Delayed 811 Install

Roll Tide, or anyone else in Alabama... I ordered my 811 last Tuesday, they scheduled my install of the 811 for this past Saturday. I accidently forgot to tell the guys that I was keeping my old receiver, so they were gonna have to pull a wire, so I called back Wednesday & told them the info. They rescheduled for Monday (tomorrow), & I took off work to make sure things would be OK, and to view the 811. I just got a call (7:00 p.m.) saying that they were not able to get any 811s in and that it would be next Monday. I gave them a piece of my mind & told them this was unacceptable (the short notice). Didn't help at all, but made me feel better.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with back-orders in the North Alabama area.

StevenD said:
So thats the reason all of our Dallas are installs are being re-scheduled. All of our 811s are being shipped up to Oklahoma!

Now Im really pissed! Oh well, at least Stoops finally tasted defeat yesterday! :)

That's a good one. :D Saturday was a good day for HD in Oklahoma (at least at my house) but a dark day for Sooner football. Funny thing was it knocked UT out of the Fiesta Bowl, but we still get to play for the national championship. Not sure if we deserve to be there, but if we win, I sure hope USC loses to lend the championship some legitimacy.

Oops, almost forgot this is a satellite forum . . . Anyway, it sounds like I was lucky. Mine was the first 811 install by this retailer, but they didn't seem to have any problems ordering it. They said they had a few customers waiting on the 921. Stupid thing is, I want another dish for the 148 sat and qualify for a free one since two of our locals are located there, but E* won't let the local retailer install it. They're sending someone from Tulsa (aprox 1 1/2 hours away) to install the second dish this coming Friday.

I really like the 811 but, as a new subcriber, I don't have much to compare it to other than the 301 which is hooked up to my other TV. It would be nice if you could set the 811 to output 480p for the SD channels. That way I could use my Sony's widezoom to get rid of the black bars.

One other thing, on the guide is it possible to change the channel in the preview window without exiting the guide? Seems like it must be possible, but I can't figure out how.

The 811 (and the 6000 for that matter) overrides my TV's aspect options.

I wish there as a way around it.

Neutron said:

So you mean regardless of what i select for my screen options for my HDTV (normal, TheaterWide 1, 2 & Full), i will still have to look at black bars?? Not good...

Ransack said:
Neutron said:

So you mean regardless of what i select for my screen options for my HDTV (normal, TheaterWide 1, 2 & Full), i will still have to look at black bars?? Not good...

The problem with black bars is when viewing SD channels. With my Sony, and I believe with most if not all HDTV's, it locks into Full mode when fed a 1080i or 720p signal. If I go into the menu and set the 811 to ouput 480p instead of 1080i or 720p, I can use my TV's zoom modes to fill my screen. It would be nice if you could set the 811 to automatically detect whether it was receiving a SD or HD channel and output 480p on the SD channels and 1080i/720p on the HD's. (Note - I understand that some other brands of HDTV's lock into Full mode when fed a 480p signal as well so this wouldn't fix much for them. They would need the option of outputing 480i. I believe this feature is called "native resolution output" on some HD-STB's.)

Harmon said:
Funny thing was it knocked UT out of the Fiesta Bowl, but we still get to play for the national championship

On The Ticket (a sports radio station here in DFW) last week, one of the commentators asked whether OU should lose the game on purpose just to kick Texas out of the Fiesta Bowl. That set off a 30 minute discussion...it was pretty funny.

Harmon said:
Ransack said:
Neutron said:

The problem with black bars is when viewing SD channels. With my Sony, and I believe with most if not all HDTV's, it locks into Full mode when fed a 1080i or 720p signal. If I go into the menu and set the 811 to ouput 480p instead of 1080i or 720p, I can use my TV's zoom modes to fill my screen. It would be nice if you could set the 811 to automatically detect whether it was receiving a SD or HD channel and output 480p on the SD channels and 1080i/720p on the HD's. (Note - I understand that some other brands of HDTV's lock into Full mode when fed a 480p signal as well so this wouldn't fix much for them. They would need the option of outputing 480i. I believe this feature is called "native resolution output" on some HD-STB's.)

Had the same 'problem' with it and another reader tipped me on using the S-Video output to a 480 input on your monitor ... then just switch between the 2, works fine.

I was hoping to post that my 811 install went without a hitch. I even got a call from the local Dish Center to confirm that I have 4 existing receivers and will be adding a 5th receiver. Tuesday 8-12 window, the installer shows up at 10 with a brand new 811. I give him the tour, showed the attic, basement, and crawl space under the house. Showed him the 13" set that will be using the 811. He says no problem. He has an additional SW64 in the truck and will start by making the splitters and running the cable. I helped with the cable run and he brings in the 811. His first one. No problem. I hook it up to my fancy (cough) RF modulator and send the signal into the 13" via RG-59. He goes off to hook up the additional SW64. When he returns, I have the set on and setup screen waiting for the sat. signal. "Problem" he says. No SW64 on the trunk. He calls to other installers and back to Dish Central. No SW64. Checks the work order and finds that the SW64 was not mentioned on the work order. (He knew one was needed, but now the issue is that one is not mentioned on the work order.) A call to 800-dish ends with me being rescheduled for Sunday Afternoon. Oh, and "We need to take back the 811 until we can hook it up to the new SW64." I'm bummed. But I am willing to wait till Sunday. But I really would have preferred Morning to Afternoon. Called 800-dish and Morning was just no possible. Ok fine, then afternoon. The CSR asked if there was anything else and out of nowhere I heard myself say "compensation". OK, 21 bucks off your next bill. 149-21 = 128. I thanked the CSR and went back to play Battleship with my 7 year old who happen to be home with the flu.

I got the dreaded call last night. Digital Reception Services called and said Dish has not sent them the 811's they've been selling to everyone. They were supposed to be here for the 8-12 appointment today, but they didn't bother to call until 5pm yesterday. How can Dish Network and all these contract companies they work with run a business like this?

So, I'm rescheduled for the 12/22 - ok I can wait...but I paid that $149 on my debit card - that money could be working for ME the next 12 days instead of the Dish Network - heaven knows I need it worse!!!

Thanks Charlie - have a great holiday!!

TimR21><>

Wow

Well, my 3rd appt came and went. First appt was postponed due to lack of 811. 2nd was a date screwup at E*. Installer finally came today - with no equipment. Work order was for additional dish, no STB's, no installation, nada. So, now I'm on for the 16th, with probably little hope the 811 will be in stock anywhere, from the sound of this thread.

All this after calling early AM Dec 2 to get a good slot.

email/call to ceo's office on its way... :aargh:

Delayed for third time in Georgia

They called to reschedule my 811 for the third time here in Georgia.

Now its Christmas eve...

How can you be a MONTH off on your original schedule date? You have to TRY to be that far off.

Bah.

Well, I got my new install today by Intertech of Western NY. Well, wouldn't you know, no 811. The tech didn't look at the install order very closely and thought it was for 2 301's. I had him go ahead and install the primary dish and the "must carry" dish, as he called it, and connected the single 301 in the bedroom. They are expecting some 811's by next week and assure me that somoene will be out with my reciever as soon as they arrive. Here's hoping...

Chris

I hope that we learned a lesson here boys and girls ............................

Never take off from work when dish is going to do an install.

DNSC was scheduled to install my 811 tomorrow (the 3rd time it was rescheduled). Well, guess what?!?! They dont have any in stock and dont see any coming before the end of next week.

I call the Executive CSR office and they told me that "demand was higher than expected, but we are trying to get product out for the Christmas rush." What a crock!

I told him I wanted him to ship me one. He said, "Its too expensive to ship." I told him UPS and FedEx offer insurance on items they ship and he said they couldnt take that risk on such an expensive piece of equipment! He also said "We are too big of a company to risk shipping expensive product, we cant have damaged receivers showing up and people being upset with us."

ComCast or Voom is looking better every day!

StevenD said:
I told him I wanted him to ship me one. He said, "Its too expensive to ship." I told him UPS and FedEx offer insurance on items they ship and he said they couldnt take that risk on such an expensive piece of equipment! He also said "We are too big of a company to risk shipping expensive product, we cant have damaged receivers showing up and people being upset with us."

ComCast or Voom is looking better every day!

Strange, The tech I talked to yesterday is sending me a replacement 811 via UPS Blue..

Dave

How do they get from their warehouse? Do they just wish them there and there is no shipping involved? I'm sure they are a little more careful but they do ship via plane, van, or truck.

The horror continues for me....
E* has terrible customer service. When I ordered Dish, I got Prime Home as my installer from Sacramento CA. Everything went so smoothly!!! I was very happy. But ever since that day it has been a nightmare. First, I ordered a "must carry" dish to receive JapanTV for my wife, and my missing locals. The way my house's roof and gutter is configured, I needed an extender pole to have the dish extend up past my gutter. Prime Home had this with no problem and my primary dish was a successful install. But the second dish?.... well I had to reschedule FOUR times because each time the tech came out, he didn't have the extender pole. And twice I called E* to make sure that it was included in the order before the tech came out. Still, all 4 times they came without the pole. On the 4th attempt, the tech installed the dish in an odd fashion to get it on the house. My wife was home then so I couldn't stop them. It doesn't look too bad, but I don't like it. I almost afraid to have them come out with the pole to "do the right thing". But I will.

Now... my 811 was scheduled for today. Guess what? NO 811 on the truck!! I am now rescheduled for the 17th. Something tells me I won't get then either. If it weren't for JapanTV I would never have considered E*. D* and VOOM can't be this terrible... can they?
Bubba04

Great, they called today to reschedule my 811 upgrade for a second time. Judging from this thread, I may have to wait for two more reschedules before actually getting the thing :evil:

I am trying to keep an open mind b/c it is a really good price for an HD STB, but c'mon, at least give me a reasonable projection when scheduling and don't bill our cards before doing the work.

*grumble*

cyph

Delays...

Well, I also got the reschedule call today... I was set up for install tomorrow (I ordered the day the $149 deal started about 1 1/2 weeks ago) ... The installer said that DISH is setting up more installs for the 811 than they are shipping them.

We will see ... :-(

Re: Delays...

Broadband Lab Rat said:
Well, I also got the reschedule call today... I was set up for install tomorrow (I ordered the day the $149 deal started about 1 1/2 weeks ago) ... The installer said that DISH is setting up more installs for the 811 than they are shipping them.

We will see ... :-(
Deja Vu
EXACT same thing for me today. rescheduled for wednesday...Wife said switch to Direct. Hard to explain that to out fit 3 rooms and have HD and a PVR is a lot more than just a phonecall..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)