Definitve Low down on Single vs Dual Mode

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
Can someone please outline the benefits / disadvatages for both?

I was under the impression the dual model would severely limit recording on multiple timers. A few times i've enabled it and had two shows records while watching two on the DVR.

What can / can I not do in Dual, that I can do in single?

Thanks!

You cannot PIP in dual. You still can record two satellites and one OTA and still watch a third program from DVR, but TV2 will busy recording.

You cannot PIP in dual. You still can record two satellites and one OTA and still watch a third program from DVR, but TV2 will busy recording.

Ok... so I CAN do the following?

Record 1 Sat, 1 OTA, while watching 1 live
Record 2 Sat, and watch OTA live
Record all 3 and watch DVR.

What happens to TV2 at this time? Is it just locked out? if this is all true, what is the benefit of SIngle Mode? Just PIP?

Oone other thing. Can all 3 tuners be in use and both TV1 and TV2 watch something from the DVR?

What happens to TV2 at this time? Is it just locked out? if this is all true, what is the benefit of SIngle Mode? Just PIP?
Not just PIP, but in single mode you can watch one SAT program on TV1 while another SAT is recording. In dual mode, it depends on what tuner you are recording. If you are recording on TV1, you can only watch live SAT on TV2, if you are recording on TV2, you can only watch live SAT on TV1.

Record 1 Sat, 1 OTA, while watching 1 live YES, as long as you set the "Record option" to Sat 2 and you can watch Sat 1. But anyone on TV2 will be restricted to just watch what's recording on SAT 2.

Record 2 Sat, and watch OTA live YES
Record all 3 and watch DVR. YES

What happens to TV2 at this time? TV2 will be restricted to whatever you are recording on SAT 2.

Is it just locked out? if this is all true, what is the benefit of SIngle Mode? Just PIP?

Oone other thing. Can all 3 tuners be in use and both TV1 and TV2 watch something from the DVR You can only watch one tuner from TV2. No OTA tuner from TV2. You can watch any recording on DVR from TV2.

Here's how I use Dual Mode. My TV2 is in my daughters room. So I do not record anything to TV2 while she watches TV. When she is not watching TV, I use the second Tuner as well.

Ok this is the huge drawback I was looking for. So in my case, if TV1 (My 50" DLP) is recording, I could NOT watch TV on it. I would have to go upstairs to TV2? There's no swapping of the spare tuner and where you can watch?

Ok this is the huge drawback I was looking for. So in my case, if TV1 (My 50" DLP) is recording, I could NOT watch TV on it. I would have to go upstairs to TV2? There's no swapping of the spare tuner and where you can watch?
You could only watch live SAT on TV1 if you are in single mode (if you are already recording something on TV1). If no one is watching TV2 at the time, this wouldn't be a big deal. You can just switch from dual to single mode to free up the TV2 tuner to watch on TV1.

You could only watch live SAT on TV1 if you are in single mode (if you are already recording something on TV1). If no one is watching TV2 at the time, this wouldn't be a big deal. You can just switch from dual to single mode to free up the TV2 tuner to watch on TV1.

Got it.. Thanks... wow this would be more appealing if there was a button on the remote to easily switch back and forth. I want to be a lazy ass.

I believe you can send the recording to TV2 (through setting the options) and watch LIVE SAT 1. Someone correct if I am wrong?;)

Got it.. Thanks... wow this would be more appealing if there was a button on the remote to easily switch back and forth. I want to be a lazy ass.
Haha, preaching to the choir. I stared at the remote for a good two minutes before I finally relegated myself to getting up and pushing a button on the receiver.

yup, if TV1 is busy and you're in dual mode, just put it in single mode, hit swap, put it back in dual mode. Now TV2 is busy. :D

Since you can record two satellite shows at once, when tv1 is recording and I want to watch something else (and am too lazy to get up and switch modes) I just record the show I want to watch to tv2 and hit the DVR button twice a start watching it that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)