DISH - Please do not release carbon UI to HWS until more stable

No I just understand some of their inner workings. I also know what to consider a bug of relevance. I haven't experienced any long term bugs that affect my machine at all.

While I agree that the new UI should not be forced upon the public until it is ready, please don't let that stop you from pushing out an interim bug fix release to those of us who already have it. U204 is over a month old. I have not adjusted my timer priorities in over a month because when I do, they start to disappear.

Reactions: dennispap
ChadT41, Just because you are experiencing few problems does not mean that the other problems do not exist! You could be using your receiver differently than someone else. Someone else might be using a different sequence of button pushes, or might operate the receiver in a way that is totally different from what you are doing, or may be doing things in a way that you never thought of. All it takes is a certain sequence of events to trigger a problem that you may never see!

I am sure that all of the problems reported by Trosh77 earlier in this thread are very real. He seems like an intelligent guy and I am sure that he is not making all of that up! Just because you are not seeing some of those issues does not mean much! It just means that the way that you are using your receiver, and the sequence of button pushes that you use, seems to exhibit less problems than some others!

That does not alter the fact that there are many folks who have posted major problems with the carbon UI. Just look through this forum!

Reactions: Troch77 and Jim S.
The only real annoyance for me, using the new Carbon UI is that the auto tune notice pop up blocks viewing the program you are watching instead of being a small message like before. This happens if you are already tuned to the channel. Seems like they could know you are already tuned to that channel and not throw up the message. Not a bug, just annoying new feature.

One other personal annoyance for me is the caller ID message is now very small and in the lower right corner. I'm sure this is desired for most people but I'm in the habit of leaving the TV which is across the room on while eating dinner. Before I could see the caller ID number from the, at least, 20 feet or so away and now I have to get up and go closer to see it. (I hate those damn robo calls all day long)

Anyone that had the beta version, has a version not meant for use. It will be buggy regardless of the sequence. That said, the H3 is much better and faster and the reports seen here, in comparison to the number of users that subscribed to the H3 are minimal. Yes, I disregard all posts about the beta version of the UI that was downloaded with an "at your own risk" tag. One that was never designed for consumer use.

ChadT41, This thread's topic has nothing to do with the H3. The topic of this thread is to convince Dish not to force the carbon UI interface onto the HWS until it is ready. Most of us would rather wait a long time than have problems!!!

Also, I thought that the original purpose of the magic key combination to download the carbon UI onto the HWS was to accommodate those that wanted to have the 4K Joeys, and this gave the installers a way to do that. So, while the carbon UI was not meant for general release to the HWS, it certainly was meant to be released for that purpose!

Also, I thought that the original purpose of the magic key combination to download the carbon UI onto the HWS was to accommodate those that wanted to have the 4K Joeys, and this gave the installers a way to do that. So, while the carbon UI was not meant for general release to the HWS, it certainly was meant to be released for that purpose!
Yes, that is correct.

It was my understanding it was for employees to beta test initially.
If Dish employees wanted to test, the engineering group could push the s/w to individual receivers based on their receiver IDs.

The reason it's available is for the reason stated above - Dish made the 4K Joey available to anyone with a Hopper (2 or 3). The 4K Joey has the Carbon UI and therefore requires it's "host" receiver to also be on the Carbon UI or it won't work properly. I imagine the number of installs with a Hopper 2 and 4K Joey was pretty minimal so they devised this option of getting the new UI pushed to receivers on a case-by-case basis.

Reactions: Tony S
Chad, your posts have not added anything to this thread. It has been said repeatedly that some HWS users would like Dish to NOT release the CUI to the masses until the major bugs have been worked out. It is not acceptable for as HWS to delete my timers, not record my timers and not playback recorded timers. These are major bugs and should be fixed, before Dish releases the CUI to us. This thread has nothing to do with the H3 or those SatGuys that have chosen to download the beta CUI to their receivers.

I see there is no winning this one so the argument is pointless. Either way, as originally stated, it will be released to all H2's once ready.

Has Dish ever (I mean EVER) released a receiver without MINOR bugs. I Love my HWS, but it still has minor bugs, but it is still better than Windows 10.

If you bought a car with the bugs that a computer has, you would paint lemons on it and park it in front of the dealer.

Even if it's ready with minor bugs, people will still bitch so it is pointless to argue at this point.
It's not bitching, It's called "constructive criticism "

There is a long list of bugs with U204.
If you don't think so, we'll that good for you, but based on 95% or your post dish does no wrong.
Well thats of no help to anyone at all and extremely predictable.

Now we were all given a chance to test this software out, and it's not acceptable .
We gave a list of issues which is exactly what was asked.
But Chad if you are going to intervene on every bug complaint with your usual "It works fine for me"
Well apparently no one can stop you.
But bare in mind, I certainly have started taking your positive reviews with a grain of salt, as I've found them extremely biased .

I don't know how you read product reviews Chad when in the market for anything, But the read the negative reviews because most times they are the helpful ones with Information in regards what problems you could encounter.

Now I've given a list and photos , of present day issues that are certainly major flaws.
People should have to worry about recording issues when paying for DVR services or any of the issue that are certainly present.

Now if you don't have any of my issues, we'll I question that significantly. And sorry But I flat out don't believe I'm the only one with 2 hopper that act as such, when there are multiple people including dish tech support that had every single one and more of my listed issues on file.

This thread isn't about your Hopper 3.
Congratulations it works good, I'm glad, can't be any worse that for sure.

Now, I've decided to spend $160 extra on a Hopper 3 to get these Hoppers with U204 out of my site.

But not everyone can afford to do this, So I don't understand why people have to come into this thread all fan boyish ?

Why do yous care?
There are lots of threads you can talk about how great your Hopper is currently.
Doesn't have to be this one.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Dish will release it to the HWS when they are good and ready, whether tomorrow or this time next year. A thread at a message board asking them not to release it until this or that bug is fixed will be paid attention to by Dish as much as you or I pissing in the wind.

Reactions: ChadT41
If you bought a car with the bugs that a computer has, you would paint lemons on it and park it in front of the dealer.

Except with cars or computers, you can buy something else. With Dish, if you want their service, you have to use their receiver and let them do whatever they want to it.

I fully concur with the OP's request that Dish wait to disperse this new UI.

I really see nothing wrong with the current UI and in fact have heard of some "Features" of the Carbon UI that I do not particularly want, like only a 2.5 hour window in the guide, and especially if the PTAT sharing GLARING APOSTACY is not rectified, I would consider going to cable with TiVos over swallowing the Carbon UI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts