DISH - Please do not release carbon UI to HWS until more stable

What features are new w/ it? I haven't found anything that adds to my viewing enjoyment: perhaps I am missing them.
First and foremost, and likely the most requested is an update time that is not going to affect the viewing experience.

I have been requesting that feature, but with the number of problems reported, I would rather wait several more months for a more stable release, than have that insignificant feature.

ChadT41, we all know that at some point Dish will force the carbon UI on us all whether we want it or not. However, all we are asking is that Dish please delay doing this until all of the bugs are worked out. I do not think that that is unreasonable. We have receivers with a good WORKING interface. We want to keep it that way!

Like how they have been waiting since last summer when it was suppose to come out?? Because it isn't right yet. And to point out I have had less problems with the new UI then the old,...

What features are new w/ it? I haven't found anything that adds to my viewing enjoyment: perhaps I am missing them.
You got me thinking. Now I can't really find any 'new' features in the CUI but little things just jump out when I am navigating that I never notice before.
For just using a DVR to watch TV I actually preferred the VIP series User Interface over the 'picture' interface originally on the Hoppers. I guess I gradually got used to the 'picture' interface but wonder if, or how I would have liked it if the jump would have been from the VIP to the CUI instead.
I haven't noticed any 'bugs' in the new interface but then, I don't go looking for them and mainly use the H2s for watching and recording TV shows for later viewing. So far it doesn't make my breakfast.:biggrin

I thought I read that users that had 2 HWS receivers could not share the PTAT programs with the new carbon interface. This would be unacceptable to me. Can someone who is using the new interface and has 2 HWS receivers confirm this? Also, I keep reading about timers getting deleted. Is this happening with the HWS receivers or just Hopper 3? Anybody experiencing audio drop outs from recordings made with the OTA dongle on the HWS with the new interface? Or is this just a problem with the H3? We would appreciate answers from someone who is using the new interface with 2 hopper with sling having the OTA tuners. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Troch77
Also does the new carbon interface remove the ability to fast forward at 4X on the Hopper with sling receivers or is this only removed on the hopper 3?

I thought I read that users that had 2 HWS receivers could not share the PTAT programs with the new carbon interface. This would be unacceptable to me. Can someone who is using the new interface and has 2 HWS receivers confirm this? Also, I keep reading about timers getting deleted. Is this happening with the HWS receivers or just Hopper 3? Anybody experiencing audio drop outs from recordings made with the OTA dongle on the HWS with the new interface? Or is this just a problem with the H3? We would appreciate answers from someone who is using the new interface with 2 hopper with sling having the OTA tuners. Thank you in advance.
Yes they no longer share PTA content.
That means you have to enable both Hoppers to do PTA, which takes 2 of your 6 available tuners, which sucks when you have 4 people trying to watch live TV and record anything.

Also if only one is active, now your forced to that room, and can't continue on the other Hopper.

Both my Hopper, have 300x FF and that works fine.

The only APP you can exit without a Giant black box on the screen is Netflix.
Mini Guides never work.

If you open your RSN folder "press the + " in the guide, and then "press - " to close it, you lose the channel guide highlight and you cannot scroll or select a channel from the guide.

You have to exit the guide and re-enter the guide.

If you select an SD rsn from the guide it brings you to the HD channel anyway, which is fine, as long as the HD channel has actual content available.
If not , you have to press channel up or down to get the SD version.

If you click on "Test Installation" it will as you to confirm or deny, even if you select deny, it still proceeds with a check switch anyway.

Recording timers sometimes disappear.
Recordings also, sometimes are corrupt and refuse to playback, happens on either HOPPER, and you never know when.

Moca summary screen, is cut off at the bottom.

Hoppers randomly show 5 available tuners when no Super Joey or OTA are connected.
If you select 4 or 5 , nothing happens.

The Hopper no longer gives you the option to record to the other Hopper when a conflict may occur.

When 2 recordings over lap, the Hopper will not take the unused tuner automatically, it will take the tuner your currently watching live tv, and you have to manually pick the open availability tuner.

I've also hear many OTA issues ,and Other media issues.

But that's all I can think of off hand.

OH and the Audio synchronization is off somtimes, and you have to rewind live tv, and then press live tv.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
Reactions: navychop
Here are some pictures on the few issues.
Rsn guide glitch
d8b2539a3642c63df1f37518f8ed1176.jpg

Guide normal
23a82d92fd12bc953e01881178e0bea2.jpg

Block box from exiting an app.
5ec63d77dbfe1701775663c1914bf5f8.jpg

Inactive PTA hopper can't seen Other Hopper that is active.
7dc40c404e4c316d51d0570535b77cc2.jpg

Mini Guide
94a1417d6219469961161c686a7e49e2.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: navychop
Here's mine without pictures.
Mini-guides = works fine
Apps = in and out, no problem, and not using Netflix to test
RSN guide = works fine

You must be holding your mouth wrong!! :)

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Yes. I have a single H3 and no other boxes.
I'm connected directly to a 4K compatible HDMI port on my 4K tv and not through an AVR. How are you connected.

Yes. I have a single H3 and no other boxes.
I'm connected directly to a 4K compatible HDMI port on my 4K tv and not through an AVR. How are you connected.

I don't have a Hopper 3 yet.
This thread is about the Hopper 2 and the S204 UI.

I'm glad the Hopper 3 doesn't have these issues because I'll be rid of them come Sunday then.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
No biggy, I know there is a Hopper 3 issues thread, But I'm not sure if any are similar or not.

Last edited:
I thought I read that users that had 2 HWS receivers could not share the PTAT programs with the new carbon interface. This would be unacceptable to me. Can someone who is using the new interface and has 2 HWS receivers confirm this?
I thought the issue was having a Hopper w/Sling with the new interface and an original Hopper (a Hopper 1) without the new interface ? In that situation, that's true that they can't communicate properly.

Also, I keep reading about timers getting deleted. Is this happening with the HWS receivers or just Hopper 3?
Haven't seen that myself.

Anybody experiencing audio drop outs from recordings made with the OTA dongle on the HWS with the new interface?
I have recorded and watched a small number of programs off of OTA and haven't seen this issue.

I have two accounts. One H3 account and one 2 HWS account... Everything is working as it is supposed to, minus small bugs that I cannot recreate. Both have lost the 4x speed.

Of course Chad. I'm sure your equipment is just perfect.

I posted pictures clearly 2 HWS don't work as they should.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I thought the issue was having a Hopper w/Sling with the new interface and an original Hopper (a Hopper 1) without the new interface ? In that situation, that's true that they can't communicate properly.

Haven't seen that myself.

I have recorded and watched a small number of programs off of OTA and haven't seen this issue.
It's True with also PTA even when both Hoppers have U204.
They can't share PTA.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

It is, but keep in mind I used to work on these for a living. Also was a member of the techops back in the day...

I guess that is why you think Dish can do no wrong!

All I was asking when I started this thread was for Dish to hold off forcing the carbon UI on us until it is less buggy. No one is asking for this new interface, and if they really want it, they can enter the magic keystroke combination and go for it! The rest of us would rather wait.

Reactions: Troch77 and dweber

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts