Denon owners, EQ question

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
After realizing my manual setup adjustments may not be being used, I have a question.

I ran auto setup and saved, then went into manual setup and changed the speakers to small, the freq to 80hz and the sub to 120hz. Do these settings only take place if I use the Manual EQ(by using Audyssey Multi EQ i wont have proper xover settings)? Im assuming so, since the manual setup has all the other auto calibration figures copied over.

Thanks.

After realizing my manual setup adjustments may not be being used, I have a question.

I ran auto setup and saved, then went into manual setup and changed the speakers to small, the freq to 80hz and the sub to 120hz. Do these settings only take place if I use the Manual EQ(by using Audyssey Multi EQ i wont have proper xover settings)? Im assuming so, since the manual setup has all the other auto calibration figures copied over.

Thanks.

Good question. I would post this in the AVS Audyssey Thread.

It appears that settings changed in manual like the xover and speaker level adjustments carry over to the audyssey eq. this is good, because if you use the manual eq, you lose many of the paramaters audyssey used.

The audyseey setup seemed to do a good job, but it did give the center too low a level (had to crank the volume so much to hear the words that the fronts and sub were trying to blow me outta the room). I adjusted the center up 1.5db's, and it seems a-ok.

It appears that settings changed in manual like the xover and speaker level adjustments carry over to the audyssey eq. this is good, because if you use the manual eq, you lose many of the paramaters audyssey used.

The audyseey setup seemed to do a good job, but it did give the center too low a level (had to crank the volume so much to hear the words that the fronts and sub were trying to blow me outta the room). I adjusted the center up 1.5db's, and it seems a-ok.

Good to hear.

I didn't change one thing from my Audyssey results. I'm happy with everything I'm hearing.

Im gonna try rerunning this afternoon, just to be sure. One thing I realized after reading the Odyssey FAQ's on AVS, is that I put the mic in the correct 6 spots in the correct order, but I did not measure out 2 feet in between.

Then someone suggested I leave the settings alone for a couple of weeks, which I may do. Its just that once I turn the volume up enough to hear voices well on the center, the fronts and the sub are just too darn loud.

Im gonna try rerunning this afternoon, just to be sure. One thing I realized after reading the Odyssey FAQ's on AVS, is that I put the mic in the correct 6 spots in the correct order, but I did not measure out 2 feet in between.

Then someone suggested I leave the settings alone for a couple of weeks, which I may do. Its just that once I turn the volume up enough to hear voices well on the center, the fronts and the sub are just too darn loud.

I wonder if the 3.1 setup has anything to do with that? Maybe Audessey is overcompensating your lack of rears by pumping more juice to your fronts?

could be, i may end up just bumping the center up anyways. gonna see what the results are first.

The onkyo audyssey did the same thing when I set it up not knowing the exact way to do it(had the center 1db lower than the fronts). Once I read the AVS FAQ's, the Onkyo set the fronts and the center at the same level, and it sounded great. They are all the same line of Polk, but the center is 1ft closer, so even though it should not be the same level most likely, I think 2.5 db's diff is a little much.

could be, i may end up just bumping the center up anyways. gonna see what the results are first.

The onkyo audyssey did the same thing when I set it up not knowing the exact way to do it(had the center 1db lower than the fronts). Once I read the AVS FAQ's, the Onkyo set the fronts and the center at the same level, and it sounded great. They are all the same line of Polk, but the center is 1ft closer, so even though it should not be the same level most likely, I think 2.5 db's diff is a little much.

I've said it before. Don't become a slave to the tool. If the center is too soft under the Audessey setup, feel free to bump it up. You are the one listening to this, not the Audessey engineers. Again, I would write down the settings, so I could easily go back, but that doesn't seem to be an issue here as Denon has provided an easy to use go back path.

very true, and I agree. I posted in the Audyssey thread over at AVS to see if the Audyssey guy will offer input. From what I gather, they say to bump if you find the need, but then others act like its the final say and you are damned if you change it.

very true, and I agree. I posted in the Audyssey thread over at AVS to see if the Audyssey guy will offer input. From what I gather, they say to bump if you find the need, but then others act like its the final say and you are damned if you change it.

Yeah, kind of amazing that we somehow survived all those years before Audessey, when audiophiles actually had to think for themselves. :rolleyes:

I just love these sorts of folks.

Got a good reply from the audyssey guy.

Pic of setup

[ame]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/jlwhid/IMG_0028.jpg[/ame]

Originally Posted by audyssey
No need to measure exactly 2'. It is just an approximate guideline.

MultEQ is trying to set the level for each speaker so that it is at reference when you have the master volume at 0. That means that each speaker should measure 75 dB (C-weighting, slow) at the listening position.

The readings above make sense because the center speaker is closer and unobstructed. So, I would expect it to be a little louder than the L and R and therefore will not need as much boost to achieve reference level. The L and R speakers have obstructions in front of them (TV, cabinet, subwoofer). They are also not turned to point to the center listening position. That can easily explain why they are 3 dB lower and have to be turned up more.

I don't think so. The Denon performs proper downmixing and folds the surrounds into the fronts at the correct level specified by Dolby.

I would try freeing the fronts of obstructions by moving them forward and turning them inward a bit. If you have an SPL meter you should check if the levels are being set correctly using the internal test noise of the Denon. If they are all reading 75 dB, then it could simply be that you have a preference for a slightly higher center level than reference. In that case, just bump it 1-2 dB.

I see that RS has a $50 SPL meter, might be a fun toy.

Well, this has turned into an Audyssey/HT calibration thread :D

More helpful info:

Originally Posted by audyssey
If you are getting the Radio Shack meter avoid the digital one. The analog one is more accurate. Set it to C-weighting and "Slow" and measure at the location of the first MultEQ mic measurement. Hold the meter at arm's length and do not stand behind it as the reflections from your body can interfere.

You guys got me curious about my results now. I didn't really look too deep into the Audyssey results initially. Instead I just sampled a few movies/cd's to make sure everything sounded ok to my ears.

I will have to report back with my results just to make sure they look ok. Who knows, maybe with some fine tweaking it could sound even better....

You guys got me curious about my results now. I didn't really look too deep into the Audyssey results initially. Instead I just sampled a few movies/cd's to make sure everything sounded ok to my ears.

I will have to report back with my results just to make sure they look ok. Who knows, maybe with some fine tweaking it could sound even better....

Uh oh, its started :D

Im picking up the analog on the way home today, will rerun audyssey and then check spl levels. Will post results this evening.

Edit:

Looks like the analog spl meter mic is omni directional, someone just recommended to point it up though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)