Did anyone get one of these emails or is it a scam?

bookworm370

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I got the email (below) a couple of days ago. It looks like Dish is apologizing for the lack of Sports programming and offering to give the following sports packs for free for the next six months.

This raised a few eyebrows:

1. The email obviously spells my wife's name wrong with capital letters.
  2. Why do you have to click the button to redeem it? If they were going to give it me, they could just have added it and sent a letter saying they added the packs.
  3. They are giving me the NFL Network, Big 10 and PAC 12 when football is over!
  4. Why before March 11, the email seems to be pushing for you to take action fast.
  5. The email seems wonky, but when I hover over the link it does seem to point to www.mydish.com/redeemmultisport.
  6. The account number last 4 digits are correct, removed on the attachment for security sake.
So, is this phishing? If so then some data was leaked and Dish has not told us. Again, if true, why have us redeem, unless there is an auto-renew that the email does not tell you about and they hope you will forget to terminate it.

I haven't seen anyone post about it so I thought I'd ask.

Information regarding sports programming during 2020. copy.jpg

Information regarding sports programming during 2020-2. copy.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
Got the email, but, since:
1) had just turned off Mutli-sport a couple of weeks ago after the NFL season was done (no need for Redzone);
2) I get a number of these channels (like NFL Network) in my 250 pack;
3) Most of them are useless now that football season is over (NBA TV is always useless to me);
I didn't bother to look any further.

Does have a "phishing smell" and, if I were interested, I'd have gone directly to Dish vs. clicking the link. Dish is obviously trying for a little good press without really giving up much...no a big deal. I suspect they didn't do it automatically so they could actually evaluate how much response there was. (Also, given the personalities on view here at Sat Guys, there would have been a bunch of folks raising holy hell for Dish changing their programming w/o permission).

Checking the link is a quick way of sorting out spam, fishing, etc. If the linked domain ends in ".ru", ".ng", etc, instead of a recognizable US top level domain, it's a pretty good bet it isn't legitimate. Still not sure? By all means ask Dish...

Checking the link is a quick way of sorting out spam, fishing, etc. If the linked domain ends in ".ru", ".ng", etc, instead of a recognizable US top level domain, it's a pretty good bet it isn't legitimate. Still not sure? By all means ask Dish...
Link appears ok. My Norton had no problem with it and it takes you to a login screen.

Looks like a phish to me. Every time I log into my dish account it is always at my.dish.com NOT mydish.com (notice the dot between my and dish).
Yes, the link in the first post does redirect to my.dish with https: at the beginning, and a lock symbol to the left, at least in Firefox. Whenever I open a new tab in Firefox, it always shows both mydish and my.dish as some of my most frequently viewed sites. This is because every time I click on the shortcut link for mydish, it redirects to my.dish.

Unfortunately, the Bad Guys and Gals can get Certificates for bogus websites, so the lock icon is no longer a good enough indication of a valid website.

Shouldn't Dish or any company offering these deals warn people with capital letters not to click any link and go directly to their web site with their web browser? There are many old /not tech savvy/careless people who unfortunately fall into this trap. Pretty much every email I get from well known companies provide that information. NEVER click any link in email! Glad you did not, Bookworm370.

Shouldn't Dish or any company offering these deals warn people with capital letters not to click any link and go directly to their web site with their web browser? There are many old /not tech savvy/careless people who unfortunately fall into this trap. Pretty much every email I get from well known companies provide that information. NEVER click any link in email! Glad you did not, Bookworm370.

The SSA sends emails out with links to click. Very ungood practice
Unfortunately, if you don't make it easy (link within the email), there are many who wouldn't be able to navigate it on their own. I remember watching my dad on the computer... open up a browser window, go to google.com, then put in pga.com in the google search bar, then click the link to pga.com.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I'm not sure about the five free months of Multi-Sport. However, there is a legitimate offer from Dish, that refunds five months' worth of the RSN surcharge, for the regions that have that fee.
Unlike the Multi-Sport offer, this one is automatic, and does not require any action by the customer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts