Detroit Metro Locals in HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cypher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Pardon me if I haven't been paying attention lately, but the Best Buy ad here has an HD receiver for sale and the fine print says : "Requires a 5-LNB dish". Is this now available in Detroit? Should I call DirecTV and have them upgrade my HD receiver and dish (its free, right) for MPEG-4?

As someone waiting to get their locals in HD..I upgraded to the new dish, but signal stregth is too week. Dont feel you need to go out and get it, not much diffrence I think!. But hey like me, we all have to get the newest toys!!!

cypher said:
Pardon me if I haven't been paying attention lately, but the Best Buy ad here has an HD receiver for sale and the fine print says : "Requires a 5-LNB dish". Is this now available in Detroit? Should I call DirecTV and have them upgrade my HD receiver and dish (its free, right) for MPEG-4?

I did. It is free but requires a 2-year contract. I know Satjay is having some issues, but mine is fine. I originally had some issues with the H-20 receiver not finding channels, but it seems to have fixed itself after a few reboots. I love the new system. There are still a few bugs to be worked out of the system (audio had a few break-ups during the Lions game Sunday) but other than that, I have been really happy.

Much to like satjay, I have also had some problems with my h20. The locals in high-def are picilating. I can tell it's the high-def locals but no go. I've had 2 techs come come out and they said that the Detroit area is not turned on yet. Nobody there at Mircotech knows what's going on. :confused:

Rubinl said:
Nobody there at Mircotech knows what's going on. :confused:

I agree with that. My installer came out last Friday for my upgrade and informed me that I would not be getting HD locals for about a month. I told him I bet they are on as soon as we fire it up, he said no way. As soon as we got in the house, there they were in all their local HD glory. He said well I guess they gave us the wrong info.

Where are you guys located? I am in Royal Oak and My OTA is spotty. Some days one channel will be great and the rest will be unbearable to watch because of pixelation. And other days, they all seem fine. Sometimes, some of them won't come in at all. I was hoping that the new D* delivery would be more reliable. You guys are saying it really isn't? That bites (big time)

How did you get it installed? I see some posts on here that say DO NOT CALL DIRECTV and then I see others that say that they DID call. What should I do?

cypher said:
How did you get it installed? I see some posts on here that say DO NOT CALL DIRECTV and then I see others that say that they DID call. What should I do?

Give D* a call. They are setup and ready to get you upgraded. The Do not call was when the ad first came out from the local Detroit store. The CSR's had no clue how to get it done. They should now.

cypher said:
Where are you guys located? I am in Royal Oak and My OTA is spotty. Some days one channel will be great and the rest will be unbearable to watch because of pixelation. And other days, they all seem fine. Sometimes, some of them won't come in at all. I was hoping that the new D* delivery would be more reliable. You guys are saying it really isn't? That bites (big time)

I am in Livingston County, and my reception has been great with the new dish and receiver. Now, it really hasn't rained or anythign yet, so that will be the next test.

As for getting it installed, I called to change some info on my bill and asked for the upgrade. I was transferred to the equipment department and the guy had just gotten the info (this was a week ago) and had me set-up for an install later in the week. Very painless. Although be ready, Michigan Microtech is not really sure about the dish set-up. My guy said they can't go on a roof (later he changed his mind) and he said the locals wouldn't be on yet, which they are...

I am in Macoomb County, and I think (hope) that the techs will come and do a adjustment to get the locals in HD..I had rabit ears before, decided to get the upgrade. One story I have shared is the Tech bragged about how great the signal strength was. Well what I did not know was that there is two channels each of locals for example we have our regular nbc and HD NBC, when the techs were at my house they did not know this.

After they left I saw that I was getting a searching for signal. Anyways they are coming by friday morning. Hopefully things will get resolved, another thing that bugged me, they would not take the old dish down, I can do it. Just thought they would and just leave the mount up there. Keeping my fingers crossed for friday. As a football fan, lions football is brutal but when its not in HD, its just that much more worse :) Thank god for sunday ticket!

Mabye its a blessing I didn't get the upgrade. As I mentioned in another post, my dish is on the garage, which has several layers of shingles on it. Due to the weight of the dish, the installer was concerned about getting the lag bolts secure enough and I didn't want to go the pole route (which the installer really pushed) sticking out like a sore thumb in my backyard. I think I will upgrade my OTA antenna to a Channel Master and wait for D* and the installers to get the bugs worked out and once I re-roof the garage next spring maybe I'll upgrade then.

cypher said:
Where are you guys located? I am in Royal Oak and My OTA is spotty. Some days one channel will be great and the rest will be unbearable to watch because of pixelation. And other days, they all seem fine. Sometimes, some of them won't come in at all.

I'm in Dearborn. I get 2, 4, 20, 50 and 56 in great. 7 is decent, but can be spotty. 62 is usually awful. Doesn't lock in the signal very well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)