Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Just saw a 15" LCD HDTV on Amazon today for $110. I've seen other units for similar prices- and rarely, actually below $100.

Remember when we were discussing that CRTs would stick around, they had the best PQ (only if you ignore geometry), they'd always be cheapest, best color, best blacks, and win the war for the allies? It wasn't that long ago. Now you have to look to find any, and I defy you to find a 27" or larger in any brick and mortar. And rear projection tube TVs......

I have two large (& I mean large) CRT PC displays no longer in use, and a 36" TV rarely used. Oh yeah, a 27" TV in the exercise room (OK- rarely used :p) and a 13" in storage. Time to flush.

Any ideas on what point in time it should have been marked as time of death?

Did they stop all CRT manufacturing, world-wide, even for reference monitors? Or just for PC use?

My 2003 Mitsubishi Diamond CRT RPTV (which I gave away in 2008 when we moved) was still the best HD PQ I have ever seen. I wish that I could have kept it. Anyway, I know Mitsubishi still makes 65 and 73 inch DLP RPTVs, but I don't recall seeing any new CRTs since 2008.

I miss the CRT for Monitors on pro cams. It seems that the LCD monitors for cameras had a "jitter" that I am particularly tuned to when it comes to fast-moving objects like soccer balls, lacrosse balls and other fast motion. After a while I get a headache with the progressive refresh on the LCD monitors vs the good ol' 60 field refresh rate on the CRTs. But I have to get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)