did my installer mess up?

david in texas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Well the Dish contractor came out Saturday (all beit 3 hours late) and installed my 522. But as he is telling me about the 522 is becomes clear he does not no much about it.

First he tells me that since my TV only has in video input that I cannot record two programs at once, or use PIP. This was after telling him that the 522 has built in PIP.

Then he did not know anything about Single or Dual mode.

Tonight for the first time we had to record two programs. While they were taping both had a (1) by them in the DVR menu and only the TV1 [recording] light has been lit. Is this normal?

I am using the 522 in SINGLE MODE.

They did not run a line to another TV. I told him I wanted the ability to record two things AT ONCE on the primary TV [where the 522 is hooked up too]. Is this right? If he had run a line to another TV can the 522 still be operated in either single or dual mode?

Thanks,
David

He was supposed to run a line to a second television set for you included in the installation. Also he was supposed to show you how to use your satellite receiver. I would call the company that you got it from and tell them that they need to come back out to install the second line to go to your second television and also show you how to use the receiver. If they refuse to then contact ceo@dishnetwork.com with your account information and explain the situation to them as you did to us (copy and paste works nice for that).

Yes you can record two things at the same time with this receiver. If the receiver is recording two things at the same time then you should see two red lights on the receiver. The receiver has PIP in single mode only. You can watch two different things at the same time on two different tv's if you are in dual mode. Also you can watch a previously recorded program by accessing the DVR Events screen even if you are recording two things at the same time.

So to confirm, with a line run to a second TV and in single mode, one can still record two things at once?

Like I said, this guy knew nothing about single or dual mode.

David

Yes, you can record 2 things in both single or dual. But with single mode and a line running to a 2nd tv, I would think you will have the same program that is on the 1st. Not sure though, haven't run in single.

If the unit is in single mode, the line running to the second TV (TV2) is not available. In single mode the 522's PIP works, basically that becomes the TV2 output.

You can always record 2 shows at once, but in that situation, you have to watch what is being recorded, or watch a previously recorded program.

Actually, in Single Mode, the line to the second TV can be turned on if you enable 'Shared View'. However both TV's will show the exact same thing - and either remote will control the unit.

And yes, you can still record 2 different shows, even while watching a pre-recorded program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)