Did my DPP44 die

ahope577

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Somerset PA
Hi Guys and Gals,
Hope everyone is having a great memorial day weekend.
Having a problem with my setup, I have tried everything to get back up and running and no joy so if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
Problem started yesterday after I disassembled my setup to refinish my hardwood floors (which look really nice now) I hooked up my 622 exactly as it was installed, (two days ago it had no problem) now I am getting a "problem has been detected with your setup" message and it runs a test switch on both inputs; 38 tests and nothing, when I go to the test switch screen it is not seeing any Sats, I have played around bypassing the diplexers, rebooting, rebooting the power inserter, checked all cables, the only thing I cannot do is play with the switch due to its location..... I have signed up for Dish Home Protection and plan on calling the local service center tomorrow (I want to call them direct as I am "moved" and they don't have a problem with it) however I would like to catch game 2 tonight of the Stanley Cup so if anyone has any suggestions I would be all for trying.
Thanks in advance
Dish 500+ Dish 500 (61.5) DPP44 feeding 622

Last edited:
Hi Guys and Gals,
Hope everyone is having a great memorial day weekend.
Having a problem with my setup, I have tried everything to get back up and running and no joy so if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
Problem started yesterday after I disassembled my setup to refinish my hardwood floors (which look really nice now) I hooked up my 622 exactly as it was installed, (two days ago it had no problem) now I am getting a "problem has been detected with your setup" message and it runs a test switch on both inputs; 38 tests and nothing, when I go to the test switch screen it is not seeing any Sats, I have played around bypassing the diplexers, rebooting, rebooting the power inserter, checked all cables, the only thing I cannot do is play with the switch due to its location..... I have signed up for Dish Home Protection and plan on calling the local service center tomorrow (I want to call them direct as I am "moved" and they don't have a problem with it) however I would like to catch game 2 tonight of the Stanley Cup so if anyone has any suggestions I would be all for trying.
Thanks in advance
Dish 500+ Dish 500 (61.5) DPP44 feeding 622

You could run a temp cable to the dish if you absolutely must have Stanley Cup tonight.

Make sure the red light is on for the black power supply for the switch. Then, make sure the power inserter is hooked up correctly with the LNB side connected to the wire coming from outside and the Receiver side connected to the receiver wiring.

You could run a temp cable to the dish if you absolutely must have Stanley Cup tonight.

Make sure the red light is on for the black power supply for the switch. Then, make sure the power inserter is hooked up correctly with the LNB side connected to the wire coming from outside and the Receiver side connected to the receiver wiring.

Vegas
Thanks for the reply, I see a green light on the power block for the power inserter, I have checked and double checked the power inserter is hooked up correctly with the switch input one going to the switch and the receiver is running to the receiver. I do not see a light on the inserter or a place for there to be a light on the inserter, only a light on the attached power brick/block. Should the switch have a power supply running to it? I thought that was what the inserter was for? I think I will skip the running of the cable as I currently don't have a ladder long enough to get to the dish and just go watch it at a friends place on VS....
Thanks again and your insight is truly appreciated.

There is only one light. Its on the power supply of the power inserter.

To my (and others) understanding, how many/what types of receivers are you currently running off of your DPP44? It may be a matter of swapping ports around on your switch.

There is only one light. Its on the power supply of the power inserter.

To my (and others) understanding, how many/what types of receivers are you currently running off of your DPP44? It may be a matter of swapping ports around on your switch.

I am running one vip622 off of the dpp44

At the risk of making you sound dumb, but have you verified that you're connected to output port 1 on your switch?

not a dumb question as I have been known to be dumb before.... I am assuming that it is and will verify in the morning, the reason I am assuming is that it worked prior to disconnecting....

check the coax going into the separator, it could have a piece of braid touching the center pin - if that doesn't work connect the coax directly to your receiver (bypass separator) to see if you get a signal, separator could have gone bad

check the coax going into the separator, it could have a piece of braid touching the center pin - if that doesn't work connect the coax directly to your receiver (bypass separator) to see if you get a signal, separator could have gone bad

I'll give these suggestions a try this evening, thanks again for all the suggestions I'll let you know the outcome.....
This is a great/helpful/friendly community here :)

I had this problem recently. In my case it was a bad ground on the coax from the receiver to the switch. If it goes through 38 tests, I believe it means it didn't find the DPP44, which normally goes through tests 1-4.

I had this problem recently. In my case it was a bad ground on the coax from the receiver to the switch. If it goes through 38 tests, I believe it means it didn't find the DPP44, which normally goes through tests 1-4.

Thanks jpmarto, would bypassing the seperator (if it is bad) solve this?

I know that it is a no-no to by pass the power inserter but 'can' it be done for the sake of trouble shooting.....
Again I am running only one receiver (two tuners, vip622 in dual).

No...I somehow doubt the separator isn't bad. But now that you got me thinking of "bypassing", the thought had occurred to me that perhaps one of your diplexers had failed. Assuming things are all home-ran (switch, 1st diplexer...all cables...etc) you could try bypassing your diplexers to see if THAT is the problem. Keep in mind you will lose TV2 when doing that.

No...I somehow doubt the separator isn't bad. But now that you got me thinking of "bypassing", the thought had occurred to me that perhaps one of your diplexers had failed. Assuming things are all home-ran (switch, 1st diplexer...all cables...etc) you could try bypassing your diplexers to see if THAT is the problem. Keep in mind you will lose TV2 when doing that.

Would a bad diplexor provide a snowy picture on TV2? Prior to running the checkswitch after reattaching the equipment and realizing there was a problem, I had picture on TV2 (MSNBC if I remember) it was terribly static/snowy (not very technical I know) looking.

Yes. Most definitely. Especially if the diplexer is either defective or wired incorrectly.

Thanks Webby I'll take a look this evening and see if I can get at the diplexers outside, just out of curiosity how much do diplexors tend to cost? I have a service call under Dish Home Protection in for Thursday however I am willing cancel and do a bit of DIY if it doesn't get too expensive :)

tried bypassing the diplexers and still getting the same problem.... i guess i will try the separator and see where that gets me.....

I would bypass the DPP44 switch and go directly from dish to the receiver. You may find out it's a bad cable or just the connector on the cable. Plus you'll be able see your hockey game.

Well tried all suggestions except for the home run from dish to receiver and no success, one additional thing I noticed this evening when in the check switch screen it does say under status is says reception verified but nothing under the switch section. I don't know if this is any help.... anyway I am off house hunting tomorrow after work and the service call is for Thursday morning so not much else I can do now, but I am truly apprciative of all the help people have given me.
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)