Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I've been shopping the electronic stores for a new HDTV. I really like the Sony brand. I like how reliable they are.

Does $1599 sound okay for a 51" Sony HDTV Widescreen? Best Buy has it for $1599 (The model ending in 510). Circuit City has the newer 520 51" Sony for $1699. BB's PSP is cheaper than Circuit City, $250 vs $360. Does anyone know how I can get a great deal on this? I really don't want to pay the full retail price unless I have to. I'm definately buying a PSP for 4 years.

I know a lot of people like sony, but I am not one of them. In my opinion, they are overpriced on a lot of their stuff. I will be in the market for a new hdtv sometime early to mid next year. I am hoping all the inputs/plugs become finalized before I drop a few grand on the new tv. I am thinking of a 65 inch rear projection or 50 - 55 dlp. However, I am sure my mind will change by then.

I really like the DLP tvs. I would rather have that over the CRT RPTV. What I don't like is the price. The cheapest DLP TV that anyone has is a 42" for $2300.

I was comparing the 52" RCA (which we had recently leased but had them take it back) to the 51" and even 46" Sony and the Sony blew away the RCA in PQ.

I have noticed that the newer model (the 520) has an HDMI port where the DVI port used to be. I really don't want to have to get an adapter cable for my HTL-HD so that's another reason I'm leaning towards the 510 model.

Has anyone had any luck with getting Best Buy or even Circuit City for that matter to knock off the price of a TV, especially if getting their warranty?

Instead of an RPTV, have you considered a Front Projector? You can get a quality PJ such as a Sanyo Z2 for $1500, have a bigger, better picture and not have to lug a monster box around.

I have the Sony 60'' XBR RPTV and can definitely tell you that its the best RP TV out there right now, in my opinion. Did a lot of research and am glad I bought this one.

mallu2u said:
I have the Sony 60'' XBR RPTV and can definitely tell you that its the best RP TV out there right now, in my opinion. Did a lot of research and am glad I bought this one.

Mallu is almost right. His is the second best RPTV out there. Mine is the best :p

I tend to concure, I finally got to see one of those 60" Sony LCD RPTV's in action. First LCD to truly impress me, and I was way impressed for sure. Big bucko's though.

I would not infer a general picture qulaity of CRT RPTV from the RCA though, I have never favored those in the CRT RPTV picture quality area myself. Also, if you did not have it professionally calibrated, this would also put it at a massive disadvantage. But that is also a drawback of CRT RPTV, they really need professional calibration to look anywhere near their best.

I have the Sony KF-50XBR-800 lcd and love it, I did quite a bit of research before I bought it and it seemed like the best at the time not to mention I liked the fact that it had the memory stick slot for my camera. Yes it was pricey but I don't buy new stuff every other year so I figured it was worth it. :yes

Sony is a great brand when it comes to TV's. I have one of their 34" XBR's HDTV's. I did a ton of research for this TV, and let me tell you- it is worth the extra money sony charges for the higher quality build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)