Did anyone try (successfully) to transfer shows to Hopper 3 with ethernet cable?

gislands

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
California
So on Saturday I had the H3 installed, and wow what a cool DVR. In addition I had the three 4K Joeys and to me it is hard to find a speed difference between the two.
Before I had the H3 installed I had watched most of the clutter on my DVR so didn't care about losing the shows and starting new. If I did I guess I could have just got an external hard drive.
But I did notice there was a feature that allowed you to connect the older HWS to H3 via ethernet cable to transfer. So I did with a cat 7 cable and let it do its thing for about two hours and nothing. I had about 50 HD shows so that probably wouldn't have been enough time. I didn't notice any shows being added to the DVR folders. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has done this successfully and also wouldn't you need a crossover cable like if you were connecting two computers to each other or two routers to each other?
Just curious.
gIslands.

Long story short...the Hopper Transfers feature isn't working yet. Not sure what their plan may be to get it working properly.

Thanks,
That is what I thought. The H3 made it look like it was doing something, moving sweeping status bar, but I figured it was one of those features that isn't a real feature since everyone here talks about external HD.

How would he get the new Carbon guide installed on his Hopper?
Make sure that nothing is scheduled to start recording and that no one is using a Joey (if there is one).

Press the MENU button, then Settings, then Diagnostics, and then Standby. From that screen, press Play, Play (a 2nd time), then Recall. It will ask if you want to download an update - tell it to proceed. It will probably take a few minutes before it does anything. Once it starts downloading, tell him to walk away and don't use it until it's done. There is NO interaction needed from the user. The Joey will update on it's own shortly after.

Reactions: xfoneguy
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I was wondering if Dish has added the ability to transfer recordings using the old UI. I have an original Hopper (S614), so I can't upgrade to the Carbon UI.

I'm wanting to upgrade to a H3, but I hate having to buy an EHD just to transfer a few recordings.

NYET!

Ethernet xfr is reportedly slower than via EHD. I find my EHDs very useful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts