Difference between 522 and 625?

SummitAdvantageRetailer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2004
East Coast
Guys,

I haven't read the release notes for the 522 and 625 receivers lately but I did notice that the release notes are the same for both receiver.

When the 625 was first released, the key differences were that the 625 had Dish PPV on Demand and the 522 didn't. The 522 now has name-based recording so that makes the two identical, but what about PPV on Demand? Are the 625's still the only ones (besides 942 and 622 that is) to have this feature and 522 not? Thanks!

The only differences are that the 625 has a larger hard drive than the 522 and with the larger hard drive, the 625 has Dish on Demand PPV. The 625 stores movies on the hard drive and they are available for purchase for $4.99 (I think). Also, you can only watch the movie only once.

The 522 will eventually have the same on demand stuff, just less of it.

As rick said, the only real difference is the hard drive. 522=120GB, 625=250GB

I think somebody (stone?) put a 250GB in a 522 and it decided it was a 625.

Thanks, guys. But as of now, I guess the difference between the two are that the 625 has the PPV on Demand now. I think the recording time between the two are the same so I'm not sure how DISH will be able to advertise 100 hour recording on the 522 when they enable PPV on Demand on it, which will eat a good chunk of the hard drive.

By the way, sorry for posting this in the general DISH forum. I thought I posted in the Technical forum. Please feel free to move this thread!

625 has Dish on demand movies that are available to you for a straight 24 hour period per movie that you order. The movie you order will end at any point its playing at 24 hours later, you are not able to record the movie on to your dvr's hard drive but all other dvr features are avialable to use on the movie.

Your question is in the right place as its not a tech support related question.

The dish on demand uses a separate partition from the normal recording space. The "normal" partition is the same size on both 522 and 625, thus the 625's VOD partition is much bigger. The 522 does have the previously unused partition though. "normal" recording time will not be affected.

Pepper said:
The 522 will eventually have the same on demand stuff, just less of it.

As rick said, the only real difference is the hard drive. 522=120GB, 625=250GB

I think somebody (stone?) put a 250GB in a 522 and it decided it was a 625.

fwiw

I put a 510 hd in a 625 and it thought it was a 522. :)

Long story. Customer stole the 625 hd. :(

Smith said:
In 522 used IDE (PATA) disks, is 625 have SATA interface ?
no, it's the HD 942 and ViP622 that have SATA. 522 and 625 are both IDE, only difference is size. The other hardware is identical.

SATA I or II

Pepper said:
no, it's the HD 942 and ViP622 that have SATA. 522 and 625 are both IDE, only difference is size. The other hardware is identical.
This is the answer to a question I had--IDE or SATA.

I would like a little more HD record time. Can I just buy a 500 Gb SATA drive and drop it in my ViP622? Posters seem to think this is okay, but I haven't read of anyone who has tried it just yet, and I don't want to void my warranty just yet.

Would it be SATA I or II?

Thanks in advance.

Pepper said:
The 522 does have the previously unused partition though. "normal" recording time will not be affected.
Did you leave "not" out of that sentence, between "522" and "does have" ?? The 522 might have a small, unused partition currently, but certainly not close to the reserved (for VOD) size that the 625 has. As someone mentioned, it will be interesting what Dish advertises for the # of hours the 522 can hold once it has VOD enabled. Then again, I imagine a simple "fine print" note will explain things.

no, I did not leave out "not" - the partition is there. I forget how big, but bigger than you might expect.

I have a 522 and can honestly say that I don't miss not having the VOD feature. In my opinion, having more recording time is much more desirable than having movies that I don't watch stored there. If I want to watch a movie, I can select it from one of the 10 channels that show the same one.

I would prefer it if dish gave us the choice of what to do with the HD space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)