DISH - Please do not release carbon UI to HWS until more stable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
Dish Engineers:

Right now I have a HWS that is working nearly perfectly. From what I have read here, the new carbon UI is a buggy nightmare. I have been with Dish for over 18 years, and I have never seen such a list of problems:
Spontaneous re-boots, Timers missing, Timers not executing, Timers changing all by themselves, Timers disappearing, Corrupt recordings, recordings disappearing, sports bar mode causing reboots, All recorded shows gone, etc, etc, etc.

All this for what? A new look and a few new features that I do not care about? Is it really worth it?

PLEASE DO NOT TURN MY NEARLY PERFECTLY WORKING RECEIVER INTO A BUGGY MESS!!!

I would much rather wait a few months, or even several months, for a stable release, than have to put up with the issues that your customers are reporting. I have been with you for a long time, but I promise you that if you force the carbon UI onto my HWS, and it has the number of bugs that I see reported here, I will be leaving Dish forever!

I did forced update, so I looked into the eyes of the Gorgon, and it got rolled back at S529, which has its own problems and is not as perfect as some think. But I am scared to death to get the CUI on my HwS's. It will cause complete and total chaos in my house.

So a big +1 on the "leave things alone". As others I will be more than glad to wait (for a very long time if necessary).

I am so happy that I did not upgrade my 2 HWS and Joey 2 to the new Hopper 3. I do not own a 4K tv and my dish systems are very stable.

Some of the 4K problems with the Hopper 3 are probably HDCP handshaking issues. Particularly when there is an AVR receiver between the hopper 3 and the 4K tv.

I will wait on upgrading my tv and hopper until the HDCP issues are fixed.

No constant reboots, no lost timers - just a very stable excellent DVR with my 2 HWS receivers.

I wonder if there's a way to block carbon from installing in the event dish decides to push it to my HWS. Probably not.
I'm not against the new UI, I just would prefer to wait until the myriad of problems/complaints are resolved.

I am so happy that I did not upgrade my 2 HWS and Joey 2 to the new Hopper 3. I do not own a 4K tv and my dish systems are very stable.

Some of the 4K problems with the Hopper 3 are probably HDCP handshaking issues. Particularly when there is an AVR receiver between the hopper 3 and the 4K tv.

I will wait on upgrading my tv and hopper until the HDCP issues are fixed.

No constant reboots, no lost timers - just a very stable excellent DVR with my 2 HWS receivers.
Yeah, there is a bit of an issue with HDCP and 4K right now.
But my H3 has been pretty much trouble free with an odd issue on some fairly rare occasions. Glad I did the upgrade, don't miss the HWS+SuperJoey combo I had at all. No constant reboots here except for a very short while yesterday, no lost timers ever. Note that yesterday's constant reboots were an issue caused by something at Dish, not the H3 itself. Same issue could just as well have affected the HWS's too. Luck of the draw I suppose.

Thanks everyone for supporting my position on this issue!!!

The folks that wanted to be the first to get the Hopper 3 knew that there would be issues with a new receiver. Likewise, the folks that wanted the new carbon UI on their HWS were able to key in the magic keystroke combination to get the new interface. In both cases, they elected to do that themselves.

Please DISH, you have to realize that forcing the broken interface onto a receiver that has no real issues is a totally different thing!!!

No one is asking for this! WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO ALIENATE SO MANY OF YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!

I can only hope that you will come to your senses and delay forcing the new UI on us!

jerryez is right, if it is not broken, why are you trying to fix it!!!

I guess that I have a different point of view.
I did the force download to the new CUI some time ago. Now on both of my HWS (H2s) and am perfectly happy with it. I actually like it.
Lots of nice features. Took a bit of time to become used to it but now it is the new normal for me.

From what I read on the forums, the H3 is a different story all together. I will hold off on getting one of them suckers until they really, really settle down.

Yeah, there is a bit of an issue with HDCP and 4K right now.
But my H3 has been pretty much trouble free with an odd issue on some fairly rare occasions. Glad I did the upgrade, don't miss the HWS+SuperJoey combo I had at all. No constant reboots here except for a very short while yesterday, no lost timers ever. Note that yesterday's constant reboots were an issue caused by something at Dish, not the H3 itself. Same issue could just as well have affected the HWS's too. Luck of the draw I suppose.

I'm with lparsons21. I'm glad I did the upgrade to the H3 - love the new CUI and functionality of this 16 tuner beast! I've had minimal problems.

Reactions: JSheridan
There are so many different bugs and issues with the UI on my 2-HWS it hard to remember them all.

Yesterday was a new one, 1 of my Hoppers was showing it had 5 Tuners, when in fact I have no OTA or Super Joeys connected.

The main function of the UI is okay. But there seems to be always the risk for a random lockup,and reboot plus the potential black box on the screen.

There are some recording issues on occasion, like missed recordings and some corrupt recording.
Now these recording issues, I also remember having with s529, and Dish had now answer or explanation for them.

I was informed that "Protecting" a recording was the cause of the current recording being unable to play.
Now I don't think so because I've had other unprotected recording become corrupt and not playback after some odd weeks.
Very strange indeed and I've had them happen on bother Hoppers.

I like these Hoppers but after 9 months of use, I've noticed that I find myself worrying if recording will play back or even record.

My Hopper rating is slowly going downward.
I hope the release version of the New UI brings back reliability and my Feelings towards the Hopper.

But at this point I'm not sure I even want to get into an H3 at all.

I may just get 4 Wallys and 4 Hard drives.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: MikeD-C05
You volunteered with fair warning to beta test on HWS. Should have just upgraded to H3. It works just fine. Don't let the FEW having problems turn you off.
And it's not ready for Main street.
Which is what has been stated many times.
So your answer would be to all the H2s customers would be you should upgrade to an H3?

Wow great solution. .....

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

And it's not ready for Main street.
Which is what has been stated many times.
So your answer would be to all the H2s customers would be you should upgrade to an H3?

Wow great solution. .....

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Not ready for main street is your opinion, one which I don't share at all.
My answer to anyone with a Hopper 2 is to do what they think is in their best interest. For me it was a money saver with more features and tuners, and I have not been a bit disappointed.
What you or others do is entirely up to you.

Thanks everyone for supporting my position on this issue!!!

The folks that wanted to be the first to get the Hopper 3 knew that there would be issues with a new receiver. Likewise, the folks that wanted the new carbon UI on their HWS were able to key in the magic keystroke combination to get the new interface. In both cases, they elected to do that themselves.

Please DISH, you have to realize that forcing the broken interface onto a receiver that has no real issues is a totally different thing!!!

No one is asking for this! WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO ALIENATE SO MANY OF YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!

I can only hope that you will come to your senses and delay forcing the new UI on us!

jerryez is right, if it is not broken, why are you trying to fix it!!!

I was in the unfortunate position of my Hopper hard drive going bad and had to switch. I had an appointment set up for the technician to come out and got a call from Dish (thought it was Dish but was an agent) saying I could get the Hopper 3. I did not know it was that brand knew. I just knew I had issues with my Mom recording so much that a lot of the time my Dad could not watch his television! I asked the technician if he recommended staying with what we had or the Hopper 3. He said with the recording issues that Hopper 3 would be better ... I wish that Dish agent would not have called! LOL! Although it is nice not hearing Dad complaint he can't watch TV, Mom complains about all of the issues with the Hopper3 and the stuff she doesn't like about it! She keeps saying ... if it wasn't broke why did they change it! LOL!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)