Did you get your 3-D Glasses? Medium in 3-D 11/21

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Fans of "Medium" will get to see the lead character's visions more vividly than usual in a stunt set for November sweeps.
The NBC series is planning a 3-D episode for Monday, Nov. 21, in which Allison (newly minted Emmy winner Patricia Arquette) discovers she experiences art differently than most people -- by seeing what pieces of themselves artists put into their works. One such three-dimensional vision leads her to believe that the artist is hiding a dark secret.

"I first began exploring the possibility of doing a 3-D episode of television over a decade ago when I was working on 'Moonlighting,'" "Medium" creator Glenn Gordon Caron says. "When 'Medium' became successful, I realized that in many ways it was an even better vehicle for 3-D.

"Additionally, technology seems to have finally caught up with me. Jim Cameron, Robert Rodriguez and a host of other innovators have pushed the medium (you'll pardon the pun) into the 21st century, and our show and our viewers will be the beneficiaries of that."
The 3-D glasses needed to view the episode properly will be distributed in copies of TV Guide's Nov. 21 issue, which will be on newsstands a few days prior to the episode. NBC and the magazine will also distribute glasses to non-subscribers through street-level marketing campaigns.

Source

i saw a commercial for this. i am assuming it is hd since it is in the hd forum. i might check it out. i have 3d glasses from one of the kid movies.

When you put on 3-D glasses to watch portions of Monday's episode of "Medium," you can thank Pee Wee Herman for the experience. Yes, Pee Wee Herman.
Here, let "Medium" creator Glenn Gordon Caron explain:

"I was sort of reminded of my enthusiasm for 3-D at a party [series star Patricia Arquette] had. I ran into Paul Reubens who's a collector of TV memorabilia," Caron says. "He confessed to me that one of the things he owned was a test I did years ago with Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd for 'Moonlighting' in anticipation of a 3-D episode."

In Monday's (Nov. 21) episode, Allison DuBois (Arquette) discovers that she sees art differently than most people. The works of one artist stand out, as she sees disturbing 3-D images leap from his canvasses, leading her to suspect the artist has a dark secret.

Caron says that the real Allison DuBois, who serves as the inspiration for "Medium" and is a consultant to the show, hasn't told him she experiences visions in that way. "But she has talked about the degree of vividness with which she experiences things," he says.

"I really thought, What a wonderful, and wonderfully different, way to depict her visions, A. And B, what an interesting, provocative way to induce people who haven't sampled the show to sample it. And C, what a fun toy to play with."

NBC is distributing millions of pairs of 3-D glasses in copies of this week's TV Guide and through "street teams" in a number of cities (details on where to get them are at NBC.com). Caron adds, however, that those who watch the episode without the glasses will still be able to enjoy it as they would any other show.

Additionally, Caron has enlisted the beyond-the-grave help of "Twilight Zone" creator Rod Serling for help introducing the episode and explaining when viewers should don their 3-D glasses. The show has taken an introduction to a "Twilight Zone" episode and digitally altered it to fit "Medium" the help of voice actor Mark Silverman and the blessing of Serling's estate.

"Frankly, we're very flattered to be allowed to do this," Caron says, "to use his image and take advantage of the extraordinary legacy he has."

TV shows have tried 3-D episodes a few times in the past, with varying degrees of success (NBC's own "3rd Rock from the Sun" attempted one in 1997 that didn't go so well). Caron is confident the 3-D effects in "Medium" will add to the episode, and he wouldn't even mind doing another one.

"I've seen [the episode] in enough of a stage of completion for it to fall into my sort of usual pattern with this stuff, which is always to think of 800 things I should have done," he says. "Hopefully if people like it, maybe we'll get to do another one."

Source

Lifetime Television has acquired the exclusive basic cable and syndication rights to "Medium" in a deal with Paramount Domestic Television, the network said Monday.

from tvweek.com

Are these the same glasses as those that can be used for 3-d images on Discovery HD? Just curious.

I just bought a TV Guide for the Glasses at Publix for $1.06 w/ tax. I thought it was cheap that they aren't even 1 whole piece the sides slide in, might be flimsy but I guess I'll see how they do

Here is a sample 3-d image to test your glasses:

09-ml-5-post-B019R1_th250.jpg

I don't think 3D works to great on LCD Laptops, I've viewed the medium clip and that image and it didn't work great. The pictures in the TV Guide magazine look fine, but obviously the 3D depth does not really jump out at you to make a big deal about it. I feel a let down coming on...

Yeah, that clip looked ok in a small window, but it was no good when enlarged full-screen. Hopefully HD will look much better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts