Delayed Sound

Green_Flea

Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Anyone notice that the sound on most of the channels is just a split second delayed? Sometimes it's not that bad and other times it seems like im watching an old kung fu movie. Am I the only one that is experiencing this? Is there a way I can adjust it?

Hmmm ...

I'm a DTV subscriber and notice the same thing on HDNET and Discovery HD. HBO and showtime HD seem OK. :confused:

That's not the standard...

If it were, there would be 20 threads about it here. My audio is fine, on all channels I view (excluding the occasional hiccup).

Maybe you have a receiver problem. :confused:

Yes, my audio gets out of sync once in a while...

Just did a search, there aren't 20 threads on it, but there are at least half-a-dozen... OTA audio sync issues, HDN sync issues, etc.

There are a few mentions of it here and there

but most seem to be channel specific, not a VOOM problem per se.

This thread has been out for 48 hours with just 4 replies (only 2 VOOM based that concur), doesn't sound like a broad-based problem to me. If there were major issues, you'd be hearing about them.

You might read thru the VOOM FAQ for a start:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Or email one of the moderators. They are pretty helpful.

Green Flea, are you still having problems? What software version are you running?

It happens to my locals a lot, but I don't think it's Voom's fault, I recently was watching something on WB I believe and the audio was off, it was incredibly annoying. The sound then went out for about a minute, and when it came back it was perfectly in synch. Makes me think WB (maybe my local one, not sure how all that works) was screwing up...

Its Not A VOOM Problem. It Happens On My Digital Locals (D* stb), Digital Channels On VOOM & D*. Anytime They Use Digital Sound(5.1 or 2.0 Digital Stereo) It Can Happen. You Just Have To Hang In There Until The Sound Video Interface Gets Better.

Green_Flea said:
Anyone notice that the sound on most of the channels is just a split second delayed? Sometimes it's not that bad and other times it seems like im watching an old kung fu movie. Am I the only one that is experiencing this? Is there a way I can adjust it?

Are you using an optical connection for audio?

Welcome to the world of digital media. It's not as easy to synch the sound and video with digital. It's been off since digital was created. I rarely watch a digital channel that is spot-on, most of them are off by a hair, some by a mile.

I have noticed this problem from day one back last November. I have always blamed my switch box, which switched Toslink and component, but have suspected the VOOM box.

Ti-maniac said:
I have noticed this problem from day one back last November. I have always blamed my switch box, which switched Toslink and component, but have suspected the VOOM box.
When I first got into HT, I suspected processing delays with the digital audio, but it was just as bad listening to Analog audio straight to the TV. :(

Hmm... it would be cool then if they could add that in as a feature...under Audio where you can increase or decrease by .1 ms the audio stream and sync it yourself or just leave it to default 0 which is what Voom's broadcasting?

The DVDOHD scaler has this feature. You can only delay the sound though, not the image, so if the picture is ahead of the sound, too bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)