DISH - Please do not release carbon UI to HWS until more stable

Dish will release it to the HWS when they are good and ready, whether tomorrow or this time next year. A thread at a message board asking them not to release it until this or that bug is fixed will be paid attention to by Dish as much as you or I pissing in the wind.
The point I have been making this whole time. And Teoch... If that was made to work with the 4K... And anyone else downloaded it, they did so at their own risk as Dish KNEW it was not ready for mas production yet. Weird how that is exactly the point and why it's relevant to this convo. As mentioned, Dish will release it when they feel it is ready, whether tomorrow or a year from now and a thread asking otherwise is pointless. And no, customers were not asked to beta that software until they got their hands on it and Dish seized an opportunity that otherwise was known not ready and not steady. Please leave your constructive criticism on dish pushed software but what you are saying here is again... Worthless. If Dish downloaded the software for you, then please give me the gripes, but if you chose to take the beta SW, it doesn't matter.

Doesn't mean the software will be ready though ;)
Never said it would, I was just saying that folks are wasting their time even expecting that Dish will pay attention to anyone's request in this thread to wait. They will rerelease it when THEY WANT TO ready or not.

The point I have been making this whole time. And Teoch... If that was made to work with the 4K... And anyone else downloaded it, they did so at their own risk as Dish KNEW it was not ready for mas production yet. Weird how that is exactly the point and why it's relevant to this convo. As mentioned, Dish will release it when they feel it is ready, whether tomorrow or a year from now and a thread asking otherwise is pointless. And no, customers were not asked to beta that software until they got their hands on it and Dish seized an opportunity that otherwise was known not ready and not steady. Please leave your constructive criticism on dish pushed software but what you are saying here is again... Worthless. If Dish downloaded the software for you, then please give me the gripes, but if you chose to take the beta SW, it doesn't matter.
You might be right about Dish not listening to or caring about what its customers think, but I think that any company that does not listen to their customers is shooting themselves in the foot!

Here is an example of how a company can listen to its customers:

When the National Geographic channel was launched, they had the same logo that they have now except that it was very bright yellow with no transparency. A thread was started on the AVS forum about this because their logo was causing image retention and image burn-in on the plasma TVs that were available at the time. A lot of us expressed the opinion that they should change their logo. Some of us wrote to National geographic about the issue. We wrote things like: wow you have a good channel with programming that I would like. Too bad that I won't be able to watch any of it because of your logo causing burn-in on my plasma TV.

To our surprise, a short time later, one of us received a phone call from an executive at National Geographic. He discussed the problem, and within a week, the National Geographic channel had changed their logo to what it is now. The National Geographic executive said that they had conferred with their engineers and had come up with a logo that would not cause any issues. Now that is how a company should respond to customer issues!!!

Who ever thought that a few guys posting on the AVS forum would make such a difference!!!

Maybe you are correct that Dish will not listen to us. I do not care, When I started this thread I thought that if I presented logical arguments, they we may be able to convince Dish to not stick with a certain deadline, but rather wait however long it takes to be a lot more stable than it is now. No one is asking for this interface change!!! Why alienate your customers!!!

If Dish just ignores their customers, they are much dumber than I thought!!! No company can disregard their customer's opinions without incurring a lot of customer alienation. Maybe I am talking to nobody, but that is no reason for me not to try anyway! Just look at what we did with the National Geographic logo issue. We actually made a difference!!!

It is a well known fact that a lot of Dish employees read this forum. Perhaps we can make a difference here too!!!

Last edited:
There is a big difference in softening a logo, and setting a standard software. Ultimately, that is the goal, have all Hoppers on a standard software. Phasing out the H1, having the H2 and H3 all using something consistent across the board to make it easier for customers when calling in to deal with a knowledgeable representative. And as far as nobody asking, requests still pop up here, on social media and at Dishs page asking when the new UI will come out. What you meant to say is nobody you noticed is asking. That's a big difference as well.

There is a big difference in softening a logo, and setting a standard software. Ultimately, that is the goal, have all Hoppers on a standard software. Phasing out the H1, having the H2 and H3 all using something consistent across the board to make it easier for customers when calling in to deal with a knowledgeable representative. And as far as nobody asking, requests still pop up here, on social media and at Dishs page asking when the new UI will come out. What you meant to say is nobody you noticed is asking. That's a big difference as well.
I realize that that is Dish's goal, and it is sensible.

So what you are telling me is that I should just shut up because Dish is not going to listen to anyone? That is a really stupid thing to say!

Please, ChadT, your posts here have mostly been off-topic and I really did not understand what your point was until you quoted bobvick. All I can say is that I hope you are wrong! Also, I do not see the "big difference" between my example with National Geographic and Dish. It was a good example of how a company can listen to its customers.

Some people always think that they are right. A lot of times it is good to try to listen to what others are saying!

Reactions: Troch77
I realize that that is Dish's goal, and it is sensible.

So what you are telling me is that I should just shut up because Dish is not going to listen to anyone? That is a really stupid thing to say!

Please, ChadT, your posts here have mostly been off-topic and I really did not understand what your point was until you quoted bobvick. All I can say is that I hope you are wrong! Also, I do not see the "big difference" between my example with National Geographic and Dish. It was a good example of how a company can listen to its customers.

Some people always think that they are right. A lot of times it is good to try to listen to what others are saying!
You'll never win with him.
He has so much programed Dish CSR in him, that would take a million lifetimes to crack.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

First off Dish doesn't have uniformity across the Hopper platforms at all.

H3 has a completely different UI than H1 or H2.
And then throw in a 4K joey with a Hopper 2, and now you are talking about 3 different versions on the Hopper.
Smart move?? He'll no!.

Face it Dish threw out a UI, and even a Hopper3 and 4K joey premature Just to say to the competition" Hey we have one with 16 tuners first "
And now they are still scratching their balls over a year now on this UI that barely works on H2s, and not at all on H1s.

Again rush rush rush and for what?
H1,and 2s were just fine the way they were.
So with that in mind, the point here is that you seem to be missing with your Blinders on, people don't want U204 pushed to their Hoppers.
And for good reason.

Now if Dish wants to release a more stable version for existing Hopper then by all means push the update throughout.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Jim S. and Tony S
I will say this. Troch, with your example, emailing or contacting the company directly would be more effective than venting on a message board that may or may not even get to the correct audience within said company. You can be assured that the direct contact is what got NG to change their logo, not the thread on AVS Forum. Same applies here with Dish.

Reactions: KAB and ChadT41
I will say this. Troch, with your example, emailing or contacting the company directly would be more effective than venting on a message board that may or may not even get to the correct audience within said company. You can be assured that the direct contact is what got NG to change their logo, not the thread on AVS Forum. Same applies here with Dish.
What makes you think I haven't directly contacted dish?
You may want to direct this to Tony assuming he hasn't already contacted dish.

I've had Multiple responses.
Most of which contain information on these Bugs that I have experienced with the UI.
Dish knows exactly what flaws U204 has.
Everyone I posted has been confirmed.
See even Dish isn't telling people the new UI "Work good for them"
They even read me off a list of H3 issues. Many are listed here, and some I've not even seen here yet.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Face it Dish threw out a UI, and even a Hopper3 and 4K joey premature Just to say to the competition" Hey we have one with 16 tuners first "

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
I thought you upgraded to a Hopper 3? If it is so bad why did you give up your HWS units?
I have used the H3 since the first day they could be activated and have had few issues. Less than I did with my HWS units with the old, non Carbon user interface.

I thought you upgraded to a Hopper 3? If it is so bad why did you give up your HWS units?
Friday.
And it has nothing to do with the Hopper3,
It's just an example of why the software versions are so buggy.
Because it's all a big rush, and for what? 4K?
16 tuners?
What was the urgency?
The only reason I see the H1 and 2s are getting this UI , was because of the H3 ,and 4K joey plans.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I have used the H3 since the first day they could be activated and have had few issues. Less than I did with my HWS units with the old, non Carbon user interface.
Well according to Dish's "advanced Tech support," they have Netflix connectivity issues , more so with the Joeys,That was the number one complaint.....
Corrupt Recordings/unplayable recordings was number 2.
Number 3 was Poor OTA scanning, What ever that means?

Now I don't have Netflix issues on my 2 HWS , or my Joeys.
So that's scary.
Also I have had Multiple corrupt recordings, on 204, so I sure Hope that doesn't happen on the H3.
But I've also seen several post here stating that is a problem.

So if someone would like to post a fair assessment with the H3, that would be great.

So Far Mr Parsons has provided what I think is the most neutral evaluation so far. Problem is he has no Joeys.
But he certainly isn't coming in saying my Hopper has no bugs it works great.
Every piece of equipment has bugs.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I would really like to contact Vivek Khemka. Does anyone know how to do that?

I think it would help to post email addresses that we can write our concerns to.

Well according to Dish's "advanced Tech support," they have Netflix connectivity issues , more so with the Joeys,That was the number one complaint.....
Corrupt Recordings/unplayable recordings was number 2.
Number 3 was Poor OTA scanning, What ever that means?

Now I don't have Netflix issues on my 2 HWS , or my Joeys.
So that's scary.
Also I have had Multiple corrupt recordings, on 204, so I sure Hope that doesn't happen on the H3.
But I've also seen several post here stating that is a problem.

So if someone would like to post a fair assessment with the H3, that would be great.

So Far Mr Parsons has provided what I think is the most neutral evaluation so far. Problem is he has no Joeys.
But he certainly isn't coming in saying my Hopper has no bugs it works great.
Every piece of equipment has bugs.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I assume these issues are on a HWS using the beta 204? To be fair it is beta and Dish is NOT pushing it out to all HWS units. There is really nothing to complain about yet, as it is a BETA version, and you should be aware of the risks going in.
I use Netflix every day on my H3 and a combination of wireless, 4K, and Joey 2.0 units, have never had any trouble. I have had 2 corrupted recordings out of hundreds, I have better OTA scanning with the H3 than I did with the H2. On the H2, VHF 13 would not lock, the picture would jump in and out in and out, on the H3, VHF 13 locks with no trouble. I cannot save OTA channels to Favourites, which is also a known issue. I have not used 4K on the H3 as I don't have a 4K TV yet, so I can't say how anything does when using with a 4K TV.

I have an H3 and 2 Joey 2.0's, and have had them since the day after they were available to the public.
I don't use OTA so cannot comment on that aspect.
I don't have a 4K television, so can't comment on that aspect.
I have had close to zero real issues with general television viewing, recording single or series episodes, etc.
The one complaint that I had was that it took forever to get the program icons - this issue was resolved after putting the H3 and Joey's in standby overnight.
Again, this is the H3 and Joey 2.0's.

I did not participate in the beta testing for the Carbon UI on the Hopper w/sling.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I would really like to contact Vivek Khemka. Does anyone know how to do that?

I think it would help to post email addresses that we can write our concerns to.
There are general mailboxes at Dish that should be used. If, by chance, someone got the direct e-mail address of a person at any company, it's unprofessional to post it publicly. Yes, many can be found online or guessed at based on typical address formats, but what happens is people start emailing someone like Vivek about DVR error codes they got, their remote isn't working right, etc, etc. When things are abused - and those would qualify as abuse - they often go away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts