Did Directv update its HD broadcasting? Pic looks alot better

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Senz

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I was wondering if they are still using low bitrates, or found a way to make the picture sharper?

Mainly on CBS and Fox national feeds, ive noticed programs coming in almost pixelated free. Not sure what changed but i love it and hope more comes

I have noticed on my 1080p HDTV, it seems on some days the picture is a lot cleaner and crisper than others. Don't notice it quite so much on the older 1080i set though. They may be doing some playing around with the compression.

could be they have updated their equipment like Dish network, i thought there was an article awhile back saying they invested in the same equipment, could be wrong though :)

could be they have updated their equipment like Dish network, i thought there was an article awhile back saying they invested in the same equipment, could be wrong though :)

Here is Scott`s quote in regards to better picture quality from E* that was listed over in there forum.

Yesterday Dish Network made a MAJOR change to its HD broadcasts on 6 of its HD Channels, and while we openly discussed those changes in our uplink report, we knew not many folks read the uplink reports after they are initially published, so in knowing this we took a poll.

The questions were as follows:

1) Hows the Picture Quality?
2) Does it look better, worse or the same since yesterday (or the last time you watched this channel if it was before yesterday)

The channels which changed were
9425 - ESPN2 HD
9426 - NFL HD
9429 - National Geographic HD
9435 - StarzHD
9461 - HGTV HD
9462 - Food HD

The overwhelming majority reported that the HD quality looked good, in fact most pointed out that the picture looked a little better then it did before!

This was surprising to hear especially from some of our "HD Lite" diehards.

So what did Dish change? What was the secret? Well here is the answer.

Yesterday Dish Network combined all 6 channels onto one transponder using new MPEG4 encoders.

Yes that is correct 6 HD Channels on one transponder! Before yesterday there was only two or 3 HD channels per transponder.

These encoders must be good, real good especially with folks reporting the picture looks better because the bandwidth for each channel was cut by more than HALF!

The MPEG4 channels were running at 12mb/s to 14 mb/s on Tuesday, and yesterday they are running from 5mb/s to 7mb/s! Quite a difference!

It should also be noted that the screen resolutions for all 6 channels have no changed in this upgrade.

Here are the resolutions:

9425 - ESPN2 1280 x 720
9426 - NFL 1440 x 1080
9429 - National Geographic HD 1280 x 720
9435 - StarzHD 1440 x 1080
9461 - HGTV HD Got - 1440 x 1080
9462 - FoodHD - 1440 x 1080

Finally we are seeing what true MPEG4 can do! But whats this mean for us the consumer? More HD Channels! I am hearing some buzz that Dish has some big HD plans coming down the road, they claim to be the HD leader and intended to stay that way!

Hopefully D* will follow ???

Last edited:
They won't follow until they get new SATS up.

There are too many users with the MPEG2 decoder boxes (including me) to start moving things over to MPEG4. That would leave MPEG2 users w/o those channels.

They need to start giving free upgrades to the MPEG2 boxes...

They won't follow until they get new SATS up.

There are too many users with the MPEG2 decoder boxes (including me) to start moving things over to MPEG4. That would leave MPEG2 users w/o those channels.

They need to start giving free upgrades to the MPEG2 boxes...

I have a feeling, in a few years time, all channels will be in MPG4, HD & SD. One receiver like the H20, will be used for all customers. Most broadcasts will be in 16 x 9 HD and the receiver will downconvert the HD signal to SD, with black horizonal bars on the top and bottom of the screen, to accommodate the last of the 4 x 3 screens that are still being used.

Actually this could be done today, if everyone had H20 receivers and/or HR20 DVRs.

Think of all the bandwidth that would free up, putting everything in MPG4 format and eliminating the duplicated transmissions of stations like the ESPN's, HBO, Showtime, TNT, etc.

O well, just a pipe dream, with a lot of reality.

I have a feeling, in a few years time, all channels will be in MPG4, HD & SD.

I would think D* would want to do that since they could continue to squeeze more channels into their existing bandwidth. What I don't understand is why D* didn't put the MPEG4 decoder chip into the R15 and the new (soon to come) D12 receivers? Is the price difference between a MPEG2 and MPEG4 hardware chip that much that it would be cheaper in the long run to have to do a box replacement if that is the future direction???

I would think D* would want to do that since they could continue to squeeze more channels into their existing bandwidth. What I don't understand is why D* didn't put the MPEG4 decoder chip into the R15 and the new (soon to come) D12 receivers? Is the price difference between a MPEG2 and MPEG4 hardware chip that much that it would be cheaper in the long run to have to do a box replacement if that is the future direction???

Rad,
What is the D-12 box, what are the details ?
SD/ HD, mpeg2, 4 , DVR , no DVR ect.

Thanks,
Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)