Decades Replaced by StartTV

Here in San Francisco, KPIX, the CBS O&O, has replaced "Decades" on 5.2 with "SmartTV".

Has this happened at all of the CBS stations?

Larry
It's happened here in the LA market too ...

Where DECADES has now moved from 2-2 on CBS O&O KCBS to Wiegel owned KAZA 54-2.

Which is a station that actually channel shares on a crappy low power Spanish station KHTV-CD 27.

So from a full power station with great coverage to a low power one with a poor one

Unbelievable, smh ... :(

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

The CBS owned and operated sub-stations will drop DECADES and begin broadcasting a new network called StartTV, September 3, 2018.

StartTV will concentrate on reruns of drama series with strong female leads: The Closer, The Good Wife, Medium, Cold Case, Profiler, and The Division. Some of these may not start until January.

Like DECADES, StartTV is a partnership with CBS and Weigel Broadcasting. DECADES will still be on Weigel owned stations that don't carry StartTV. I am not sure if CBS will still be involved with DECADES.. I hope that Weigel will market DECADES to other stations in areas where the CBS subs have StartTV.
From Wikipedia
On September 3, 2018, Decades lost the CBS Television Stations to Start TV, a new Weigel-owned diginet focusing on crime dramas with female leads.[15] Weigel states that they are still committed in Decades, and that their owned-and-operated stations will take over in Los Angeles and Chicago, but there has been no word yet on CBS markets where Weigel doesn’t own a station (like New York City).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's happened here in the LA market too ...

Where DECADES has now moved from 2-2 on CBS O&O KCBS to Wiegel owned KAZA 54-2.

Which is a station that actually channel shares on a crappy low power Spanish station KHTV-CD 27.

So from a full power station with great coverage to a low power one with a poor one

Unbelievable, smh ... :(

I lost KAZA in my area of town when they moved frequencies...thankfully, MeTV still kept the secondary affiliation with KDOC.

They could have moved Decades to KCAL's digital spectrum, and still maintain full-market coverage (and be on KAZA 54.2), regardless if Weigel owns KAZA and Decades. KCAL is only one of two major outlets in the L.A. market without its own set of subchannels (KTTV being the other, even though channels "11.2" and "11.3" actually come from KCOP's spectrum), and the only consistent live programming they have nowadays is the nightly three-hour news block they've had for nearly 30 years, so conserving bandwidth shouldn't be an issue at all. Any sports programming they get today is whatever KCBS doesn't clear from CBS, due to preseason football or other live (emergency) programming.

Decades shows on their website they will be coming back to many markets they lost. We have gained a few new OTA channels over the preceding months, now Start Tv. If Decades does return that will add to quite a lineup of channels to watch in Tampa.

I lost KAZA in my area of town when they moved frequencies...thankfully, MeTV still kept the secondary affiliation with KDOC.

They could have moved Decades to KCAL's digital spectrum, and still maintain full-market coverage (and be on KAZA 54.2), regardless if Weigel owns KAZA and Decades. KCAL is only one of two major outlets in the L.A. market without its own set of subchannels (KTTV being the other, even though channels "11.2" and "11.3" actually come from KCOP's spectrum), and the only consistent live programming they have nowadays is the nightly three-hour news block they've had for nearly 30 years, so conserving bandwidth shouldn't be an issue at all. Any sports programming they get today is whatever KCBS doesn't clear from CBS, due to preseason football or other live (emergency) programming.
Oh yeah ...

I suppose Weigel could have made deals to carry DECADES on better full power stations like CBS's KCAL or with Fox's KTTV.

But naturally wanted to place their now fully owned network on their own station outlet I suppose.

Which actually wouldn't have been a problem if Wiegel had acquired KAZA from the former owner Spanish Azteca and kept it as a full power station (on RF ch. 47). Before Azteca sold the license in the incentive auction and entered into a CSA with low power KHTV-CD.

Yuck ... :(

Chattanooga CBS station recently added GRIT on 12.4...not a CBS O&O station, neither is MeTv run by Weigel locally, (in regards to Weigel stations O&O.) It's run by Sinclair/New Age Media Group (WFLI CW.) I did enjoy Decades on YTTV. I have checked out Start TV and am disappointed.

Reactions: danristheman
I remember when digital TV was lauded for PQ, 1080i even 720p picture was very good.

Now as stations pack their 6MHz with subchannels, PQ has dropped off the cliff, even 720p channels are looking bad.

We gripe at Dish for packing more HD channels on a TP but clamor for more ota channels packed into one frequency.

Not a lot of sense there.

Reactions: KaptainRandom