December PPV Shows Up On July Bill

slocoma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
Looks legit as I went back through all my bills and asked my wife to confirm the purchase, but wtf? Now I have another PPV order from July that is not on my July bill.

Is your receiver hooked up to phone or internet? If it isn't all the time and it was just connected maybe your receiver just phoned home.

That's what happened then. Hooked it up via phone to order another PPV. So now I'm not going to get charged until I hook it up again? Seems like a weird way for the system to work. I thought it would authorize and charge me when I ordered. So hook up, order a bunch, disconnect, and never hook it up again? :)

The receiver knows that you have ordered PPVs. After a while, if you don't have it hooked up to a phone line or ethernet, it will start to give you a message to do just that. If you don't, after a short time, the receiver will become inoperable until you do. Why not just leave the phone line hooked up all the time?

That's what happened then. Hooked it up via phone to order another PPV. So now I'm not going to get charged until I hook it up again? Seems like a weird way for the system to work. I thought it would authorize and charge me when I ordered. So hook up, order a bunch, disconnect, and never hook it up again? :)

Yea you could do that...but there is a limit and if you ever connect to web or phone then boom all those charges at one time.Order online its quick and the charges are immediate.

The receiver knows that you have ordered PPVs. After a while, if you don't have it hooked up to a phone line or ethernet, it will start to give you a message to do just that. If you don't, after a short time, the receiver will become inoperable until you do. Why not just leave the phone line hooked up all the time?

It used to be hooked in to a phone line, but something happened to the jack where it was plugged in and I never got around to troubleshooting the problem.

We'll get them from you ;)

Yea you could do that...but there is a limit and if you ever connect to web or phone then boom all those charges at one time.Order online its quick and the charges are immediate.

I always order mine online as well (mainly because of PPV coupons). You are correct though that the receiver won't let you order any more after a certain point until a phone line is connected again to send us the PPV's in the receiver. Also, when the receiver is returned, we make sure to get all of the PPV charges off the receiver.

We'll get them from you ;)

I always order mine online as well (mainly because of PPV coupons). You are correct though that the receiver won't let you order any more after a certain point until a phone line is connected again to send us the PPV's in the receiver. Also, when the receiver is returned, we make sure to get all of the PPV charges off the receiver.

Found out the hard way years ago lol. Actually it was my step-dad,we used to split on wrestling boxing ppvs etc.I always paid him my half in cash,he had dtv at the time.Little did I know he had only connected the phone line in one time to get the receiver to pass the test and allow him to order ppv.Funny thing is he never mentioned to me that his bill didn't show the charges for ppvs,suppose he thought he had pulled a fast one.Well a big ppv royal rumble came up and he tried to order...no go the receiver refused to let him.He finally figured he should plug in the phone line.We did get to watch the royal rumble:D:D Come Feb he got a bill for over $300!!:D

I ordered two PPV movies in my life, one on purpose, one accidently and never paid for either. I ordered Stephen Kings Apt Pupil on Dish On Demand PPV when It come out back in 1999 for $2.99. I hooked the phone line up to the receiver to authorize the purchasing, but disconnected the phone line as soon as the order was confirmed since the phone jack is on the opposite of the room as the TV and didn’t want to trip over the cord. I wondered why I was never billed for it until I discovered how PPV works on satellite. That was on the old 2700. A few years later (2003 maybe) when I had the 501 I accidently ordered Signs on PPV. There was no phone line connected but it authorized, never did watch that movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts