Dell island in mall still selling Voom

theph0xx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 2, 2004
I know not a huge deal, but I just wanted to pass along what I saw in a local mall. There was a Dell computer island set up in the middle of the walk way like they always do, and they had 2 LCD displays pumping Voom infomercials. I asked the sales people if they were still actively selling Voom and of course they said yes. They hadn't heard anything about a possible shut down, and were actually getting a steady sign up on Voom. I just thought it was another interesting example of another Voom partner/advertiser that is still going strong despite all the negativity and doomsday predictions.

I hope you didn't check out after posting your message...there was great news in another thread shortly after you posted, and I'm gonna carry your message to that thread, because I think Dell is a pretty big deal! :D Thanks for clueing us in!

If you did check out after that post, I'm sure the good news will be the first post you see when you check back in!! :D

Vicki

Dell Direct Store & Voom

Okay, maybe it is because I work at one, but they are called Dell Direct Stores, not Dell islands. :)

With Dell's launch of HDTV's (both plasmas and LCD TVs), Dell wanted a way to showcase HDTV with a partner that could deliver HDTV. Of course, Voom is HDTV Delivered.

Many of the customers we talk to are disappointed with the HD content available from the main players (locally and nationally). Unfortunately, most people have never heard of Voom, but the demos generate a lot of interest (as do our beautiful tv's). There really is a LOT of interest in Voom to get that HD content, in all seriousness.

From the demos we have and the videos from CES '05, I gush about Voom to every customer that asks (and some that don't). Hopefully, the Dell Direct Stores can continue to do their part to drive interest and recognition of Voom!

Thanks for update nateman99!

nateman99 said:
Okay, maybe it is because I work at one, but they are called Dell Direct Stores, not Dell islands. :)

With Dell's launch of HDTV's (both plasmas and LCD TVs), Dell wanted a way to showcase HDTV with a partner that could deliver HDTV. Of course, Voom is HDTV Delivered.

Many of the customers we talk to are disappointed with the HD content available from the main players (locally and nationally). Unfortunately, most people have never heard of Voom, but the demos generate a lot of interest (as do our beautiful tv's). There really is a LOT of interest in Voom to get that HD content, in all seriousness.

From the demos we have and the videos from CES '05, I gush about Voom to every customer that asks (and some that don't). Hopefully, the Dell Direct Stores can continue to do their part to drive interest and recognition of Voom!
I think the original post from theph0xx got buried in all the celebrating of the good news about VOOM. The posts were flying fast and furious that night! :) And thanks for helping to get the word out!!
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
Vicki

I stopped at a Dell Island (sorry, Dell Direct Store ;)) the other day, and yes, they indeed were running VOOM demos on a couple of plasma displays and had VOOM brochures. No live feed unfortunately, but still a good way to spread the word!

Dell & Voom

Being a remote employee (i.e. working outside of Austin, TX), I don't interact directly with our marketing team. Still, I can ask around and see what the intentions are and make suggestions. Who knows? We'll see what we can do. Hey, look on the bright side. It's listed pretty high on the page. :cool:

The content shown on the plasma and LCDs are HD videos driven by computers. Most of the malls (all, to my knowledge), won't allow us to put up any dishes or otherwise broadcast live television. The recorded videos are the best solution we have. Still, the video clips from Rave and Equator HD always stop people dead in their tracks with lots of "oohs" and "aahs". :shocked

We are currently in 80 very busy malls. I think seeing it right out in the middle of the foot traffic is great exposure for Voom. As we continue to expand our reach into the retail space, that exposure will surely grow. With Dell's push into Consumer Electronics, the stores are an important part of providing a "touch and feel" experience. I am pleased that we've partnered with great folks like Voom to drive interest in our products and vice versa.

Besides, I like to talk about Voom because it looks SO good on our Dell TV's. :) People get really excited about the prospects of getting some real HD content. We're doing what we can to talk-up Voom. :welcome

Actually, the "mall island" idea might be a really good move for VOOM. Cheap real estate, make friends with the Tweeter guys down the hall, sometimes a Cambridge Soundworks store in there too...lots of foot traffic...

Just a thought.

Lob :)

The catalog that I received with my new Dell PC last week had the ad for Voom it said they want to do the same for HDTV as they have done for the PC business. I'm all for that. I'm on my second Dell and have had good luck with them.

I second Lob's comments.

Also, in a lot of malls you are finding radio shack stores that carry the E* advertising. This would give people a chance to really compare both services. If the DDS' (dell direct stores) can somehow get the live feed from satellite, this would the best!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts