Did I get lucky?

bigthrust

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
My family and I have been watching less TV lately and decided to cut back programming. We had the Everything pak w/ 1 510 DVR, 1 HD 811 and 1 standard 301. In addition we had the HD pak since we had an 811. I lease my receivers from Dish. I called last night and talked to "Adam" who surprisingly knew his stuff and spoke plain and clear english (thank god!). I told Adam that I wanted to downgrade from the Everything pak to the the 180 + HBO/Cinemax and drop the HD pak. I asked him if I needed to send back my 811 HD receiver (I was told by a previous CSR that I had too if I dropped HD), Adam said nicely, "No, you can keep your 811 if you want". So now I have an 811, 510 and 301 (no receiver changes) with America's Top 180 + HBO/Cinemax. What I do like about this deal is that since I got to keep my 811, I can still get HBO HD since I am an HBO subscriber. Did I get lucky by being able to keep my 811? I think so.... :yes

new_to_hdtv said:
Lucky is when you win the Mega Lottery. Dish saying that you can keep your 811 is a fluke. I wish they'd fluke me. ;)

I love Dish flukes! :D

so I guess when I moved and switched locals, yet Dish gave me 2 sets of locals (and only billed me for one) for a year is a big fluke :)

(scary part, is 2 CSR's and 2 techs said I could keep both)

I would think that since you qualify for an HD channel (HBO) that you would have a case in keeping the 811 even if they initially say to return it. Maybe what you thought was luck was just a known but unmentioned fact from a CSR that "knew his stuff".

BigShowJoe said:
I would think that since you qualify for an HD channel (HBO) that you would have a case in keeping the 811 even if they initially say to return it. Maybe what you thought was luck was just a known but unmentioned fact from a CSR that "knew his stuff".

Well...I have talked to other CSR's (too many in fact) that DID NOT know their job and was not helpful at all. "Adam" was VERY helpful. As I had mentioned before, I was previously told that if the HD pak is cancelled and you lease the receiver, then you must return the 811 to Dish. I was told before that in order to lease an 811 receiver and keep it, you MUST subscribe to the HD pak. Now, "Adam" who, again. was very helpful to me, may not have either not known that the 811 MUST be returned to Dish after dropping the HD pak or it was in THEIR best interest to let me keep the 811 based on my customer status.

BigShowJoe said:

i agree.

Either you got really lucky or they messed up and will still expect the 811 back since someone could have told you wrong.

Stargazer said:
Either you got really lucky or they messed up and will still expect the 811 back since someone could have told you wrong.

I hope not. If they ask for it back, I will be pissed. :smug

Actually you still need the the 811 to get your locals in HD so under no circumstances should you give that up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts