Did any of you guys ever move from one city to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Some of us probably remember moving from a city we used to live in to another.

As most of you guys know, I was originally born and raised in Buffalo, New York.

My family lived there until we moved in the summer of 1994.

Believe it or not, the day we moved from frigid Buffalo to also-frigid Kenosha, Wisconsin was on July 13, 1994- a day AFTER the MLB All-Star Game (That was the extra-inning thriller in Pittsburgh, if anyone remembers).

Fittingly, my last memories of living in Buffalo involved sports, though not football or hockey (I never truly embraced baseball in my soul- I never had a team I could truly follow like the Bills or Sabres)

That's my story.

Any of you guys ever recall doing so?

Feel free to go the whole nine yards- why, where, sob stories, final goodbyes, etc.

Let's see, 5 or 6 cities growing up, 3 different places in the last city before moving out. And then, for me & ----8ball & others- service. Yeah, I think we've moved to a few cities/countries.

Guam is a wonderful place. 60 million Japanese honeymooners can't be wrong.

Born in Pickney Michigan, moved to Ypsilanti Michigan a few years later then to Belleville Michigan for a few then back to Ypsilanti for a long while. Around 19 I moved to Athens Georgia for a year then out to Kansas city wich was a big mistake for 6 months then back to Athens for 5 months then back to Ypsilanti for the next 15 years then back to Athens for the last two years. During some of the above it was good while others were bad and two were to basicly save my life.

Born in Queens, NY. Grew up in Wantagh, NY (NYC Suburbs). Went to college in Hamden, CT, and then moved around Connecticut, and then Boston, Detroit, Irving, TX, Garland, TX, Dallas,TX and now Round Rock TX.

The Dallas area was the longest (16 years) other than growing up.

Born and raised on the southern border with Buffalo (Lackawanna, NY). First played hockey when the creek froze, later in the Buffalo Municipal League playing at Memorial Auditorium and Ft. Erie (Ont.) Arena. Attended many Bisons hockey games (AHL) and Bisons baseball games (International League). Had season tickets to the Bills (Jack Kemp, Daryle Lamonica, Cookie Gilchrist, Elbert Dubenion).

Lived in Elmira NY and New Rochelle NY for three years each (had Rangers season tickets - Ed Giacomin, Jean Ratelle, Rod Gilbert, Vic Hadfield, Brad Park).

Lived in Reston VA for many years, had Capitals season tickets several years. Continued playing hockey in house leagues and in Hockey North America.

Last moved to Martinsburg WV where we built a house on a large wooded area bordered by a creek (great kayaking).

I moved to Detroit in 1966 to go to work for the IRS and my family staid in Cincinnati until I could fine a place to live.
So after two weeks of being in Detroit I drove home over I75 on the weekend to see my family and what did I hear on the Cincinnati radio?
That my brother, who was the SDS president was arrested for assaulting a federal marshal I about drove off the road for I did not know how this would affect me but, of course, nothing happened to me. But is was a shock.

I moved from the Houston area to the Dallas-Forth Worth area in 1991 when I graduated from college. After 17 years, I still take joy in the loss of the Cowboys, Mavericks and Rangers. I don't give a hoot about hockey.

Born in Detroit, lived all over Metro area, Lived in Marquette MI up on Lake superior, Moved to Midland TX, then Austin TX. Back to Detroit area(Wayne State-Dearborn) then to Chicago suburbs- Crete, Chicago Hgts, Park Forest and North Aurora Il, Now I am NE of Atlanta..

Born in Detroit and live all over the metro area, joined the Marine Corps in '81, traveled to all 7-continents and lived in probably 23 states, retired in '01 and lived/worked in the Northern Virginia until last spring, company moved me to the Dallas area last year (like the area, but work is personally rewarding), may move back to VA since our house hasn't sold and my wife is making a whopping 28K with her two graduate degrees. I will be turning 46 this year and I would love to move back to Michigan (even with the crappy weather) since I really miss my family now that I am getting older....too bad the Michigan economy is in the toilet.

I suspect MI will be the last to recover. VA is hurting, but apparently not as badly as most other places. Our competitors are laying off people. Good for us, I suppose. Or a warning of what's to come.

I was born in the Pittsburgh area, then moved to San Antonio TX for basic training, then went to Wichita Falls TX for tech school, then went to Limestone ME for my base, then back to the Pittsburgh area.

Now I want to move to the South West area.

Born in Colonie, NY (suburbs of Albany), lived there through High School, went to college in VT, with 6 months in DC; back to Albany area for grad school for 5 years (2 at home and then 3 married in another small town nearby), then 13 years in Colorado, where I had my first academic job; and now in Normal, IL for a mid-career change.

I have lived in 3 homes and 3 apartments, plus dorms. No sob stories, although it was REALLY hard leaving Colorado last year. I was pretty choked up driving out of the "valley" where we lived, as I headed east.

Born in Meridian, ms. Grew up in Aquilla (yes it is a real place) Alabama, but went to school in Waynesboro, ms. Moved to Ellisville, Ms for the first two years of college, left there and moved to Mobile, Al. After 2 years, I moved to Memphis, then back to Mississippi (hattiesburg). I am now living in Buckatunna (yes, its real too) Mississippi, and plan on being here for a while. Whew, I am tired just thinking about it. Most all of my moves were withing a 5-6 year span.

Born in East Stroudsburg PA ,Lived there untill I was 21
Moved to Henryville PA in 1999 and Lived there untill 2002
Bought 55 acres in Newfoundland Pa and Started Building in 2001 .
Moved in October or 2002. Been here ever since.
Bought 12 acres in Watertown NY in 2006, Built a Little Vacation home up there, Finished in late 2006 ( YES WINTER). Bought my First HEMI in 2006 too.
Sold My Grand Parents 1970 Hemi Charger in 2008 2 years after I fully restored it back to it original state.
Have no plans of moving, Just yet!

Quite a few moves myself: :D

1971-1974, Born in Griffin, GA, lived there till I was 3.
1974-1978, Lived in Shady Hills, FL (northern end of Pasco County)
1978-1980, Lived in Griffin, GA
1980-1983, Lived in Land O' Lakes, FL (southern end of Pasco County)
1983-1989, Lived in Flovilla, GA (southern part of Butts County) til I graduated High School.
1989-1993, Attended Ga Tech in Atlanta, GA
1993-1994, MCRD Paris Island, SC for 3 "fun" months
1994-1995, Stationed at MCLB Albany, GA
1995-1996, Stationed at MCAS New River, NC
1996-1997, Stationed at MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
1997-1998, Stationed back at MCAS New River, NC
1998-2001, Lived in Pleasanton, CA (the East Bay, just below Oakland)
2001-Present, Seven Valleys, PA (southern York County)

I've stayed pretty much in the same county in KY most of my life, went to Lexington, KY to do some of my schooling at UK. But I've done temporary work and have traveled out of state and the US. I'm probably the only one in my neighborhood or town, to have "The Hockey Song" as a ringtone on my cell phone. When people hear it, they think it's cute. When I tell them what it's about... they're like "Oookayy... she must have been born up north."

Isn't it "up nawth" ?

I'm from Nawlin's, I can talk. tawk. whatever

Born in Flushing, NY
Lived in Bronx, NY
Lived in Reseda, CA
Lived in Holmes, NY
Stationed in San Antonio, TX
Stationed in Wichita Falls, TX
Stationed in Roswell, NM
Back to Holmes
Lived in Van Nuys, North Hollywood, Burbank and Sherman Oaks, CA
Lived in Arcadia, La Puente and Temple City, CA
Lived in Rohnert Park, CA

I got around and don't intend to follow that trend anymore. Been in this same house 22 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)