DECA / HR24

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olehawk

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Quick question about DECA and my HR24. I know you don't need the DECA adapter with the HR24 but I was wondering if it would work to use it anyway. What I would like to do is have coax to DECA adapter, DECA ethernet to switch and HR24 ethernet to switch. I have an XBox 360 on the same switch and think I would get better performance utilizing DECA to stream HD video from my PC upstairs.

I understand trying to stream at the same time would hurt performance but I do not plan to do that. If I understand, having an ethernet cable plugged into the HR24 would disable its built in DECA, I would still get both tuners on the HR24 (SWM) and MRV/Internet would still work using the ethernet port. I just wondered if what I am thinking is correct and if that configuration would even work with an HR24. If so, then I just have to get the installer to hook it up that way....

Thanks.

I haven't tried it, but don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. You could also use a splitter and feed the HR24 (using its built-in DECA) and another DECA connected to your Xbox or switch (a PI would be required).

I think Bob's way would work better. Let the HR24 work the way it's designed with the internal DECA. It's my understanding that the internal DECA is significantly faster than 100mbps. So if you have multiple 24 series receivers on your network there is better performance. Older receivers with external DECA modules routed to the ethernet port still have the 100mbps limitation.

Just thought I'd post an update if anyone is interested.

The installer didn't have time to attempt to connect the HR24 to the switch as I described but he was kind enough to leave an extra DECA adapter so I could try.

First I hooked up my HR20-700 this way (deca->switch, HR20->switch) and it worked very well. I have the two DECA ports set for higher priority/QOS.

Then I tried to hook up the DECA adapter in front of the HR24 in the living room and it did not work. As the HR24 would boot, the DECA adapter would light up, my switch would light up and I thought all was good but then the adapter would go dark before the boot sequence had completed. It seems the HR24 does not supply the needed power to the adapter (like the HR20-100).

I then followed Bob's suggested method and ordered the 2-way splitter and PS18 power supply from SolidSignal and hooked it up the same way they hooked up to my router for the Internet connection. This worked beautifully.

Everything is hooked up now and working great. XBox plays Media Center using the PC upstairs flawlessly now. MRV has been great. If problems develop I can always remove the switches like the original install, but so far it seems great!

Then I tried to hook up the DECA adapter in front of the HR24 in the living room and it did not work. As the HR24 would boot, the DECA adapter would light up, my switch would light up and I thought all was good but then the adapter would go dark before the boot sequence had completed. It seems the HR24 does not supply the needed power to the adapter (like the HR20-100).

Since the HR24 has a built in Deca adapter it makes perfect sense that it would have issues with another one attached to it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.