December 18th Dish Retailer Chat Recap

If they let us HD Absolutes stay grandfathered, I will wait and see what channels they will offer...
We won't get any new channels. Apparently after Aug 1st, the HD Absolute package was supposed to have been locked down but we did get the same new HD channels that everyone else got. I guess if Dish adds any before the end of the year or even before Feb 1, we might get them, but safe to say the package will NOT change after that.

At this point, I expect no channels to be added to HD Absolute and I'll live with it... unless they add a number of really compelling HD channels that I don't get. I'm certain that (1) new channel, even one I'd really like, won't motivate me to change. A few might.

"They mention that the new receiver names will go into effect on February 1st when the price changes happen."
"They mention that they hope the new satellite is put into use in the mid February time frame."
Basically, we show them the money, then they give us a prize! Maybe... Maybe they will add the Golf/Versus channel in addition to the individual Golf and Versus channels...
We need a Satellite Guys Remedial Reading Course, instead of Satellite Guys Chats. :rolleyes:

The new satellite will be online and providing the existing channels during January (so they can move the old satellite). Then, they will add new channels during February.

There is no reason they cannot announce the new channels on February 1st.

I find this "classic" designation interesting for the TopXXX packages. "Classic" is often seen as added value. In addition, "classic" paves the way for a new package group in the near future.

I wouldn't worry too much about the funky names. These things tend to have a pretty short life, and I bet they are changed again by summer.

Dish has been using the Americas Top designation since last century - I recall clearly when I first signed up I had Americas Top 40 for 19.99 a month - those were the good ol' days:cool:

Usually Dish just changes the number after the AT branding - AT40 became AT60, which became AT100

I suspect they are doing the "classic" branding because then when they switch everything to MPEG-4 on the western arc (110,119) they can say you need to upgrade because your "classic" equipment is obsolete.

Let me delve into the minds of the DN marketing team:
1) AT package name is misleading - our HD service is more "top" than that.
2) Let's call it "classic" since it's more user-friendly than "standard definition"
3) Let's rename the receiver's to make it easy for subscribers - if you have a classic receiver, you qualify for classic programming only.
4) Let's use the bronze,silver,gold branding so we don't have to use number's - most people are scared of numbers mixed with technology. It also adds consistency and is easier to understand since most people are familiar with olympic medals - some people might not understand that 100 is less than 250.
5) Let's get rid of numbered reciever's since people who understand number's will be confused why the 211 is better than the 311, which is better than the 3700.

The price increases aren't tied to how many HD channels they are/will be adding. They are going up even on SD packages. DVR Advantage SD packages are going up $5-$8. That's a 16% rate hike for AT200, and as far as I know, they aren't adding any new channels to that package.

What moron votes to increase prices in a recession? All the calls I am getting from existing customers wanting to change programming are looking to DECREASE what they are spending on TV.

yeah there fu,,ing idots,there going to lose more customer,Im not pay any more for tv, you can bet on this, i dont care how many hd channels they add freaking crooks

If a customer has a dvr, their cost could go up 7-$10. Thats a big increase, its going to piss alot of current customers off. If a new customer knows what they are going to pay from the start, thats one thing. But to jack up a bill current customer that high is really bad in these economic time is cable tv like.

Price increases, changing box names.....

I'm glad I switched to Apple TV+OTA+DVD's...so much simpler, cheaper and friendlier.

We just enjoyed Bugs Bunny episodes this morning. Season one of Bewitched for $20 from the Apple TV is going to be fun the rest of the year.

Sat TV and Cable programming is DEAD!

We won't get any new channels. Apparently after Aug 1st, the HD Absolute package was supposed to have been locked down but we did get the same new HD channels that everyone else got. I guess if Dish adds any before the end of the year or even before Feb 1, we might get them, but safe to say the package will NOT change after that.

At this point, I expect no channels to be added to HD Absolute and I'll live with it... unless they add a number of really compelling HD channels that I don't get. I'm certain that (1) new channel, even one I'd really like, won't motivate me to change. A few might.

No doubt. But to get us to spend more, we will have the chance to switch to a Turbo pack.

Thus, in Feb, he may be faced with a decision: Stay with Absolute, or pay more for new channels. That decision will vary depending on what is new.

For me, if Comedy Central, Spike and E! are available, that could motivate me. If that plus IFC come, I'm definitely jumping.

When companies aren't doing too well, don't they usually DECREASE prices? Dish isn't exactly doing well in the subscriber department -- losing subs left and right, not adding new ones, first quarterly loss in subs a little while back. So, gee, let's increase prices and drive more people away.

Who's really running this company -- DirectTV? Seems to me like Dish is trying to drive themselves out of business.

Seems like the only thing keeping subs at Dish right now is superior equipment. But, you know, eventually the competition is going to have equipment that's just as good. Then what's to stop Dish subs from leaving?

Price increases, changing box names.....

I'm glad I switched to Apple TV+OTA+DVD's...so much simpler, cheaper and friendlier.

We just enjoyed Bugs Bunny episodes this morning. Season one of Bewitched for $20 from the Apple TV is going to be fun the rest of the year.

Sat TV and Cable programming is DEAD!

Don't know if this would interest you but check out this link from Hulu (when you finish Season #1 :) )

Amazing what they have available out there. I plan to hook up a laptop soon to our main tv to see how it looks.

Well lets see... they are quite happy to announce the price increase early but not even mention one new channel. Yes its SOP but it still sucks. I Also agree that for many this is a time to downgrade packages to save money. My plan was to do that anyways once the contract was up but only because of my viewing habits, but now its also because of the cost.

Oh and by the way, considering how much some of the prices are going up I am sorta sympathetic to the locals in their recent problems with Dish.

Any of you guys figure that the program providers might also be increasing their fees to Dish? For both SD & HD?

Same whining every year. Yes, I don't like it either. And yes, after I learn what my new cost will actually be, I'll review and maybe downgrade. But calling Dish names over inflation - get real. Cable & DirecTV will be increasing prices, too.

Any of you guys figure that the program providers might also be increasing their fees to Dish? For both SD & HD?

Same whining every year. Yes, I don't like it either. And yes, after I learn what my new cost will actually be, I'll review and maybe downgrade. But calling Dish names over inflation - get real. Cable & DirecTV will be increasing prices, too.

fuc; them too!

That's laughable. $8 increase on a $50 package is not on par with inflation. Even if their costs have gone up, it's the wrong move in a weak economy. As for that last statement, I wouldn't be so sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)