Difference between 622 and 722? (aka is my 622 dying?)

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I think my Vip622 HD DVR is starting to die because more and more recordings have sections where it didn't record. It says it's due to the satellite signal but I've been watching TV during the same time period and it's perfectly fine.

The DVR has also been doing other strange things but I can't remember off the top of my head. Normally it works fine but it just seems like lately that something is wrong with it.

The DVR is about 1.5 years old in case that matters.

Anyways, is it possible for me to get a replacement or is it a big hassle? Should I wait for it to completely die (eg. doesn't turn on?) before calling?

Also, what is the difference between the 622 and the 722? Would I be able to "upgrade" to the 722 if I wanted?

Thanks for any advice!

make sure you have DHPP (like $5 per month and can be added or removed at anytime) and call up dish and tell them... The only difference between the 722 and the 622 is that the 722 is black and has a bigger HD.

I think I recall reading here that the 722 is "faster" than the 622 when navigating through menus, the guide, etc.

You might be able to upgrade for $75. That's the price they recently quoted me to upgrade my 522 to a 722 anyway.

It's possible the "strange things" you mention are related to the latest firmware downloads, in which case a new unit or even 622 vs 722 wont fix the problem. Of course, with out knowing specifics it's kinda hard to tell.

Regarding being able to watch but not record: Is it possible what you were watching was not coming from the same sat that you were recording from? It's possible you did loose a satellite, but it just happened to be the one you were trying to record from , not watch.

Basically my point is that it's possible your hardware is fine.

It have same parts exclude 320 vs 500 GB disk and updated in VC-1 part MPEG decoders: 7411 -> 7412.

No changes regarding speed or features ( exclude HD movie downloads in VC-1 format ) ! There is nothing to recall ;).

I am looking at switching my VIP 622 to a VIP 722, What features besides the Hard Drive is different on the VIP 722 receiver? Does the Dish Home Interactive show up in HD wide screen or is every thing the same with the VIP 622 as is with the 722 just Hard Drive size difference?? I can upgrade my 622 to a 722 for $125. Good Deal?? Or should I wait until the new line of 722's are out, with more features and with sling box??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts