yet to do in the Federal Courts.

Of course the NAB and it's little minions can file suit against NPS like the Judge stated, but that is starting at ground zero all over again.
They can only file suit against NPS for violating the law as a separate provider of Distants.
The Judge has approved the concept of another company providing Distants on the Dish Network system.
So, NPS would have to do something wrong.
Since Decisionmark is providing NPS with all the decisions (of course) about who gets Distants, then it seems very unlikely that NPS could be in violation of anything other than providing a poor quality signal. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)