Denon AVR-3311CI

zbroke

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
Looking to buy this receiver. Something about being 3D ready is appealing and the 6 HDMI inputs. It would be my first receiver ever and I have a silly question:

Can all the input sources, HDMI, component or what have you, be outputed via the receiver's HDMI output? I couldn't help to notice that the receiver has component outpout and I was wondering why it would have such an output if the HDMI could do it? (Maybe for tv's with no HDMI?)

Thanks

On the 3808 any input can be output over HDMI, I assume this would be the same.

I have a 3808 CI for 2 years now, I am very pleased with it, I am sure you will very satisfied with the unit. You will likely find the learning curve a bit steep, Denon's manuals leave a lot to the imagination. :rant:

From the specs:

Featuring 6 HDMI inputs, the AVR-311CI is also equipped with Denon’s high resolution video processor, which accepts standard definition video sources and upconverts them to HDMI.

I have 3 Denon receivers and am happy with them all.

I read so much about everything AV/Home Theather in the last weeks I guess this line didn't register. I figured everything had to be outputed via one of the 2 HDMI output but kinda got surprised with the other output options. I suppose not everyone has an HDMI TV.

Thanks!

You would need a monitor with an HDMI input to get all of the perks of how the receiver switches and upconverts video. I don't think it will downres an HDMI input to any other kind of output (Component, s-vid, etc.). I love my Denon and would not get any other brand of receiver.

Yes, it will output any of the inputs via HDMI.

On a side note, you can only output non-digital inputs over the non-digital outputs (anything other than the HDMI) due to copy protection issues (HDCP). So in simple terms you can't input something via HDMI and output it via component (even audio only devices). Not a big deal as long as you understand that, but it can confuse people using multiple zones pretty quick.

I also have had the Denon 3808ci for a couple years and still love it every day. It is an amazing device. I have not used the 3311 myself yet, but have used many Denon units and have been very impressed with each of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)