Dell LCD TV

To me it's not worth the risk of dealing with Dell service. We had a nightmare where. after ordering from Dell, they sent a confirmation e-mail that they were shipping an incorrect item. After several calls to India and the Phillipines they promised it was straight. Then got a confirmation e-mail they were charging our card and sending a different item to someone 1,500 miles away. 5 days, about 14 hours of calls and hold times, got the credit card company involved.

Bottom line is that unless you are a large business account it is impossible to get anyone on this continent to speak to you, because there is nobody on this continent that will deal with an individual/small biz.

Not to try to contradict Digital Dude - I'm sure his debacle was real - but my experience with Dell has been quite the opposite! Even tho' the service representatives are half a world away, I had next business day service on my laptop that occassionally needed something over its 3-year included warranty period (items replaced, etc.) and the local service guy was always in contact the next BD as promised, with the correct part to fix my problem, at my site! This excellent response caused me to buy additional computers from Dell, which so-far haven't needed any service. BTW - I'm using that same laptop (hard, I might add!) another 2.5 years past that original warranty period. Fortunately it hasn't needed any real service since the warranty expired (the top case is cracked at the hinges again, a design flaw that caused the cover to be replaced twice while under warranty, but that will now just get some superglue) 'cause I'd now have to pay for any parts and/or service. But I'm confident that they'd be readily available, with a technician to install them if I needed the service, as long as I am willing to pay.

Check into their TV warranty, ask how much the extended plan will add (might be worth it) and confirm who will do the service work if it's needed. It surely won't be across the pond, but probably some local independent contractor. The quality of service you experience will probably be more the result of what that local guy can/will do for you vs. Dell themselves...

Last edited:
While my company has had very positive dealings with Dell, there have been a lot of complaints about them from on-line buyers. If you go to the various pages where on-line dealers are rated, Dell almost always gets one of the lowest scores around.

Their HDTVs tend to get average reviews. Here's a recent one from CNET on their 37" LCD:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_W3706MC/4505-6482_7-31562822.html?tag=pdtl-list

I've had 4 desktop systems from Dell, never a problem with them so I don't know how their service is, never had to call. As for their LCD TV's, I'm planning on buying one from Costco, comes with 2 yr warrenty and Costco's great return policy.

Tom hit the nail on the head, Big Company = Dell Good Service from Dell. End user/Small Biz= crap shoot. If every transaction was like mine they'd be done, but there are thousands of experiences like mine. Visit the Dish forums about their customer service since outsourcing.

rad has the right idea.