Deciding what plasma to get.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I've always been under the impression that the two p's (panasonic and Pioneer) made the best plasmas.... although I know Pioneer was talking about getting out of the tv business, they may have already.

In turn.... I've always been under the impression that the three s's made the best lcd's (Samsung, Sony and Sharp)

I've got a Samsung LCD and love it, but if going the plasma route would have likely gotten a Panasonic.

This is the last year for Pioneer plasma's.
They have quit making them now.
They had a 42" a 50" and a 60 " at one time.

I had a Pioneer Elite Pro150FD for two years, then started having trouble with it, it quit twice in 3 months.

I am awaiting a New Pioneer Elite Pro 151FD from Pioneer as a replacement (the 151 was this current years model, so the black levels are even better than the model I had that had incredible Black levels on it.
Should be here next week.

They tried to find parts to fix the original one and called to tell me that it would be an unreasonable amount of time for them to get the parts to repair it so they located a 151 for me instead.

To make a suggestion to the OP.

Had I not been able to get the Pioneer Elite set back and working, I was getting money back and I would have bought a Panny V10 series.

From what I've seen, thats the next best plasma out there from what I have.

This week I think I'm going to go for it. The V10 is looking and sounding pretty nice.

The only other question I have is; Should I get an extended warranty? And if so, for how long?

Extended warranties have come in handy for me. I had to replace the light engin on my Mits last year. 3 years minimum.

S~

I picked up the Panny G10 in September and love it. Not sure how much difference there is in he G10 and V10 but if you are only looking at a 50" there is quite a bit of a price difference ($700 difference at Best Buy right now)

This week I think I'm going to go for it. The V10 is looking and sounding pretty nice.

The only other question I have is; Should I get an extended warranty? And if so, for how long?

An alternative is, if you were going to put it on a credit card, is to see if the card you're using has a feature that doubles the manufactures warranty as a benefit.

As someone who had an A board replaced at 14 months on my 2008 Panny Plasma, I'd say YES.

I bought an expensive Panny in home 3yr, but the Square Trades are rpetty nice.

Extended warranties have come in handy for me. I had to replace the light engin on my Mits last year. 3 years minimum.

S~

I agree, but the ones the big box dealers like to sell are awfully high priced. I've used Warrantech/Repairmaster in the past, but am looking at Mack Camera and CPS. Much cheaper, with good reputations.

I agree, but the ones the big box dealers like to sell are awfully high priced. I've used Warrantech/Repairmaster in the past, but am looking at Mack Camera and CPS. Much cheaper, with good reputations.

How does the process work to get a warrenty through someone else? And you don't have to buy any warrenty at all from the big box guys?

How does the process work to get a warrenty through someone else? And you don't have to buy any warrenty at all from the big box guys?

You do a google search on the company you're looking for, here's a couple of examples for search strings :

cps warranty
Mackcamera warranty

That should show some places to buy them online. You buy the warranty you want based on the selling price of the item and what it is (ex; Plasma TV, 1199). When you register you give them the date of purchase, s/n, model etc. If/when you need service, you either go online or to their website to start the process.

For instance, I just got a quote for $150 for a 3 year warranty on my new plasma that I paid $1199 for. That warranty starts AFTER the end of the mfg warranty, effectively giving me 4 years of warranty. Note that most don't do it that way, and none do it for their 5-year ext. warranties.

And no, you don't need to do a thing about it at the big box store.

Panasonic all the way! TC-P54V10

Thanks for all the help. All I seem to have is questions, not answers, but that's why I signed up for these forums.

Just my two cents:

I baught from Vanns.com a Panasonic TC-P54V10 4 months ago.

Picture is spectacular. Its seems to have immproved since day one.

Vanns also threw in a Panasonic Blu ray machine for free. Nice promotion.

I had looked at several sets. Being an LCD guy for so long Plasma was foreign

to me...

No regrets....

Hope this helps..

I just bought a Samsung 550 - 50'' Plasma. Amazing picture. Fanastic colors.

Paid only $959. I dont see the point on spending extra money for a name like Panasonic.

Good buy, but just so you know, the Pannys are nice too and have better blacks. Plus the cust serv is a tad better.

Nothing dumping on your tv, because it is great, just letting you in on why Panny is not "overpriced".

But just so you know the supposed "better blacks" on the panny probably aren't even noticeable to anyone.

It's not as if a panny guy goes to a friend's house that has a samsung and right away says - Holy crap ! The blacks on your TV really suck !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts