Difference between Legecy and Pro?

aquaman67

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Tennessee
Difference between Legacy and Pro?

What's the difference bewteen the Legacy dual LNB and the Pro dual LNB?

I have a legecy system and I'm going to be installing two 301 receivers. (I ordered them directly from Dish and was told they'd be 311's.) :(

aquaman67 said:
What's the difference bewteen the Legacy dual LNB and the Pro dual LNB?

I have a legecy system and I'm going to be installing two 301 receivers. (I ordered them directly from Dish and was told they'd be 311's.) :(
only difference between a 301 and 311 is that the smartcard is built into the 311, otherwise they are identical, so I wouldn't worry about that.
As for legacy/dishpro, dishpro recievers (311, 510, etc...) are backward compatable with legacy, so you should be okay.

legacy vs pro

Well, for the limited discussion of running two 301 receivers on either kind of twin, the answer is : not much.
Neither needs any additional hardware to run just two receivers.

DishPro Twin:
long cable runs possible (200 ft)
high quality cable needed on longer runs
quicker to run switch test
adding more receivers or one more satellite is easy with the DP34 switch
only works on the newer 3-digit model number receivers (need adapter on older 4-digit receivers)
might be cheaper at around $60 for dish 'n lnb

Legacy Twin:
cable run generally limited to 100 feet
limited to two receivers - not really expandable
can add 3rd satellite with SW21 switch (one for each of two receivers)
works with older and newer receivers
might be cheaper if you find one around the neighborhood for free

Most of the things under Pro don't matter for most people, so either would work for you.

I actually caught a guy on the way to the dump with his dPro 500, 2nd dish, and dP34.
I got 'em for free, but gave the guy $20 anyway.

Thanks all.

I own a rental house and people have left dishes for me.

I have two dish 500 dishes and one from D*.

None of them are the pro models though.

Legacy is perfectly suitable for your needs.

Depending on the number of satellites and tuner outputs you currently have, converting to DishPro could be worthwhile when adding a 3rd tuner, adding a 3rd or certainly a 4th satellite, and definitely when adding a 5th tuner. Even in the last instance it is cheaper to put up another Dish 500.

Legacy is like.. all old and stuff.. and legacy-ish..

DISH PRO is PRO!! !! DUUUUUDE! DP!

Plus you get that cool
60351556_9505d2e225_m.jpg
logo!

Legacy doesn't have to look like Shaggy's install.:no Yep, dp is great and wonderful but if you already have a legacy setup that meets your needs it's not necessary to convert. I did however completely neglect to account for the logo in my earlier advice.:D

OoTLink said:
Shaggy's install looks like a redneck install but it still has the LNBs ;)

Ya, that is pretty funny. I hope E* takes better care of him than that!

I'm going to use two dishes because;

A) I already have it and several legacy dual LNBs

B) My house has a split floor plan. My kids rooms are on the opposite end of the house from where the dish I use now is. This will save me about 100' of coax between both runs but I will have to get another grounding rod...

sa: Redneck dish 1000 would be a primestar dish with 3 legacy dual LNBs duct taped onto the arm, dish mounted to a piece of wood with cinderblocks holding it down, and the rubber boots also being substituted with.. you guessed it, duct tape!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)