Dealing with a person selling on craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

george 2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
About three weeks ago I purchased a birdog from a person on craigslist, who said he was once a member of satellite guys. This person also sells satellite parts and receivers all on craigslist. He has taken out ads all over the place on craigslist. Does anyone have any ideas and how to deal with this person? I would just like to get my money back. Thanks

About three weeks ago I purchased a birdog from a person on craigslist, who said he was once a member of satellite guys. This person also sells satellite parts and receivers all on craigslist. He has taken out ads all over the place on craigslist. Does anyone have any ideas and how to deal with this person? I would just like to get my money back. Thanks

What happened when you tried to recontact him like you first did, and you told him you wanted to return the Birddog, and get your money back? Did you try to recontact him yet? That about is your only options, unless he outright defrauded you. If that's so, then you file a police report for starters. If it was done through the mails, you then also file mail fraud charges (after the police report). Nobody usually wins in those cases, but you could do them if the situation warrants it.

But if I was you, I would simply contact him straight out as I said, and just ask for your money back, and tell him why. Be very nice, and see what happens.

birdog

I never received the birdog. I have called him at least 6 times and he has never returned any of my calls and one of the phone numbers is now out of service . I have sent a number of emails and only got one response, that it some how got returned to him. He has not given me the carrier that he used or any kind of tracking number.So far I am out 230 dollars and have nothing to show for it. I have tried being nice.

Last edited:
I never received the birdog. I have called him at least 6 times and he has never returned any of my calls and one of the phone numbers is now out of service . I have sent a number of emails and only got one response, that it some how got returned to him. He has not given me the carrier that he used or any kind of tracking number.So far I am out 230 dollars and have nothing to show for it. I have trying being nice.

That sounds like you have been beyond nice. You need to contact your local police, and file a report. They'll go to the cops where he lives, and knock on his door. I would also attempt to file a mail fraud charge at the post office. Try Googling his phone number, or otherwise do Google searches on the info you do know about him, and try to gather info you can show to the cops. You might find a lot either good or bad about him. That'll give you a better picture. Perhaps you'll find a pattern of fraud, or maybe something else is going on. Maybe he's having family issues, and just isn't responding as he should. Either way, he has your money, and you don't have the product he promised for that money.

It's over $100, that makes it Grand Theft. Did you pay via PayPal, or how? Perhaps you can get your money back that way? Credit card chargeback, PayPal chargeback, etc. If you just sent him a check, even if he cashed it already, maybe you can get your bank to try a chargeback to his account he cashed it in. Don't wait any longer, go after him!

It's over $100, that makes it Grand Theft.
Where ?? In Ohio I believe it's over $1000, not $100. I hate to say this, but depending on where the guy lives, a $230 "claim" may get nothing more than "we'll make a report" but NOTHING more. If they catch the guy for something else, maybe you can get this charged against him then but they likely will not investigate nor prosecute him for this.

craigslist birdog

I ran the telephone number thru google and 4 pages of ads came up. Most of them were on craigslist.I sure would like to know who this guy is

I thought most craigslist transactions were done in person? At least that's the way I've always done it.

craigslist-birdog

After this it will have to be in person. I did buy a old luxman stereo about a year ago on craigslist from another state and had no problems

After this it will have to be in person. I did buy a old luxman stereo about a year ago on craigslist from another state and had no problems
Good luck. Hopefully you'll somehow get your money back. I use Craigslist to buy and sell stuff locally. Cash only and always in person.

I thought most craigslist transactions were done in person? At least that's the way I've always done it.
That's the main appeal, hence why it's "dayton.craiglist.org" or "houston.craigslist.org". Most people are only going to check their local listing. Sounds like this guy had a scam setup and was posting in multiple cities.

You can do craigslist anyway you want just at your own risk, a lady posted a warning in the Atlanta listings about two seperate incidents where the buyers were adament about coming to her house and wanting her address right away but flaked out as soon as she said that she would meet them somewhere public and she surmised that the two were pulling the case the home and learn the routine deal wich is rampant around this time of year down here.

Just saw a clip on FNS this AM about on-line dog seller scams. Similar MO, advertises a "pure bred" dog on line somewhere, takes the order, then ships nothing, or a crate with one end broken out or similar ("not my fault"). No suggestions for recourse offered...

Only deal with reputable breeders, most post adds in paper publications such as dog fancy for the majority of non protective breeds. Legitimate breeders have to register with the state and in some instances with the city they live in, purebred breeders have to register with the American Kennel Club. Any legitimate breeder wont have any problem at all what so ever with a prospective customer coming to his / her home or kennel to view the offspring and the breeding pair(s), if they wont then its not a legit breeder and a good idea to notify the authorities in their location such as the police and animal control.

Craigslist's has become the whore of the internet. Unless you can meet the seller in person and inspect the merchandise first, I highly reccomend staying away from people selling things there. There is no protection from things happening like what happened to you. Good luck getting the product or your money back, but stay away from Craig'slist.

ya'll are funny... a birdog is a satellite meter. Not a bird dog. LOL!
HAHA! It didn't hit me why they were discussing buying animals in this thread. I thought it was just someone trying to put their 2 cents in on something without really having any direct experience with the issue at hand... however, the thought that this person may have actually thought they were giving pertinent input on a Bird Dog... that's good stuff!!! (no offense to the poster of the dog info.. it's just darn funny now that this was pointed out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)